06-30-09, 02:14 PM   #41
ffxiedyn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
People need to get back to their roots and remember its a game and its meant to be fun and entertaining.

Sadly, the people that you are unhappy with, are actually happy playing the way they do, with spreadsheets and a calculator and an epeen and being elitist.

For them, the game would be no fun if they played it the way you do.

Sad, but true.

Last edited by ffxiedyn : 06-30-09 at 02:20 PM.
06-30-09, 02:19 PM   #42
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Hopefully with Blizzard's implementation of extended lockouts for Raids, casual players can stay in their casual guilds and leave the hardcore elitists to their raiding guilds. Now casual players don't have a set time of a week to clear a raid instance before all their hard work is washed away, forcing them to start over.
06-30-09, 07:05 PM   #43
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ffxiedyn View Post
People need to get back to their roots and remember its a game and its meant to be fun and entertaining.

Sadly, the people that you are unhappy with, are actually happy playing the way they do, with spreadsheets and a calculator and an epeen and being elitist.

For them, the game would be no fun if they played it the way you do.

Sad, but true.
I can understand that. Though from what ive seen as well as heard over vent some of them have an odd definition of having fun. Seen my fair share of people getting completely bent out of shape over this stuff. Perhaps its just me but i dont see a wipe or series of wipes in a raid as something to get angry about. Let alone rant and rave about in voice chat. Disappointed sure. But there is always a next time.

I wont say i dont like setting a goal and accomplishing it. Its one of the many joys in a game of this style. I just dont see the fun it letting it get to you or ruin your evening. Granted its not every hardcore player though there are enough to go around that im sure most of us if not all of us have run in to this type of player.

Then again im more of the teaching type as opposed to the yelling type. =)

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
06-30-09, 08:49 PM   #44
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I can understand that. Though from what ive seen as well as heard over vent some of them have an odd definition of having fun. Seen my fair share of people getting completely bent out of shape over this stuff. Perhaps its just me but i dont see a wipe or series of wipes in a raid as something to get angry about. Let alone rant and rave about in voice chat. Disappointed sure. But there is always a next time.

I wont say i dont like setting a goal and accomplishing it. Its one of the many joys in a game of this style. I just dont see the fun it letting it get to you or ruin your evening. Granted its not every hardcore player though there are enough to go around that im sure most of us if not all of us have run in to this type of player.

Then again im more of the teaching type as opposed to the yelling type. =)
I was gonna link a video from youtube to kind of emphasize your point, but I could not find a single one that was even close to 'adult' appropriate to link here. There are hundreds of nerd rage videos showing just how great some people's personalities are, 95% of those videos (my own rough estimate) are from World of Warcrack. Go to youtube, search nerd rage or raid rage or even PvP rage and you'll have a censor's nightmare before you eyes.

I enjoyed most of my time in WoW up 'til the WotLK xpac, but the behaviour that is exhibited from players now is just too darned extreme for me to enjoy it (the game), and when I left it seemed to only be getting more extreme (or maybe I was just better at hiding from these nut cases before?). I've even had death threats from level one's coming over to my faction when I PvPed on my Druids, Blizzard's response was to /ignore them. I've often thought about coming back, but life is so much more peaceful now.
06-30-09, 09:13 PM   #45
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I was gonna link a video from youtube to kind of emphasize your point, but I could not find a single one that was even close to 'adult' appropriate to link here. There are hundreds of nerd rage videos showing just how great some people's personalities are, 95% of those videos (my own rough estimate) are from World of Warcrack. Go to youtube, search nerd rage or raid rage or even PvP rage and you'll have a censor's nightmare before you eyes.

I enjoyed most of my time in WoW up 'til the WotLK xpac, but the behaviour that is exhibited from players now is just too darned extreme for me to enjoy it (the game), and when I left it seemed to only be getting more extreme (or maybe I was just better at hiding from these nut cases before?). I've even had death threats from level one's coming over to my faction when I PvPed on my Druids, Blizzard's response was to /ignore them. I've often thought about coming back, but life is so much more peaceful now.
I cant say ive had threats but i have seen my fair share of gaming rage. Its why i tend to stick to running with my guild and our close friends. I do occasionally play filler in raids for a friends guild and continue to do so because the people are proving to be the type of people i like to play with.

If a run fails its all in good spirits and they try again. Plenty of practical jokes (example: misdirecting on to the guild leader who is a rogue on a saph pull) which we managed to down after about 3 seconds of confusion. Other people might have flipped out. Screamed or just outright left over it. These folks not only stayed in it but went on to down KT just after as it was all in good fun.

In the end thats the kind of people i prefer to run with. Though i will have to say that in the end its not my monthly fee so how people choose to define their fun is entirely up to them.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
07-01-09, 05:17 AM   #46
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I'll just say that some players must have a VASTLY different definition of the word fun than the way I interpret it.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
07-01-09, 06:38 AM   #47
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
I'll just say that some players must have a VASTLY different definition of the word fun than the way I interpret it.
/agreed

You know, I used to raid with a raid leader who would, at least four times over the course of the night, shout and scream obscenities over Vent about how much our guild was a big pile of fail for not downing {insert-boss-here}, none of the dps were generating respectable numbers for their classes, the tanks couldn't hold aggro, or the healers were dead weight. But, at the end of the raid, he'd always tell us all how awesome we are and how much fun he had...

