07-02-09, 12:15 PM   #61
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Around 2.4, they added friends notes, etc etc.
They did?

I thought I had to have an addon for that.
07-02-09, 12:42 PM   #62
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Nope. It's default.
07-02-09, 02:43 PM   #63
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Wow, I don't think I've seen a single rant on this thread. Not one. I've seen people questioning (in a completely reasonable manner, in my opinion) why Bliz would rather re-do the work that has already been done by addon authors than come up with extra (and better) content. I've seen people comment on how Bliz has messed things up in the past when they've taken over the functionality of certain addons, again in a reasonable manner. No rants, as far as my eyes can see anyway. One more thing, if the commentary is about the upcoming patch, how can it be off topic?

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
07-02-09, 06:37 PM   #64
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Post #54 on page 3 is definitely a rant if any, lol
I'm known for exaggerating.
07-02-09, 07:30 PM   #65
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Post #54 on page 3 is definitely a rant if any, lol
I'm known for exaggerating.
Ok, I'll give you that one. It was rant-ish, anyway. But still, one little semirant out of... Ummm... However many posts there are... Not a bad percentage based on what I've seen in the last few months.

*EDIT* 1 out of 66. Slightly better than 98% rant-free and counting!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
07-02-09, 07:34 PM   #66
Arcadian Del Sol
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I say they should devote this time to content over a better UI that the community has been doing already.
Everyone should write this on a postcard and mail it to Blizzard. Maybe if they get 300 some postcards that all say this, they'll get the message.
07-03-09, 03:57 AM   #67
ffxiedyn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Since Blizzard only allows some of the UI to be tinkered with, the UI that is being "done by the community" can never be "better" then a UI that Blizzard could implement. (speaking as far as code, and what functionality that code could be manipulated by "us" vs. "them")

The only difference is that a personally done UI caters to well... more personal tastes, and that is the sole reason for Blizzard letting the UI have addons, not so the community can make a "better" UI.

In all honesty, it's still Blizzards game, and what they say goes. I dont think they would ever make the drastic change to "user UI only" w/o at the very least 90% of their paid subs actually petitioning for such a change.

But good luck! I think the users would have a higher chance of getting together and creating their "own" game before Blizzard ever let's them have complete and sole control over "their" UI. =P
07-08-09, 08:19 PM   #68
Ross
A Theradrim Guardian
Was curious with all these changes what addons am I not gonna have to use anymore.

Like for example I won't need Doublewide , Sellfish. Any other big ones?
07-08-09, 10:30 PM   #69
orionshock
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

The thing about blizzard implemented 'addon' features is that blizzard can code certain things that addons can utilize. I half expected item rack or even a new addon to enhanse the blizzard equipment mangaer, filling in the gaps that the blizzard one couldn't but was standard in the rest. That's usually what tends to happen. One of the biggest things we get when blizzard adds in stuff from community addons is more API's for authors to play with.

IE:: colored names in chat. Many addons already do this, but when blizzard implemented it, they gave us a new API.
Code:
localizedClass, englishClass, localizedRace, englishRace, sex = GetPlayerInfoByGUID("guid")
Now we can color names how we want still but with greater ease and simplicity. This is a definate plus for us authors. It also gives us player GUID in chat events. Rather usefull, with that we can set a tooltip with the guid and scan the player's guild name and the player's level, provided we've seen them in game, with out using the /who system.

The new quest api stuff is great too. Now we don't need addons like carbonite's and quest helper's Obseenly Huge ingame database of all the quest nodes. Those addons will still exist when the new patch comes, but the addons now will turn to tweeking and improving the default ui's use of this material. Instead of having to not only bring their own beef but also their own grill.

Also I can feel that blizzard is sequentially getting rid of all the LibBabble_* stuff. First started with GetSpellInfo(Id), then in this new patch they have a new api for filling a table with english and localized class names.

So wtih each new addon they merge into the default ui, we the authors get new api's to play with. Im all for New API's to use

Last edited by orionshock : 07-08-09 at 10:39 PM.
07-09-09, 07:38 AM   #70
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by orionshock View Post
half expected item rack or even a new addon to enhanse the blizzard equipment mangaer, filling in the gaps that the blizzard one couldn't but was standard in the rest.
~lart orionshock

Tekkub's made a couple of addons to compliment the blizzard equipment manager. Mostly I use his ones and a couple of broker type addons to do what I need. Yes I know its more addons but at least they're the "do one thing and do it really well" class of addons.

In other news the wowace boys & girls have a new diff file for the new 10072 PTR patch up already
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
07-13-09, 01:50 PM   #71
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm really happy to see the vendor price thing -- those databases have been a PITA to maintain, and not having to worry about them anymore will reduce my addon load noticably.
07-13-09, 02:16 PM   #72
Mikord
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by orionshock View Post
Also I can feel that blizzard is sequentially getting rid of all the LibBabble_* stuff. First started with GetSpellInfo(Id), then in this new patch they have a new api for filling a table with english and localized class names.
Due to being incredibly busy with real life stuff, I haven't had a chance to really dig into the changes yet, but on a cursory look I didn't see that one. Would you mind sharing the particulars of the call?
07-14-09, 04:47 AM   #73
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Bruners View Post
Are you guys really complaining that blizzard implements new features that the community clearly wants?
It means less AddOns to maintain & update and most likely better performance than using AddOns.
I'm not an author, so I can't answer this question to those ends. I can speak as an end user, and I do have a wishbone to pick with Blizzard about how they've implimented certain AddOns: I wish Blizzard could impliment AddOns and actually impliment all of the features of the AddOns they're mimicking.

The easiest example I can bring to the table for this is their Outfitter rip-off. It's still more efficient for me to have Outfitter than use Blizzard's Equipment Manager if only because Outfitter does it more efficiently. It's easier to update Outfits, you can have single item Outfits in the Accessories, and the little item slot window that pops up next to each item in the chacacter pane is really handy (it saves on drag-and-drop time from bags to the character pane).

To be quite honest, I'd be thrilled to pieces if Blizzard was outright "stealing" code from AddOns. I like the way my AddOns function. Why can't Blizzard just be the Borg and assimilate them?

Anyways... /end rant

Back on topic, I'm super excited about the next patch. Lowered mount and skill prices are groovy. PvP stuff is groovy. Content is groovy. This is the first patch for which I've been truly excited since 3.0 dropped pre-Wrath.

*twitch*

Last edited by us2006027321 : 07-14-09 at 04:50 AM.
07-14-09, 09:53 AM   #74
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post
I'm not an author, so I can't answer this question to those ends. I can speak as an end user, and I do have a wishbone to pick with Blizzard about how they've implimented certain AddOns: I wish Blizzard could impliment AddOns and actually impliment all of the features of the AddOns they're mimicking.
Knowing their design philosophies Blizzard tends to go the route of implementing the most basic and bare bones facsimile of an addon. They're happy leaving the more complicated stuff to addon authors.

Also if you have a look at some of the header files of the built in XML they have on occasion credited addon authors in it. Cruising wow-compares.com I've seen a few names in their. Not as much as everyone would like but still there.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » PTR Patch 3.2.0 User Interface Notes