12-23-11, 08:44 PM   #1
shyrotam
A Cliff Giant
Test latency of OTHER players???

Is there a way to test the latency of OTHER players in the raid?

Something like a ping test, minus your latency, followed by a report?
12-23-11, 11:18 PM   #2
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Not unless everyone in the raid were to run such an addon.
12-24-11, 12:04 AM   #3
shyrotam
A Cliff Giant
how about a script that reports latency? make other players copy it and run it before they get invite to RBG or whatever.
12-24-11, 12:12 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Honestly, it would be so easy to spoof that.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-25-11, 06:22 AM   #5
OmegaExtreme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

an addon like this would make it even harder for people to get into raids

/2 LFM DS PST Class, Spec, GS, Achievement and Latency and come to Trade Bank for inspection.

We dont need anymore "Elitist" addons.

god i miss the days when all you needed was DBM and Decursive (if you needed to dispel/curse etc)

some of you older players (players that have been playing WoW since Beta/Release) probably miss the days BEFORE raiding addons.
12-25-11, 06:52 AM   #6
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Anything can be spoofed using the addon channel, but, I hope oRA3 does not die out, it's practical and could implement a ping check as well, it already does resistance and durability check and it's very handy. oRA3 come back! <3
12-25-11, 06:56 AM   #7
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
Anything can be spoofed using the addon channel, but, I hope oRA3 does not die out, it's practical and could implement a ping check as well, it already doesn't resistance and durability check and it's very handy. oRA3 come back! <3
I remeber using oRA3/CTRA I alo used CTRASpy it would alert me when Raid lead/assist were doing a check and what they were checking."
12-25-11, 07:01 AM   #8
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Can be tricked yes, also stuff like Gearscore addon messages and such.

But, I found it handy, when in a guild of 25 raiders or even 10, much easier just check their durability instead of asking if they have repaired, or reagents, or specific item we may need during boss like specific flask/potion, e.g. Addon lets leader easier check stuff and I agree, for those that like they should see some popup info message tell what leader is checking for, with an off function if they don't care. :P

But oRA3 not updated for 4.3, in LFR the ready check screen does not properly update. I hope it won't die out, there is no other addon like this left! I love the zone check too, easy summoning. :'(
12-25-11, 07:06 AM   #9
Sideshow
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

What can me spoofed about it?

Have an addon send messages and auto-respond ... measure the time it takes for the other one to respond, minus your own lag ... discard the actual message since it has no use
12-25-11, 08:28 AM   #10
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Hehe, nice idea... but isn't the chat and game servers separate? Often I've lagged in the world but my chat worked fine, or the other way around, but still it's a good idea! Measure the time it took for the reply to reach you minus own latency.
12-25-11, 01:09 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
What can me spoofed about it?

Have an addon send messages and auto-respond ... measure the time it takes for the other one to respond, minus your own lag ... discard the actual message since it has no use
Except then everyone would need to have that addon installed. What could be spoofed is the script you would ask someone to run.

Seerah: LF1M, required latency under 200ms.
DK: Can I come?
Seerah: Please run this script so I can see your latency. /run SendChatMessage(select(4,GetNetStats()),"WHISPER",nil,"Seerah")
DK: (sees that the script just whispers a number to Seerah) 120
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 12-31-11 at 12:50 AM.
12-25-11, 02:57 PM   #12
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Anything can be spoofed using the addon channel
Reminds me of the days I hacked the sync system for DamageMeters in BC. I would often come in as a DPS and give the healer or tank 999999999 damage, maybe more. It was hilarious to watch the group complain about their DamageMeters glitching.

Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
What can be spoofed about it?
I had an idea about this a few days ago, more specifically using the addon channel and some quirks with it such as the server echo to measure your own latency with the same message.

Hehe, nice idea... but isn't the chat and game servers separate? Often I've lagged in the world but my chat worked fine, or the other way around, but still it's a good idea! Measure the time it took for the reply to reach you minus own latency.
They are separate, but when they're both running fine, it would be an adequate gauge to the quality of the player's connection.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 12-25-11 at 03:05 PM.
12-25-11, 06:37 PM   #13
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Just curious, would one be able to make an addon communication spoof-proof?

I have my doubts, but maybe someone have managed to do this somehow. :P

Also, a really offtopic question but since we nerds are gathered here... can you create a lua class/table that acts like jquery? I.e something like:
tableName:get(2):isUnit("player"):call(function(self)print(self)end)

It would in this case run a custom function, but only on the table entry or entries where the get(2) returns the appropriate data, then a sub-function to check if the unit is player, then call something on that/those object/objects.

I am not sure if it's worth making this, performance wise would it bee too bad to practice this in LUA? It works in Javascript but they are totally different languages so, hehe.

