07-30-09, 08:28 PM   #21
Republic
Paladin

It is impossible for words to describe the degree I am not interested in Aion. MMO's would be okay were it not for having to deal with gamers themselves. One is enough for me. Here's an example of what I mean, taken from an event that took place earlier this evening for me I was in SW on my noob hunter who also happens to be a 225 engineer (yes, this is relevant). Anyway, the conversation goes as follows...

Person A (posting many many times on channel 1 and trade) - "I have a lockbox that I need picked, please won't someone do it? I am in Stormwind."

(as I am making bandages to leve my first aid, I decided what the hell, I have seaforium charges, I'll bust this guy's lock)

Person A (again posting on general and trade) - "Looking for lockpick, will tip, please someone respond!"

Me via whisper to Person A - "I'll be happy to bust that lock if you haven't found anyone yet"

Person A - "Excellent, I am going to the bank steps, meet me there"

Me - "I'm here already, open trade when you arrive"

Person A - Shows up, opens trade, puts box in to be picked

Me - Uses a seaforium charge, successfully opens lock

Person A - WALKS OFF, saying nothing

Me via whisper - "Hey, didn't you say you were going to tip? That charge cost me mats, I'm not a rogue and can't just pick something with my skills"

Person A - doesn't respond

(thinking the person might have gone AFK, I decided to wait by the mail box and try again in a bit)

Person A - runs by me, picks up mail at box and begins disenchanting things (obviously not AFK)

Me via whisper - "hey? Are you there?"

Person A - "Shut up noob, you got a skill point from me, I don't think you need money too"

Me via whisper - "In case you hadn't noticed, I'm a hunter, that was a seaforium charge I used to open that box for you because you sounded like you needed help and were advertising a tip" (it wasn't about the money, trust me, I was just trying to help someone sounding increasingly desperate)

Person A - "Stop harassing me noob" and puts me on ignore

You see? This kind of behavior has become the rule rather than the exception. As Im leveling up another toon (it's been a while since Ive played something lower than 70's), I see mob tagging, chest/ore/gathering ganking, and stuff like this about 10 times a day. I've yet to understand why people run up and steal ore or a chest right next to a mob you are killing when you clearly have intent at gathering/looting those items.

Anyway, I also know this isn't true of ALL people but well, it happens frequently enough to make me damned sick of gamers. Earlier today in Duskwood, I asked a lock if he was a miner as he was killing a few ghouls right by some silver ore. He whispered me back, congratulating me for asking first and said he was an herbalist instead. We talked about 5 minutes about how crappy people behave, etc. The guy was really astonished that I asked him before jumping on the ore.

The worst part of online games = online gamers. Period. Warcraft is enough for me, thank you very much!

sigh
07-30-09, 10:29 PM   #22
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Republic View Post

The worst part of online games = online gamers. Period. Warcraft is enough for me, thank you very much!

sigh
I can't honestly say that I could disagree with you.
07-30-09, 11:54 PM   #23
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I loved WoW as a game up 'til Wrath xpac(ish), but I've experienced firsthand being ninjad of loot, ore, herbs, watched some of the worst behaviour I've ever seen online or irl...ever, in WoW. I have played enough other games to know this isn't commonplace over all MMOs, usually because the ToS and EULA are enforced better in (some) other MMOs and the population isn't as dense as in WoW. The one constant I found in terms of behaviour is that the higher the population, the higher the risk for encountering extremely poor behaviour. Maybe one day an MMO will come along and enforce it's ToS/CoC to where people who want to enjoy the game, not the drama, can do so in peace. I don't think Aion will be that game, but maybe one will come along one day (or maybe it really is impossible to have people behave appropriately online).
07-31-09, 12:01 AM   #24
Sythalin
Curse staff

It is impossible for words to describe the degree I am not interested in Aion. MMO's would be okay were it not for having to deal with gamers themselves. One is enough for me. Here's an example of what I mean, taken from an event that took place earlier this evening for me I was in SW on my noob hunter who also happens to be a 225 engineer (yes, this is relevant). Anyway, the conversation goes as follows...

