06-20-09, 01:55 PM   #21
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
You don't have to be a hardcore raider to want to avoid being around a bunch of stupid damned kids.
As a parent, I think you need to tone it down a bit. That's very offensive. I've grouped with 7 year olds that behave better than you are at the moment.
06-20-09, 02:21 PM   #22
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
I've grouped with 7 year olds that behave better than you are at the moment.
Then I'm clearly not talking about them...am I? If you guys don't know what I'm talking about, perhaps you all play on some holy divine realm where everyone acts mature and everyone tries to uplift each other rather than tear everyone in sight down. Congratulations.

Tell ya what, let's do an experiment. Roll a toon on a random server. Head to your nearest major city. Open trade chat. Read the results. See all the stupid damned kids? Guess what? It may very well be offensive. I call it as I see it. Sorry if that's offensive but that's just a sign of the times.

Case rested.

Last edited by Republic : 06-20-09 at 02:23 PM.
06-20-09, 02:38 PM   #23
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Then I'm clearly not talking about them...am I? If you guys don't know what I'm talking about, perhaps you all play on some holy divine realm where everyone acts mature and everyone tries to uplift each other rather than tear everyone in sight down. Congratulations.

Tell ya what, let's do an experiment. Roll a toon on a random server. Head to your nearest major city. Open trade chat. Read the results. See all the stupid damned kids?

Case rested.
First, let me get this out of the way. I'm with Voodoo on this one; "us<insertnumber> has proven over and over in these forums his integrity and intelligence and I know without a doubt that what he said happened, happened exactly the way he describes it. And I trust him without any verification at all, thank you very much!".

US stated from the get-go that his guild is a very loosely organized social/leveling guild. You're coming in here and trying to compare it to a serious raiding guild. These are two very very different types of guilds and you shouldn't even of brought up the comparison. It doesn't have anything to do with his situation at all, so quit trying to derail the topic. He allows children in his guild. It's his, he has that right, and no one on this forum has the right to tell him how he should run it much less what age bracket it should or shouldn't be. Period.

You obviously do not like children. Since this is the case, you need to cancel your account because there will always be children in WoW. Weather you like it or not.
06-20-09, 04:45 PM   #24
Republic
Paladin

First, let me get this out of the way. I'm with Voodoo on this one; "us<insertnumber> has proven over and over in these forums his integrity and intelligence and I know without a doubt that what he said happened, happened exactly the way he describes it. And I trust him without any verification at all, thank you very much!".

US stated from the get-go that his guild is a very loosely organized social/leveling guild. You're coming in here and trying to compare it to a serious raiding guild. These are two very very different types of guilds and you shouldn't even of brought up the comparison. It doesn't have anything to do with his situation at all, so quit trying to derail the topic. He allows children in his guild. It's his, he has that right, and no one on this forum has the right to tell him how he should run it much less what age bracket it should or shouldn't be. Period.

You obviously do not like children. Since this is the case, you need to cancel your account because there will always be children in WoW. Weather you like it or not.
I love kids. While I have none of my own, I'm constantly babysitting for my 3 nephews (living 2 houses down from me, so I'm around them constantly). However, I've never once had the parents of a 9 year old boy jump my case for anything. As you've stated you are a parent and despite some of your comments to me here I think you are a reasonable person, I'd be willing to bet you don't just go after people for no reason either. Think about it.

What part of parents being provoked has anything to do with the OP's honorable intentions or the way he chooses to run his guild? Or, do you think that reasonable parents are sitting around ready to pounce on nice strangers who give people birthday gifts? Parental perception is the issue here. It isn't about the OP, his intentions, or his guild. Look at the deeper issue and get past the petty crap.

Frankly, unless your kids are dumb, I don't even understand why you'd take offense to me talking about stupid damned kids. I'm only an uncle but I'll assure you that I didn't even have my own nephews in mind when I spoke of the stupid kids in wow in this forum. Why the hell would you read my words and consider them applicable to your own kids? I'm not sure why you'd lump your own kids into the statement. Ever notice people sometimes WORK at finding something offensive? Give me a break. Thanks.
06-20-09, 05:38 PM   #25
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Tell ya what, let's do an experiment. Roll a toon on a random server. Head to your nearest major city. Open trade chat. Read the results. See all the stupid damned kids? Guess what? It may very well be offensive. I call it as I see it. Sorry if that's offensive but that's just a sign of the times.
Case rested.
How do you know that those idiots in trade chat are not Stupid Damned ADULTS??

