02-04-05, 12:08 AM   #1
Calenzo
A Defias Bandit
looking for addons (standalone) =)

hi,

i just read a couple of threads here in the forum especially the addons one but i'm still looking for some addons
may be same could help me. i'm looking for a rogue helper like the cosmos one , a world map which thows coordinates and a two slot weapon bar so that i dont have to open my char all the time for poison etc.
i know all this is includet in cosmos but i didnt manage to run them without the rest of cosmos.
thx in advance
Calenzo
02-05-05, 07:59 AM   #2
Calenzo
A Defias Bandit
hmm sad i thought there are only cracks out there
02-06-05, 10:01 AM   #3
Calenzo
A Defias Bandit
=( .
02-06-05, 10:47 AM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
You can try looking at these two, see if they fit your needs:

MapNotes

WeaponQuickSwap
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
02-07-05, 05:55 PM   #5
aaronsullivan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Standalone AddOns seem VERY scarce at this site. You have to look in bundles.

Any ideas on how to get more people interested in posting them here? Is the method too difficult?

There are places that I am seeing much more activity, but I generally like it here and would like to see it "grow up" more quickly with content.

Any ideas on how this can be done? Should we just start posting other people's stuff we see elsewhere?
02-07-05, 06:07 PM   #6
Goatus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Well i also would like wowinterface to grow much more stronger than it is now
I think that big plus of this site is: when you look through forums and addon list it feels that mod authors are really here supporting and answering questions...

as for other pages... well many of them just have addons added by random ppl not authors and descriptions ripped from other sites... That way they can have loads of addons which definetly bring more ppl to this site, but their addon versions are often out of date or bugged and many questions on their site stays unanswered...
02-07-05, 07:45 PM   #7
aaronsullivan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
It just makes me a little nervous for the site.

Here's the scenario as I'm seeing it from my point of view. (I am a computer instructor/Gamer/Game programmer that has been spending hours researching not only how to make AddOns, but studying the community around them and trying to find what I want and need for my own playing habits.)

I think the work that the CTMod crew and the Gypsy Mod people have done is great. The people working on Cosmos have made tremendous contributions to understanding and coding AddOns, BUT I'm starting to see a trend towards the standalone stuff. Why?

Cosmos, unfortunately, is a bloated mess (imo) and a MAJOR turn off to UI customization altogether because it has been so popular. It's a coder's UI. They don't even describe what it IS on the front page. Perfectly acceptable to a programmer who is used to using interface garbage like sourceforge.net and wading through forums to discover command-line commands, but completely off-putting to the average gamer. It's a work in progress, and the programmers like it that way. It's a UI for programmers NOT players, imo.

Again, I want to stress that a lot of people have worked hard and offered a ton to the community. My point is that the end result seems sort of misguided.

It's real simple. Blizzard already HAS a method for turning individual addOns on and off, why do we need a second overcomplicated interface for modules WITHIN a module. It makes no sense in the long run.

All Blizzard needs to do is add a standard AddOn options menu option on the system button, so that each of the addOns a player has installed can have a little interface page if they want one (for preferences.)

Anyway, I see more and more requests for standalone versions of AddOns in these collections and I see no good reason (except for the GUI for preferences that Blizzard could easily solve) to KEEP them in a collection.

It's early yet and the game (WoW) is still new, but I just think the faster this site can get those stand-alones (AND their coders' support) on this site, the better.
02-07-05, 09:00 PM   #8
Inokis
EQInterface Staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The difficulty from what I've seen is a combination of a few factors. One of which is the learning curve for people who aren't 'programmers'. I for one have great difficulty grasping any programming language. I can modify existing scripts but to code one from scratch makes my brain hurt. I don't know how many people fall into this category, but I have tried many, many times to grasp programming languages and I'm either going about it the wrong way or I'm too stubborn to give up.

Another factor has to do with the makeup of the default UI. I've found that many windows call scripts from completely different window.lua files. For instance, in the Pet and Player Windows, they utilize scripts from other windows for things such as the combat damage indicators and the popup dialogues. My end goal is to be able to break down the default UI into standalone components with independent scripts rather than mixed and entangled scripts.

The fact that WoW is so new is another huge contributor to why there aren't many standalone add ons yet. Only the people with a good understanding of scripting have the ability to do so at present. Until good scripting libraries are built, it will be tough for anyone but these coders to do it.
02-07-05, 09:31 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by aaronsullivan
Standalone AddOns seem VERY scarce at this site. You have to look in bundles.