**insert prime example of a douchebag kid**

You see? This kind of behavior has become the rule rather than the exception. As Im leveling up another toon (it's been a while since Ive played something lower than 70's), I see mob tagging, chest/ore/gathering ganking, and stuff like this about 10 times a day. I've yet to understand why people run up and steal ore or a chest right next to a mob you are killing when you clearly have intent at gathering/looting those items.

Anyway, I also know this isn't true of ALL people but well, it happens frequently enough to make me damned sick of gamers. Earlier today in Duskwood, I asked a lock if he was a miner as he was killing a few ghouls right by some silver ore. He whispered me back, congratulating me for asking first and said he was an herbalist instead. We talked about 5 minutes about how crappy people behave, etc. The guy was really astonished that I asked him before jumping on the ore.

sigh
Not that I disagree with this, which I don't as I know about 98% of the world's population are complete and utter retards, I'd like to be the first to point something out.

You're still playing. Long as you choose to continue doing so, you're going to be stuck with the genetic throwbacks.

As far as grinding, every MMO is a grind. Get used to it. Despite what the cute little fanbois may think, WoW is just one giant grind fest as well:

1) Grind for mats for gear/pots/stuffs.
2) Grind BGs for honor.
3) Grind arena for points/rank.
4) Grind (aka farm) the same instance/raid over and over until you get the gear you want
5) Grind the same dailies to make money, which in turn is usually for the purpose of #1
6) Grind the same quests on each toon for exp while leveling

EVERY MMO then, now and future will have all these in common. The only reasons I find personally acceptable as far as being "unique" is storyline and community. And from what I hear, storyline involvement blows WoW's pathetic excuse of an active storyline out of the water. For the fanbois who are going to argue this, I offer this. Sure, in WotLK Blizz did a pretty decent job of storyline involvement. After that? Back to the grind for all that gear that will be obsolete by the first green quest reward in the next expansion. Aren't you glad you're grinding so hard for gear now?

I'm hoping that all the WoW fanbois do the same as they did with WAR (buggy release aside): go in, whine that it's not WoW and go back. I'm hoping that in the end after the jackasses and kids go "home" that the community will boil down to that similar to EVE. When I was playing it I never ONCE heard "noob", "nub", "roflcopter", "beepbeep I'm a retard!" and/or whatever other stupid ****ing thing you can think of that the 12 yr olds say to be cool. If this happens, I may just switch based on that cause as I said before, I do agree with Republic....

WoW is filled with ungrateful little kiddies who think they're all cool with their "just-roll-your-face-on-the-keyboard" retadins, or whatever flavor class it is for the currently released "patch" (read: current screwup in balancing things), while drinking excessive amounts of mountain dew, rotting their teeth and all the while never developing any sort of "people skills" due to lack of interaction with anyone, or anything for that matter, that isn't pixelated on a screen that Mommy and Daddy bought for them for their birthday last month cause he/she/it just HAD to have that expensive $600 HD monitor at Best Buy.
07-31-09, 03:46 AM   #25
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
Not that I disagree with this, which I don't as I know about 98% of the world's population are complete and utter retards, I'd like to be the first to point something out.

You're still playing. Long as you choose to continue doing so, you're going to be stuck with the genetic throwbacks.

As far as grinding, every MMO is a grind. Get used to it. Despite what the cute little fanbois may think, WoW is just one giant grind fest as well:

1) Grind for mats for gear/pots/stuffs.
2) Grind BGs for honor.
3) Grind arena for points/rank.
4) Grind (aka farm) the same instance/raid over and over until you get the gear you want
5) Grind the same dailies to make money, which in turn is usually for the purpose of #1
6) Grind the same quests on each toon for exp while leveling

EVERY MMO then, now and future will have all these in common. The only reasons I find personally acceptable as far as being "unique" is storyline and community. And from what I hear, storyline involvement blows WoW's pathetic excuse of an active storyline out of the water. For the fanbois who are going to argue this, I offer this. Sure, in WotLK Blizz did a pretty decent job of storyline involvement. After that? Back to the grind for all that gear that will be obsolete by the first green quest reward in the next expansion. Aren't you glad you're grinding so hard for gear now?