Or are you asking everyone their age in trade first???

Age means nothing. There are stupid kids and stupid adults. There are smart kids and smart adults.

You say you ask their ages for your guild .. who's to say that the age they give is accurate. I'm only 13. Or maybe I'm 34. You don't know. To say you can tell a persons age by they way they act in trade is a pretty bold statement ... maybe you should work at a Carnival guessing peoples ages.

HOW DO YOU KNOW that the person in your guild who is supposedly 30+, is very well "spoken", acts appropriate is not really 12??? Just because they act older doesn't mean they are.

Now have fun dissecting what I have said as I'm sure you plan on doing it. Just like you claim everyone always WORKS to find something offensive .. you seem to WORK very hard at trying to know it all ...

How old are you?
06-20-09, 06:04 PM   #26
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

I think we should end the bickering.

Luckily for me, I am a member of a great guild. I was the GM's first "WoW Friend" and now he has inherited the role of GM for this guild. Most of the "WoW Friends" I make tend to be a lot older than I and I am perfectly fine with that. Adults aren't all mean and grumpy ya know. I am only 15 myself so there is a lot of people older than I.

Point is: Everyone is different. Everyone has there pros and cons. We also run into good and bad incidents. For US, he ran into a bad event. We can actually learn more from "bad things" a majority of the time. So, with this unfortunate event, we move on and learn from it. We shouldn't be arguing to each other over WoW.
06-20-09, 07:13 PM   #27
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
How do you know that those idiots in trade chat are not Stupid Damned ADULTS??

Or are you asking everyone their age in trade first???

Age means nothing. There are stupid kids and stupid adults. There are smart kids and smart adults.

You say you ask their ages for your guild .. who's to say that the age they give is accurate. I'm only 13. Or maybe I'm 34. You don't know. To say you can tell a persons age by they way they act in trade is a pretty bold statement ... maybe you should work at a Carnival guessing peoples ages.

HOW DO YOU KNOW that the person in your guild who is supposedly 30+, is very well "spoken", acts appropriate is not really 12??? Just because they act older doesn't mean they are.

Now have fun dissecting what I have said as I'm sure you plan on doing it. Just like you claim everyone always WORKS to find something offensive .. you seem to WORK very hard at trying to know it all ...

How old are you?
The issue here was with a kid. Why would I include stupid adults as well? Obviously, there are many. Had this topic began with a stupid adult, I would have responded appropriately.

Btw, if you sound like your balls haven't dropped yet, there's a real good chance you aren't 35. I already said anyone can say anything. I also said trust but verify. If a kid says he's 30 and sounds like he's too young to bag groceries, well, you do the math. It isn't rocket science.

And for the record, I never said I ask anyone's ages. I assume 2 things 1) everyone's a dude, and 2) everyone's a kid. If I find otherwise, I'm pleasantly surprised. I carry myself with a certain standard of behavior that doesn't involve screwing other people over (via loot, etc.) or talking like a teamster in open/public chat channels. I know grandfathers that play wow, I know many people in their 40's and 50's. All of them are capable of being idiots, it's just a little less likely with them as a result of their age, experience, etc. Again, obviously there are exceptions. Most of which are irrelevant to this thread's issue.

Focus on the issue at hand. Thanks.
06-20-09, 07:21 PM   #28
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Oh, to answer you here...

I personally know everyone who shares my guild bank. I am not open to the public. We do things on a much higher standard. Drooling over linked loot, making fun of other people's gear, cursing for the sake of cursing, and talking about pwning someone are beyond the scope of our interest. We leave that for the casual social types of guilds out there (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not our goal)

I don't play wow because I'm trying to find more friends. I play it with my existing ones.
06-21-09, 02:29 AM   #29
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

To everyone who offered their support and comfort, thank you. I appreciate that. To Republic... I respect your forthrightness in the sharing of your opinion. It won't be said any time soon that you beat around the bush.