Any ideas on how to get more people interested in posting them here? Is the method too difficult?
There are a few reasons why we aren't growing as fast as some of the other sites. I think a copy/paste of something I posted on the Blizz forums when folks were busy slamming this site (per usual, for whatever reason) sums it up pretty well:

Originally Posted by Cairenn
(1/26/2005 11:08:18 PM PST) No, we don't have as many mods available as the other sites. Yet. We’ve only been re-opened for 12 days so far, and in those 12 days, we've had 1,913 people register accounts. Whether we will get more AddOns or not, will remain up to the Mod Authors. If folks upload their mods to our site, then we will have more available. If they don't, we won't.

We were around during closed beta, but some (non-Blizz related) issues arose that required that we drop the site for a period of time, and as soon as those issues were resolved, we re-opened. If you look at the little block down at the bottom of the forums page, you see: Most users ever online was 297, 03-25-2004 at 07:30 PM. That date was during Closed Beta.

Yes, we do ask that you register in order to post or to download, but the only reason we do that is because we like to have an idea of the number of folks that are using our site. The lists aren't given to other sites, they aren't sold to spam email companies, nothing. The lists never leave our site and aren't used for anything beyond that. Period.

The only thing we have to base our expectations for WoWInterface.com on was our usefulness for the EQ community at EQInterface.com and the numbers there. EQI presently has 221,361 registered users, who can access the 2,348 mods currently available on that site. Only time will tell if it will work that way with WoWI or if it will be as some suggest, that requiring registration will kill the site.

We have not, do not and will not try to detract from any other mod hosting site. So far as we are concerned, the more sites that are available to help the player base, the better. Choice is good. Some people will use one site over another, but then again some people will play some games over another as well. Everyone is different and so different sites appeal to different people. We aren't "competing" with anyone, we aren't trying to be "the" site.

As long as we're providing a service to the community and people can come to the site and find something useful, then we're doing our job. It's not about competition. All we are doing is carrying our love of providing this sort of service over to the new game which we play.
ie: The fact that we got (re)started "late". The fact that we ask folks to register. I'm not sure why that's such a big deal, but it is, for some. The fact that we won't run around snagging mods from everywhere else and just slapping them up on the site (see more on this below). The fact that we moderate every mod that comes through the site, checking for virus, keyloggers, trojans, etc, and that we moderate every update to every mod that gets posted, to ensure that a previously safe mod remains safe.

There are places that I am seeing much more activity, but I generally like it here and would like to see it "grow up" more quickly with content.
We'd like to see it grow too, but we're quite content watching it grow at a steady supported rate. It'll get there. We're here for the long-haul.

Any ideas on how this can be done? Should we just start posting other people's stuff we see elsewhere?
Please please please, do NOT do this. The only mods we want on this site are ones that the authors have uploaded themselves and will be supporting themselves. This does include recompliations, with the proviso being that the original authors be credited, per usual.

I know you weren't seriously considering it, but if on the bizarre chance you were, please don't.

And yes, it's still early days yet. Everything comes with time, both the growth of our site, and the growth of the mods.

Last edited by Cairenn : 02-09-05 at 01:11 AM.
02-07-05, 10:20 PM   #10
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

if you find a good add on and its not on this site, post the site not a download for it..
02-07-05, 10:46 PM   #11
aaronsullivan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
For what it counts, I respect the goals of the site, and I think it's the right way to go. Keep it up.

I guess getting the word out at the official forums might get some AddOn creators coming this way. I also can't believe people are so turned off to registering. It's a SAFEGUARD more than anything.

Thanks for all the hard work I know a site like this is. Keeping consistent quality brings "quality" visitors and the visitors are what end up shaping the site.

If I ever get my AddOn going, I'll post it here first.
02-07-05, 11:51 PM   #12
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Appreciate the vote of confidence.

The thing you, our users, can do to try to help the site grow is simply to get the word out there. Suggest us to your friends, your guildmates. Request your favourite UI author to make their mods available here. The only request we have is that you do so without detracting from other sites. We don't do that, and we ask that our users respect that as well. Saying "I prefer X site" is fine. Saying "X site r00ls, Y site suxorz, there all a bunch of l0zerz" isn't.

And now, sorry for the derail of the thread ...
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
02-08-05, 07:18 AM   #13
primacron
A Kobold Labourer
A lil help.

Ok, for the map locations and etc, you can simply install the ones that came with cosmos. I use gypsy myself, and have mapnotes and worldmapinfo installed as standalones.

For the bars.... I'm not sure. I use a whole second row of buttons. I have my poisions on it, and just hit c to open up the char screen and apply them that way. I tried to drag the weapons to that bar, but it would not work for me. (Applying the poisions, I could drag the weapons onto the bar fine)

Last edited by primacron : 02-08-05 at 07:21 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » looking for addons (standalone) =)