I'm hoping that all the WoW fanbois do the same as they did with WAR (buggy release aside): go in, whine that it's not WoW and go back. I'm hoping that in the end after the jackasses and kids go "home" that the community will boil down to that similar to EVE. When I was playing it I never ONCE heard "noob", "nub", "roflcopter", "beepbeep I'm a retard!" and/or whatever other stupid ****ing thing you can think of that the 12 yr olds say to be cool. If this happens, I may just switch based on that cause as I said before, I do agree with Republic....

WoW is filled with ungrateful little kiddies who think they're all cool with their "just-roll-your-face-on-the-keyboard" retadins, or whatever flavor class it is for the currently released "patch" (read: current screwup in balancing things), while drinking excessive amounts of mountain dew, rotting their teeth and all the while never developing any sort of "people skills" due to lack of interaction with anyone, or anything for that matter, that isn't pixelated on a screen that Mommy and Daddy bought for them for their birthday last month cause he/she/it just HAD to have that expensive $600 HD monitor at Best Buy.
What the hell are you talking about? Who was complaining of the game itself, or the grind? It certainly wasn't yours truly. You should read my words again as they are written. As a matter of fact, I often say the game is more fun from 1-80 than it is once you hit 80. For this reason, and a few others, I have many many alts. I have 6 level 80s thus far, and will have 3 more in the next month or so. I do still experiment with lowbie toons from time to time as I enjoy many aspects of the game from many angles. Not for nothing, but um, well, guy? You don't play as much as I do if you don't like the game. I also think Warcraft is a bargain for the entertainment dollar. For under 20 bucks a month, I simply can't think of a better value.

Again, I sure wasn't complaining about the game. I'm still scratching my head about your response. Oh well, I guess I can't know everything. You sure lost me on this one. But, thanks for listing some obvious elements of the game and games like it

One other thing - I read books for storylines. I play Warcraft to beat the piss out of things with a big hammer!
07-31-09, 01:00 PM   #26
Sythalin
Curse staff

What the hell are you talking about? Who was complaining of the game itself, or the grind? It certainly wasn't yours truly. You should read my words again as they are written. As a matter of fact, I often say the game is more fun from 1-80 than it is once you hit 80. For this reason, and a few others, I have many many alts. I have 6 level 80s thus far, and will have 3 more in the next month or so. I do still experiment with lowbie toons from time to time as I enjoy many aspects of the game from many angles. Not for nothing, but um, well, guy? You don't play as much as I do if you don't like the game. I also think Warcraft is a bargain for the entertainment dollar. For under 20 bucks a month, I simply can't think of a better value.

Again, I sure wasn't complaining about the game. I'm still scratching my head about your response. Oh well, I guess I can't know everything. You sure lost me on this one. But, thanks for listing some obvious elements of the game and games like it

One other thing - I read books for storylines. I play Warcraft to beat the piss out of things with a big hammer!
You've missread my grind rant as directed to you, which it wasn't. Pretty much the first and last bit were in response to yours, the rest was directed to comments such as:

Originally Posted by Syxx View Post
...I usually don't go in for Korean grindfests (which Aion is one)...

Last edited by Sythalin : 07-31-09 at 01:02 PM.
07-31-09, 05:27 PM   #27
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

You've missread my grind rant as directed to you, which it wasn't. Pretty much the first and last bit were in response to yours, the rest was directed to comments such as:
Originally Posted by Syxx
...I usually don't go in for Korean grindfests (which Aion is one)...
Since I got quoted I suppose I should respond to it.
Yes I indeed said that (OMG!) and i stand behind it.
I've played MMOs for a long time (I know you care), since Meridian59 (I skipped UO and then went to EQ) and I know full well what the hell a grind is.
I stand behind my statement. The Korean game designers somehow know how to take a simple game and make it so grindy it's insane.
Not all grinds are the same though. You assume a grind is a grind is a grind. I do not and that's where we diverge. So argue if you will (Opinions on the internet are like... well you know), but after trying Aion out for a while and reading the multitude of people blog about it (Paragus Rants is a great source for decent reviews) I think I'll pass.