The first time he went off on me for stealing aggro off three tanks (Mages who remember their first raid know what I'm talking about ), I just about left the guild altogether because I thought it was entirely unnecessary. My guild leader begged me not to take it wrong and to just bide my time until the end of the raid, and sure enough, the raid leader was sweeter than banana cream pie. I was baffled, but I got over myself.

Some people just play the game that way. Their hardcore mode switch is broken permanently in the on position, and it confuses the crap out of me. For them, the game hasn't been fun if their blood pressure didn't rise to the point of bursting a capillary. Their definition of fun does indeed differ than mine, but at least their getting the most out of their $12-15 a month, eh?

07-01-09, 02:52 PM   #48
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

It's gotta be getting pretty bad when such major influences as Cogwheel are leaving the game. I mean, the man wrote a book on authoring addons! And now he's offering his mods up to anyone who wants to take them over. Of course, I don't have any idea what prompted him to leave, but its still a sad day in WoW Land.

07-01-09, 05:17 PM   #49
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post

at least four times over the course of the night, shout and scream obscenities over Vent
That's something that would irritate the hell out of me. People need to remember that when you're in Vent, you are basically sitting in someone else's home. Anyone in that person's room can hear what you say. It's not just that, but how can you respect anyone who screams at you, much less screams obscenities at you, in a game that's supposed to be fun?

Lucky for me I've never been in a guild where a raid leader behaved in such a manner.
07-01-09, 11:25 PM   #50
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

A little wtf moment from my guildie today. My guild mate inquired in to an advertisement in trade for an Ulduar run. I saw the same one but didnt ask due to time constraints. It basically asked for geared people for ulduar. nothing more nothing less. He sent a tell and was told (im quoting my guildie here) ' If you haven't been to Ulduar then you cant go to Ulduar'

**confused**

Now i can imagine its a 'we want people who have done the fights' sort of thing. But the logic in general baffles me. Hes certainly geared but has never gone before and was turned down simply because he hasnt gone. I'll just never understand that logic. I am curious to know if the run ever got off the ground.

07-02-09, 12:02 AM   #51
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I'm surprised any Ulduar runs ever get off the ground, to be honest. This seems to be the prevailing wind in WoW nowadays.

07-02-09, 12:35 AM   #52
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I loath pugs for that very reason. Call me stuck-up, but I only group/raid with friends or guildies.
07-02-09, 12:41 AM   #53
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
I loath pugs for that very reason. Call me stuck-up, but I only group/raid with friends or guildies.
Very much agreed!

07-02-09, 05:20 PM   #54
pHishr
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

People are just asshats nowadays. In BC I could have a conversation with anyone that I grouped with, and after the instance/quest/whatever was done, we'd continue to chat, I've had nearly ZERO of those encounters in LK.

And if 4 out of 5 got the kill/loot/whatever, the rest would stay too help, but people just won't do that anymore.

If I look at my friends list, I see maybe 2 more people I've befriended in Wrath, the rest are from BC.

edit: My post doesn't make sense really, but I hope you understand!
07-02-09, 05:46 PM   #55
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Makes perfect sense to me. The only people I befriend anymore are the people I know from here on WoWI, and of course, my girlfriend. And she's the one that introduced me to WoW in the first place!

07-05-09, 08:55 AM   #56
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Too many times, people don't stop to remember that once upon a time, they were nubs! To agree with Midge, this "You can't go if you haven't been there before!" attitude is perplexing. If I've never been to Ulduar before, and I can't get in, how am I ever supposed to make it to Ulduar so I can get in to Ulduar? Everyone has to learn some time, and before someone can be pro, they have to go through the nub learning process. I had a guildie say the following to me about nubs, and I have adopted the philosophy:

Nubs are people who don't know any better and are willing to learn. Scrubs are people who are a high enough level or have been playing the game long enough to know by now and still haven't learned.

I'd rather take the Udluar nub than the stuck up scrub with me any day of the week and twice on Sabbath.

07-23-09, 11:21 PM   #57
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I just transferred my only level 80 to Nesingwary to be in The Knights Who Say nUI (shameless plug), simply because I know and trust everyone who founded the guild (including myself lol). My gear right now is an embarrassing conglomeration (I've always wanted to use that word in a sentence) of rares and epics, some of which I'm sure aren't the best armor or weapons for my class. These are the kind of things that have prevented me from even attempting to go on even a 10 man raid. But now that we've established a guild of our own, populated by people I know, like and above all trust not to make fun of me because I haven't bothered to become epiced out, my interest in the entire game has blossomed again.

(More shameless promotion of our guilds follows, if you don't likee, don't readee )

Note that the nUI guilds are NOT restricted solely to people using nUI. We consider ourselves to be more an extension of WoW Interface than anything else. We have guilds on both the Horde and Alliance sides, and both guilds are growing daily. Anyone, and I do mean anyone who is interested in a very laid back and relaxed guild atmosphere should at least check out the link and see what you think.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » A new place to complain...