12-17-12, 05:28 PM   #1
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
A theory about missing quests from database

Since I've started, myself personally I have almost never seen a quest say not in the database... and i've been trying hard to reason why other's have so many showing up that way....

I think I might know why, if some folks can test my theory for me

Cache files... I have my WoW set to run a batch file before every login to delete every file in the cache, which means i'm regetting all the information again

How can you help test? if you have a character you login to that has lots of those evil red circles in the tracker..
exit wow, delete all the files in "World of Warcraft\Cache" then start the game again and see if they are still red.

Post me the results!

12-17-12, 07:18 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Even after deleting those folders, unfortunately they're still showing up as not in the database.

Would this have something to do with the quest history being blank (even after pulling them from the server) in MoP zones, too?

Last edited by Petrah : 12-17-12 at 07:25 PM.

12-17-12, 07:36 PM   #3
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
yes, quest history is built using the internal database, so while carbonite knows your done the quests since it got that info from the server pull ... it doesn't know what the quests are.

12-18-12, 10:43 AM   #4
kintail
A Defias Bandit
Hi
Slightly different results here: when I delete the cache, then re-start wow, all the LOCAL quests that were previously not in database, re-appear, but DISTANT ones remain not-in-db.

if I then go to the "distant" zone...repeat the cache delete/re-start cycle....then the situation is reversed: the newly local ones (previously distant, and not-in-db) are now available..whilst the original ones, (previously local) but which are now distant, now generate the same not-in-db message.

so...the cache works for me but only on the quests local to my Alt's zone ( I assume) and the n-i-db can be controlled simply by moving from zone to zone and reloading cache

HTH

12-18-12, 06:54 PM   #5
nightshade00013
An Aku'mai Servant
I have not found a situation where zoning and not having the quests information update has not been fixable by doing a /reload

Basically you get to an area where the quest is supposed to be in MoP and the quests show orange or not in the DB. If you are queued into a random dungeon or for LFR and come back the quests will now show. Reloading the UI also seems to fix this problem in my case. It's as if the client sticks sometimes when zoning and does not get the quest data from the new zone.

01-02-13, 12:18 AM   #6
TULOA
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Personally seems like its only getting quests in the zone we are in.

I turned out to have a messed up if not slightly corrupted version of the Quest.lua file so making my converter app was taking time as I had to setup formulas to grab it and I am learning the File Input/Output with it.

If more people have success I can stop but otherwise I will continue work. Now that the lua file has the right formatting I will get further faster. Not to mention I am getting more time off now thanks to the holidays and january period bein a low profit month for my work.

I plan to be able to start adding quests in a week or so.

Edit: Interesting... Reload to apply new update of carbonite did show quests in other places. I haven't tried the cache solution yet though as it personally wasnt that big a issue due to WoW havin a similar but worse system to give me an idea where to be or go lol.

Last edited by TULOA : 01-02-13 at 12:25 AM.

01-03-13, 12:03 AM   #7
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
for trying to decode the quests, i'd suggest using the quest.lua from the beta since it's been redone to have 1 quest per line instead of the million character long string.

01-03-13, 03:13 AM   #8
TULOA
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
for trying to decode the quests, i'd suggest using the quest.lua from the beta since it's been redone to have 1 quest per line instead of the million character long string.
Yea I have been working on it and once I finish figuring out the formula for the coordinates I will start writing the program to convert it all to a readable format that can be taken both ways to maybe give a temporary solution until the new system is added.

But still due to the complex nature of it and fine tuning it to actually be accurate it could take a bit.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » A theory about missing quests from database