I have my issues with WoW and the grindiness of it but at least I'm enjoying myself. That's what it's all about anyway right? Enjoying yourself?
So I'm glad people are liking Aion. I'm glad it's pre-orders are selling well and it's getting over-hyped everywhere. I hope it does well and I hope NCSoft makes a bundle off of it because it will be good for the MMO business. I still won't play it.

It gets a little retarded though with the "My MMO is better than yours" thing don't you think? Not saying that's what you were doing but that's what the MMO discussions generally boil down to in the end don't they (Been over at Mmorpg.com forums lately? Eeeew!)?
I'll stick with WoW for now. Especially after getting massively burned on WAR and slightly burned on AoC (Two franchises I love and have read since I was a kid) I'm much more cautious about MMOs.
In the end Aion is to asian grindfesty for me. I'm glad you enjoy it but give me a break on lecturing.
07-31-09, 06:57 PM   #28
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Syxx View Post
Since I got quoted I suppose I should respond to it.
Yes I indeed said that (OMG!) and i stand behind it.
I've played MMOs for a long time (I know you care), since Meridian59 (I skipped UO and then went to EQ) and I know full well what the hell a grind is.
I stand behind my statement. The Korean game designers somehow know how to take a simple game and make it so grindy it's insane.
Not all grinds are the same though. You assume a grind is a grind is a grind. I do not and that's where we diverge. So argue if you will (Opinions on the internet are like... well you know), but after trying Aion out for a while and reading the multitude of people blog about it (Paragus Rants is a great source for decent reviews) I think I'll pass.

I have my issues with WoW and the grindiness of it but at least I'm enjoying myself. That's what it's all about anyway right? Enjoying yourself?
So I'm glad people are liking Aion. I'm glad it's pre-orders are selling well and it's getting over-hyped everywhere. I hope it does well and I hope NCSoft makes a bundle off of it because it will be good for the MMO business. I still won't play it.

It gets a little retarded though with the "My MMO is better than yours" thing don't you think? Not saying that's what you were doing but that's what the MMO discussions generally boil down to in the end don't they (Been over at Mmorpg.com forums lately? Eeeew!)?
I'll stick with WoW for now. Especially after getting massively burned on WAR and slightly burned on AoC (Two franchises I love and have read since I was a kid) I'm much more cautious about MMOs.
In the end Aion is to asian grindfesty for me. I'm glad you enjoy it but give me a break on lecturing.
Hardly lecturing. Was just giving my $.02 on the subject in general. Take a Valium and stop twisting it to sound like I was personally attacking you.

I hate it when people take a simple conversation and think everyone is personally attacking them just because they mention something they don't agree with. Obviously by your opening response you seem offended by something. Yes, I quoted you, but only because it was the first post I saw that mentioned "grindfest". If you're looking for an apology, look elsewhere. Taking things out of context as a personal attack is your problem, not mine.

In efforts to try to keep this on topic and not a bashfest, feel free to PM your next "degrading" response that I know you're just itching to type up and keep the rest of this clean.
07-31-09, 08:30 PM   #29
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

Well then I apologize for misreading your post, then. I figured since you used a previous post of mine to illustrate a point, I'd respond with my opinions.
I wasn't trying to give you the impression that I thought you were attacking me. As I said, you singled a previous post of mine out and I thought I'd respond with some thoughts on the grind and share my gaming experience.
I was trying to illustrate that simply our perceptions of grind are obviously different.
I know sometimes it can be hard to read the intentions of a poster. A simple sentence can come across as totally asinine when it's meant in the complete opposite way. That seems to be the case here on probably both our parts.