But you get my idea, it would shorten a lot of code and potentially you could even code something for WoW that is jquery like, for example you can select the appropriate object using:
local t = tableName:get("UIParent>Button[name='CloseWindow']")
I.e. a button object owned by UIParent with the name 'CloseWindow' and then you have t where it's either one or many objects fitting the criteria, now you can:
t:IsShown():Click()
Ergo if it's shown then click it.

You'd need to program these functions of course but it's a neat idea, makes writing a bit shorter I think.
12-25-11, 08:56 PM   #14
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Just curious, would one be able to make an addon communication spoof-proof?
It depends on the level of sophistication of the addon. For an addon to be completely "spoof-proof", it must accept no data from any source at all. Note request and reply responses such as a standard ping are not considered data. It's a simple triggering of events. if someone were to attempt to send a response without a ping request, the addon would simply ignore it as part of error handling.

Also, a really offtopic question but since we nerds are gathered here... can you create a lua class/table that acts like jquery? I.e something like:
tableName:get(2):isUnit("player"):call(function(self)print(self)end)

It would in this case run a custom function, but only on the table entry or entries where the get(2) returns the appropriate data, then a sub-function to check if the unit is player, then call something on that/those object/objects.

I am not sure if it's worth making this, performance wise would it bee too bad to practice this in LUA? It works in Javascript but they are totally different languages so, hehe.
I suppose if you made clever use of metatables with backreferences. As far as performance, you can have each filter add its respective value to a list of filters stored in the metatable, then have object:call() run the filter, clear the filter list, and return the filtered table with the metatable propagated. You'll need to manage all this with the __index field of the metatable and define all the functions in the table pointed to it. It'll be up to you if you want to store the filter data as an upvalue or inside the __index table.

But you get my idea, it would shorten a lot of code and potentially you could even code something for WoW that is jquery like, for example you can select the appropriate object using:
local t = tableName:get("UIParent>Button[name='CloseWindow']")
I.e. a button object owned by UIParent with the name 'CloseWindow' and then you have t where it's either one or many objects fitting the criteria, now you can:
t:IsShown():Click()
Ergo if it's shown then click it.

You'd need to program these functions of course but it's a neat idea, makes writing a bit shorter I think.
There's a lot of balance between short, easy-to-read code, and efficient code. Often writing library code to make the core code look nicer takes the processor through a magnitude of steps that are unnecessary and impacts performance. Depending on how the code is written, it can be by a little or by a lot.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 12-25-11 at 09:13 PM.
12-26-11, 03:08 AM   #15
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

I think what'd be more important is mental latency. Just ask them what 1 + 1 is and see how long it takes them to respond
12-26-11, 03:13 AM   #16
Phanx
Cat.

I used to have a guild officer who would ask potential recruits simple math questions with no explanation to see how they respond. He'd just type "2 + 7 = ?" or "yellow + blue = ?".

Sadly, most people responded with things like "???" or "wut?".
12-26-11, 03:16 AM   #17
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I used to have a guild officer who would ask potential recruits simple math questions with no explanation to see how they respond. He'd just type "2 + 7 = ?" or "yellow + blue = ?".

Sadly, most people responded with things like "???" or "wut?".
I like him already
12-26-11, 03:50 AM   #18
Flarin
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
I like him already
I just transfered to a "largish" guild my brother raids in (I am just a casual quester) but I was tired of being alone and the guild benefits for leveling are nice.

Anyway - someone mentioned MoP and 4 people in the guild replied "wut"? Then Panda's were mentioned - and it was asked what classes can they play. It was suggested that these people literally live in caves - but somehow they are in game. The fail pile was so huge that for sure I thought it was all in jest - and then people started getting angry (because if you are wrong or il-informed, what else is there to do but be angry?) and then people started getting "muted" and a couple were demoted. It was so comical - I had forgotten what it was like to be in a large guild - I have been pretty much solo for 2 years. Some people really can't function - WoW is obviously hurting their development as functional human beings. It is sad.

This rant was started because during one of the defensive tirades leading up to a demotion was the fact the the GM asked a guy "What is six times seven?" and there was a response of "huh? that doesn't make sense". I swear it - I almost soiled myself.

"I will crush and destroy and...ooo...shiny..."

12-26-11, 08:03 AM   #19
DoctorDyna
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
I like him already
I actually put a line in our guild application near the bottom of the "tell us about yourself" that asked people to type a specific statement into the bottom of the box, just to see how many people read and paid attention to it.

You'd probably not be surprised to know the failure rate was somewhere around 80%.
12-26-11, 12:12 PM   #20
Taryble
A Molten Giant

A guild I applied for back in Wrath had the line "Write a haiku about your preferred role in a raid or dungeon:" as one of the questions in the application. It actually was a pass/fail question - if you tried (or were clever/smartass enough about your answer), it pretty much guaranteed you entry.

At the time, I was a paladin tank... mine was something like "Ow that hurts / Use the shield / All I see is crotch."

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Test latency of OTHER players???