07-19-05, 11:18 AM   #1
Devla
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Item/Gold Dupe Discussion

There's some talk of a Dupe exploit that some people have been doing for an undetermined amount of time.

There's some talk of a rollback but no official word from Blizzard yet.

If you have any more news regarding this, please post here, and share your thoughts on the topic.

Thanks

Last edited by Devla : 07-19-05 at 12:07 PM.
07-19-05, 11:21 AM   #2
Remelio

I ask that if you for some reason DO know how to do this, please don't post it. Constructive discussion is welcome though
07-19-05, 11:30 AM   #3
Devla
A Cobalt Mageweaver

^^ exactly

http://www.tokyo-web.org/duppe1qa.gif
07-19-05, 12:06 PM   #4
Devla
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Tyren
The weekly maintenance has been extended while we investigate the validity of the claims regarding a possible exploit in the game. We remind our players that discussing possible exploits on the official forums is a violation of the Code of Conduct, and such threads will be deleted without prior notice.
Big news...rumors are flying about Rollbacks, Banning, etc etc.
07-19-05, 12:33 PM   #5
MadCow
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Man... I hope they just keep the servers down and delete/ban those who used the dupe. I hope they dont punish everyone by doing a rollback.
07-19-05, 12:55 PM   #6
Devla
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I supsected an old guildmate was performing the duping exploit a few weeks ago. The player in question was new to the guild, never spoke to anybody and would go online/offline repeatedly in a certain area (will not give details).

Being the honest player I am, I reported him to a GM. I received a response that the player would be investigated but they could not discuss the actions or penalties with me.

Next day...the same player was online doing the same thing...and has been daily (I've since left said guild).

While the cheaters are partly to blame, Blizzard's GM staff had the opportunity to catch this exploit well over two weeks ago and did nothing.

I know we are all curious to see what will happen regarding this issue. Lets just hope that it will not adversly affect the community.
07-19-05, 01:03 PM   #7
WavArt
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Well first I've heard of this one... I have good Gold that I've well earned on a player thats got over 110 days played.. I work my profession's hard to get where I am and the guild I belong to is at. I hope they get the crooks. To leave the game to those that 'try' honestly.

I quit Diablo and a few other games when they started to get 'hacked up' .. this is a no no.

Thanks in Advance.
07-19-05, 04:29 PM   #8
Littlejohn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Heh heh heh. I'm sure I've confused a lot of people with my odd on-line behavior... I like to debug code while sitting in the school house in Moonbrook: it's quiet (great frame rates), close to interesting stuff, and entertaining to watch the way people handle the quest (surprising how many people jump and run...).

There have been days I've logged in/out 10+ times within 10 minutes. (Well, my lua code crashed the client, but hey, you guys don't have to know that...

Does that make me suspicious of duping or just having a weird idea of fun?
07-19-05, 06:41 PM   #9
Devla
A Cobalt Mageweaver

No LittleJohn...I do the same as you and log in and out repeatedly. My example involved a player who would not reply to tells or talk to anyone, invite random guildmates to a group repeatedly, and always seemed to have a large number of auctions for rare items at the auction house. That was why I was suspicious of him.

By the way, you don't play on Frostmane, do you?
07-19-05, 08:15 PM   #10
Littlejohn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by Devla
invite random guildmates to a group repeatedly, and always seemed to have a large number of auctions for rare items at the auction house.
I've heard of mages using the "reset instance hack" to AoE level in some instances. I thought Bliz was going to nerf the geometry though to stop it. Maybe somebody has found a new place.

By the way, you don't play on Frostmane, do you?
Nope, I'm on Terenas (alliance) and Dragonmaw (horde).
07-19-05, 09:03 PM   #11
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

So does this "rollback", if it happened, mean every single person get's turned back X amount of time?
If so, I think that would be one stupid thing for Blizzard to do. Me and everyone else has worked extremely hard to get to the point we are at now and I just feel it's bad bad bad to do that to your customers because a few are morons and can't play fair.
I know, this is probably a naive view for me to take but I haven't been overly impressed with Blizzards CS and general server problem notifications. Even SOE did a better job when a server went bye bye to immediately post something somewhere.

Well, I hope this doesn't happen, ban stick these people or something but please Blizzard don't bend us all over.
07-19-05, 11:46 PM   #12
Halor
A Murloc Raider
As with the inviting random guild members yes - there are bots out there that exploit that instance bug. Inviting a random person to enter a instance and then leaving the group to grind.

As to the dupe/rollback discussion - I surely hope it does get patched and quickly. If a rollback is a -must- I wont *****, of course the couple of levels I have gotten will be lost and I will be annoyed, but if it is nessessary then let it be..

I would rather lose a bit of gold and some levels then have the economy completely ruined.
07-20-05, 03:24 AM   #13
Omexe
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Halor makes it sound pretty rational.
I'd much rather work an extra few days to regain my level than to play in a world where money now means nothing.
07-20-05, 09:21 AM   #14
Inokis
EQInterface Staff

How its worked in the past is they've hit the people who were doing the exploits and any gold xfers/sells they committed, along with the recipients of items/gold. I'd think this is the method they'd continue to use.
07-20-05, 10:56 AM   #15
Thoreac
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Devla
Try blowing that image up like 10x and look at the backround BETWEEN the items listed. It repeats almost identically ( a couple pixels up and down for each one, but definate repeat ) and there's a perfectly stright edge between each item ( 2 - 3 pixels up from the next item ).

Amma thinkin... maybe not so real
07-20-05, 11:48 AM   #16
nota
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Somebody was complaining about a few people in Mara on my server yesterday (Burning Legion). Despite having suspicious names, they weren't showing any signs of malicious activity... but I was in IF so who's to say. While they were complaining the Eastern continent died. I don't know which was a result of which (complaining because of the lag/crash/reset or lag due to what was being complained about).

Needless to say the only thing exploiting a gold bug would do is crash the economy (if done in large enough scale).

Last edited by nota : 07-20-05 at 11:52 AM.
07-20-05, 04:00 PM   #17
louietsang
A Defias Bandit
sadly is the main thing is, in d2 i didn't mind so much about the duping... but in a game like this where we have to pay 15/month or whatever i would hope that nthing like bugs and exploits would run amuck in the game.
07-20-05, 04:28 PM   #18
Ashlon
A Murloc Raider

Exclamation gold harvesting

I used to know a gold harvister and they were actually acused of duping by an admin and I was staying at his house at the time and the reason he kept loging on and off was because I guess there is a way you can do it and reset the instance you are in without getting kicked out of it if you do it right although other than that he wa not duping any items at all but he did invite people from our guild randomly and he would just kill the last boss over and over and over and so on and so on all day and flood the AH with the Blue items/Purple items and make about 300g a day on a half decient day though... and not once did he ever dupe so that may be what the previouse mentiond person was doing.....

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Item/Gold Dupe Discussion