So, I'm sure you have enough Valium to share so how about giving me one then?
07-31-09, 10:17 PM   #30
Republic
Paladin

Whether Aion is a grindfest or not isn't the issue for me. My problem with it comes from the fact that it seems like "The Emo vs The Fruity in the most cliche fantasy MMORPG to date". I can't seem to relate very well to either the "Fallen" or the "Chosen" (could these names possibly be MORE cliche for this type of genre? NO). Warcraft has elements about it that make a connection with the player. Games like Aion just don't have what I'm interested in. They are fine for others, just not my cup of tea. I just don't see this game having the mass appeal like Warcraft. It will have a very loyal niche, but nothing else that I can see.

All games past, present, and future aside, the only real competition Warcraft will ever have comes from its own development path.
07-31-09, 11:04 PM   #31
Sythalin
Curse staff

All games past, present, and future aside, the only real competition Warcraft will ever have comes from its own development path.
Golden rule. Someone's always better. May not be now for most, but the day will come eventually.
07-31-09, 11:30 PM   #32
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I do find it a little weird that you are so insistent that AION is a grind fest (or at least any more so than WoW). If you hadn't specifically said that you have played the beta... I'd be inclined to say you didn't.

I've been playing the beta and found the progression very similar to WoW's. Most of the quests are the same (Kill X of this, Collect Y of that, and the occasional oddball thrown in). The levels seem to progress at about the same rate. Drop rates seem similar... in some cases better than WoW (I haven't noticed any boars running around with no tusks, raptors without heads, and birds without wings, as is oh so common on WoW). Meanwhile I (personally) feel there is a much clearer plot progression that WoW.

I'd be interested to know what aspects you feel are more grindy.
07-31-09, 11:40 PM   #33
Republic
Paladin

Golden rule. Someone's always better. May not be now for most, but the day will come eventually.
People have been saying that for decades about Coca-Cola too. Sometimes, things are just the best. Sometimes, those things have staying power unlike anything else. This isn't about Coke, but I'm sure you get my point. For a new game to really take off (I'm not saying it isn't possible, just not probable, especially with this mess), it needs to meet a need that isn't currently being met by the current market. Warcraft does a pretty good job at meeting the needs of the bulk of MMORPG'ers. When it ceases meeting the needs of its market (by fault of its own development path), other games will gain significant market share if they can pick up the "slack".

In my opinion, this Aion thing doesn't even match its own hype. I don't think Warcraft's position at the top of the leaderboard is in any sort of jeopardy. I consider Aion to Warcraft what Scary Movie was to horror films. Can they possibly include any more fantasy cliches? Really? The Chosen are at war with the Fallen? No kidding? Groundbreaking stuff, honestly!

My only complaint about Warcraft thus far is that I wish Blizzard would quit micromanaging talents. Set it and forget it. I dont like having to adapt (for seemingly no reason at all sometimes) to new ways of accomplishing the same tasks I have been doing another way for years. To me, this isn't really development that furthers the progress of where Warcraft can take the player. I wish they'd put all the talent micromanaging energy into development that takes the game new places, directions, etc. New zones, dungeons, etc. I don't need for my spiritual attunement to give me 10% one year and 8% the next. Know what I mean? I'd rather visit new places, or perhaps find some NON-FRUITY paladin armor somewhere. Anyway, I think you know what I'm saying. Back on track.
08-01-09, 12:23 AM   #34
Sythalin
Curse staff

Sigh.

Okay, I used to say this before WAR came out and now I'll say it for Aion:

It's not fair to make a comparision of a new MMO at release to WoW current. WoW has had 4+ years of player feedback to fine tune and polish things. To pass my actual comparison, it's like comparing an apple in the produce section to an orange seed that was just planted. Even better comparison: trying to compare the competency level of a 5th grader to a 1st grader.

And no, being in development for 4+ yrs does NOT equate to 4+ years of actual player feedback, so this still voids any comparison.

Taking that into consideration, anyone who's attempting to make a comparison should take a snapshot of WoW now and compare it to Aion (or any other released MMO) in 4 years. Unfortunately, this will never happen, and in 4 years people will still be trying to compare said MMO (at 4 yrs feedback/polishing) to WoW (at 8 yrs feedback/polishing).