I should update all of you and let you know that the parents contacted the GM's about my "conduct". I was warned that I should be cautious about what I say and do around younger players, but no action was taken.

I think that's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

It might be good if I, just for the record, kept track of people's ages. I like information, and it could give me a good idea of the personal make-up of the guild. I don't believe, however, that age fully defines a person, and one of the reasons I intentionally have refrained from asking about age is that it has never (until now) been an issue, and everyone in my guild gets along really well. This is the first time my guild has ever had any kind of significant drama beyond people needing to go /afk for 10 minutes to calm down about something silly.

I think to properly illustrate how much we appreciate each other, <My Main is Horde> recently reorganized as <The Zakarum>. Only two people chose not to come with us when we reorganized, and that was because they wanted to move on to raiding guilds. That's two out of twelve, but it isn't like the guild fell apart. The kind of guild environment I keep may not be considered Disney appropriate, but it is kind and welcoming. (Please, don't remind me how not even Disney is Disney appropriate anymore. I'm aware of what I said, and you all got the idea.)

I'm not going to quit sending people gifts, though. The parents might be doing their job the best way they know how, but it doesn't mean they're justified in being unreasonable. I'm not going to be defeated by ignorance.

Imperiosus sings, "Oh, no; not I! I will survive! As long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive..."

EDIT: It's time to update my signature... I deleted the Priestess, Imp is 66, Arc isn't Sworn anymore, <My Main is Horde> reorg'd...

Last edited by us2006027321 : 06-21-09 at 02:34 AM.
06-21-09, 02:35 AM   #30
Imakefood
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post
I'm a guild leader of two very loosely organized social/leveling guilds. I like to be as nice as possible to all my guildies by doing the standard stuff: free ports, free runs, etc. I'm also pretty careful with what I do and don't let fly in guild chat as I'm fully aware that kids play the game, and while I may not ask them to identify themselves as minors or adults, I don't think it's bad to assume that kids are present. (I think that's especially true for my Alliance guild since we all know Alliance are a bunch of 12 year olds. I jest.)

Today, one of my guildies informed me it was his birthday, so I sent him a bunch of stuff (a couple pieces of new gear and some glyphs). It was purchased with in-game gold and sent through the in-game mail. About two hours later, I get a whisper from his character claiming to be his parents all about how I shouldn't be using WoW to prowl for 9 year old boys and using game loot to lure them into a predatory trap. As the speech patterns, message post rate, punctuation, and grammar were very different from that which is typical to the player, I'm guessing this wasn't him just being weird. Needless to say, the character got removed from the guild, and I'm on his ignore list.

I'm sad! I haven't behaved any differently to him than I would any other guildy, and I was just being nice... Is it really that creepy for me to send stuff to someone on in-game mail for their birthday? Do I need to start asking people's ages? What's the proper etiquette here?
He's the one that told you it was his birthday...
just bein friendly,GOSH! they're the ones thinkin all wrong
06-21-09, 03:06 AM   #31
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Who love ya, baby??? I DO!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
06-21-09, 04:14 AM   #32
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
Who love ya, baby??? I DO!
I got nuttin' but love for da Voodoo Daddeh!

06-21-09, 04:22 AM   #33
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I got nuttin' but love for da Voodoo Daddeh!
Me ruv you rong time!

(see what I did there? A callback to a response in a thread that I can't even remember what it was about anymore and why am I rambling like this all of a sudden???)

06-21-09, 01:07 PM   #34
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

/hugs N8 & Voodoo Daddeh!
06-21-09, 01:21 PM   #35
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

US, I think you've started something here.
/sigh

06-21-09, 01:38 PM   #36
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
US, I think you've started something here.
/sigh
06-21-09, 10:44 PM   #37
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

/hug

06-22-09, 05:02 AM   #38
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
You haven't shown enough skin, is all.
Just so you don't think I forgot...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r335664_1520617.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	2940  

Last edited by voodoodad : 06-22-09 at 05:09 AM.
06-22-09, 05:10 AM   #39
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

/hug
LUV FEST!!!

06-22-09, 08:10 AM   #40
Recluse
A Cliff Giant