Summary for the slow/too lazy to read:
Any comparisons of a newly released MMO to the current version of WoW at the time will always be inaccurate, pointless and a waste of time as the time spent developing and feedback will never be equal.
08-01-09, 12:32 AM   #35
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Can't we all just get along?

(Sorry, hadda do it.)

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
08-01-09, 03:45 AM   #36
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
Can't we all just get along?

(Sorry, hadda do it.)
Screw you, hippy!

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
08-01-09, 05:31 AM   #37
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Screw you, hippy!
Dude! I'm hurt!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
08-01-09, 07:57 AM   #38
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

In my opinion, this Aion thing doesn't even match its own hype. I don't think Warcraft's position at the top of the leaderboard is in any sort of jeopardy. I consider Aion to Warcraft what Scary Movie was to horror films. Can they possibly include any more fantasy cliches? Really? The Chosen are at war with the Fallen? No kidding? Groundbreaking stuff, honestly!
Heh, Orcs/Trolls/Humans/Elfs/etc in an epic struggle for dominance? An evil ruler of vast power coming to dominance? Mages, Paladin's and Druids (etc)? Could WoW possbibly include any more fantasy cliches? Really? Groundbreaking stuff!

Don't get me wrong, you don't like AION, that's ok, but your reasons amuse me to no end.

Last edited by Vyper : 08-01-09 at 07:58 AM. Reason: grammar
08-01-09, 09:12 AM   #39
Seer
A Molten Giant
Well, having done the beta today for some hours..

First off, it's a good game. Some people will like it more then WoW, but I guess most will stick to WoW if they can't afford 2 monthly fees.

Gameplay wise it's great. Maybe a bit harder to get into if it's your first MMO. Once you're level 5 orso you got most of the mechanics down. WoW players will most likely adapt fast.

GFX are ok.. AoC has better gfx.. Aion looks a bit better then WoW, Imho, tho not so much. Framerates are much better tho. When you look into the distance it looks great, mountains and stuff are very well done. Player and npc models look superb, tho, even with all customizing options the players still look samish (al humans, making a 1 meter tall one is just a scaled down version..) Up close the ground looks almost the same as in WoW (In newer zones WoW has the better textures IMHO. Shadows look better in WoW imho and WoW seems to have more clutter on the ground like rocks and grass. Off course the style is totally different from WoW.

One thing that "worries" me, only 2 starter zones. 1 for each faction and they felt rather the same. Not sure I would want to level another char after having done it 2 or 3 times (like AoC...)

Servers got laggy when more players poured in, and it's felt more annoying then lag in WoW.. You get set back a few meters as if the server is unaware you moved and tells your client "no the player was there not here".

Is it a good game ? Sure. Will it destroy WoW ? Doubt it. If you ever played say Guildwars you pretty much know how things in this game are. If you hated GW I doubt you're going to like Aion. I will play it when it goes live for a while but I doubt it will replace WoW for me in the long run.

All my personal opinion, feel free to disagree, keep the flames to yourself tho.

Last edited by Seer : 08-01-09 at 09:23 AM.
08-01-09, 11:15 AM   #40
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Heh, Orcs/Trolls/Humans/Elfs/etc in an epic struggle for dominance? An evil ruler of vast power coming to dominance? Mages, Paladin's and Druids (etc)? Could WoW possbibly include any more fantasy cliches? Really? Groundbreaking stuff!

Don't get me wrong, you don't like AION, that's ok, but your reasons amuse me to no end.
Now if you could only understand to no end, we'd move this along quicker. The point wasn't that Warcraft is groundbreaking, the pont was that something needs to be groundbreaking in order to peel away fanbase. Warcraft currently is on top of the heap. There are probably hundreds of reasons it got there and remains there, none of which are its own originality. My point is, Aion (or any other game) needs to take elements of Warcraft and apply them in a unique and (gasp) original way in order for it to truly "blast off". It is not in position to do that, as it's going the cliche route, thus destined to fail by its own development path.

We understand my point now?

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Aion: The Tower of Eternity