12-01-11, 08:57 AM   #1
Premium Plus
A Murloc Raider
Disappointed in Carbonite

It is absolutely unacceptable that there still is no update for this add-on.

Carb get supplemental income from donations for this add-on. And as someone who has donated my own disposable income to support this add-on I find it deplorable that we have to wait this long for a release.

Was 4.3 some kind of a surprise to the devs of Carbonite? It's been live on the PTR for months. At the very lease we should have had a Beta version on Tuesday. Tons of free/unpaid/no donation, LUA heavy add-ons, skins, and UI packages were ready for download the day of or a few hours after 4.3 went live.

This release delay certainly isn't inspiring for future donations.

12-01-11, 09:28 AM   #2
OmegaExtreme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

I believe the delay is due to a number of reasons.

1) there are only 2 devs works on Carbonite.
2) as they dont get the $$$ like they used to when it was a pay to use addon they dont really care about updating Carbonite ASAP
3) I believe that due to the way the code is written (all crammed into a single .lua file) the devs have backed themselves into a corner were finding the right stuff to code to update/add/remove is very very hard (admit it guys)
4) maybe (just maybe) they are working secretly on Carbonite2?

Edit

5) Busy with real life issues, im sure Intellectual Property Solicitors get very busy hey Arty.

Last edited by OmegaExtreme : 12-01-11 at 10:00 AM.

12-01-11, 09:34 AM   #3
Tazeem
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by Premium Plus View Post
It is absolutely unacceptable that there still is no update for this add-on.

Carb get supplemental income from donations for this add-on. And as someone who has donated my own disposable income to support this add-on I find it deplorable that we have to wait this long for a release.

Was 4.3 some kind of a surprise to the devs of Carbonite? It's been live on the PTR for months. At the very lease we should have had a Beta version on Tuesday. Tons of free/unpaid/no donation, LUA heavy add-ons, skins, and UI packages were ready for download the day of or a few hours after 4.3 went live.

This release delay certainly isn't inspiring for future donations.
Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiif you read any forums for a multitude of other addons, including favorites like Auctioneer, it is pretty clear that the PTR changes are not the exact changes that were made to the live server. The problems with Carbonite are relatively minor aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannd if you read the other threads here, there are some simple fixes. Just because you donated $10 doesn't mean that everyone else is donating enough for the developer(s) to take time out of their day jobs to fix it asap. Blizzard fixes their **** ASAP because they have 7-8 million subscribers x $14.99/month. That IS their day job.

12-01-11, 09:54 AM   #4
Premium Plus
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Tazeem View Post
Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiif you read any forums for a multitude of other addons, including favorites like Auctioneer, it is pretty clear that the PTR changes are not the exact changes that were made to the live server. The problems with Carbonite are relatively minor aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannd if you read the other threads here, there are some simple fixes. Just because you donated $10 doesn't mean that everyone else is donating enough for the developer(s) to take time out of their day jobs to fix it asap. Blizzard fixes their **** ASAP because they have 7-8 million subscribers x $14.99/month. That IS their day job.
And iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiif you read my post you miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight have noticed that I never talked about Blizzard fixing their stuff. I mentioned other add-on devs who had their add-ons up and ready right away. Devs who do not get donations btw.

I certainly know about the differences between PTR and the live patch. Hence the use of the word "beta".

You missed the point entirely. It's fine for devs to do this as a low priority, spare time hobby. But when you take donations, people start having expectations. A reasonable expectation is that they are able to update their add-on within at least the same timeline of popular non-donation add-ons you can pull off of Curse and this site.

Last edited by Premium Plus : 12-01-11 at 10:03 AM.

12-01-11, 10:04 AM   #5
Jakotsu
A Murloc Raider

Wah!

From what I've read about some other broken addons, Blizzard implemented unannounced UI and other changes with the live patch that were not even hinted at in the PTR. Every time there's a new patch we know some of our addons will break and we all know they will be fixed asap yet there's always this "it should've been fixed yesterday and I'm mad" attitude. I encounter similar situations in my apartment complex with people that think because they pay rent they are entitled to do whatever they want. Well they're not; welcome to the real world. Carbonite and Auctioneer do seem to be the ones the take the longest to be fixed but I believe those are probably the most complicated and code-intensive addons I use. Sure, Prat and Recount and other smaller addons have already been updated but just think about how much stuff Carbonite does, it boggles the mind.

I applaud the developers for a fantastic addon and have total faith that they are working on a fixed version as I am writing this.

And if you're so disappointed it's time to stop QQ, uninstall Carbonite and move on to another addon. Best of luck.

Last edited by Jakotsu : 12-01-11 at 10:16 AM.

12-01-11, 10:18 AM   #6
Premium Plus
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Jakotsu View Post
Wah!

From what I've read about some other broken addons, Blizzard implemented unannounced UI and other changes with the live patch that were not even hinted at in the PTR. Every time there's a new patch we know some of our addons will break and we all know they will be fixed asap yet there's always this "it should've been fixed yesterday and I'm mad" attitude. I encounter similar situations in my apartment complex with people that think because they pay rent they are entitled to do whatever they want. Well they're not; welcome to the real world. Carbonite and Auctioneer do seem to be the ones the take the longest to be fixed but I believe those are probably the most complicated and code-intensive addons I use. Sure, Prat and Recount and other smaller addons have already been updated but just think about how much stuff Carbonite does, it boggles my mind.

I applaud the developers and have total faith that they are working on a fixed version as I am writing this.

And if you're so disappointed it's time to stop QQ, uninstall Carbonite and move on to another addon. Best of luck.
Reading comprehension?

I'm not mad, nor do I feel entitled. Your misunderstanding of my post is your problem.

I'm simply a little "disappointed", as someone who's donated. As such a person I had what I would have called a reasonable expectation.

And for the record I'd say a UI package like Tukui takes far more time to fix, since it has not only it's own script, as well as it skins multiple other add-ons and is dependent on those add-ons to be updated as well. Tuk had his new release up day of patch. Is it really so unreasonable that people expect Carbonite to have their release in a similar time frame as other donation based add-ons?

You're complaining about my complaint. If you're so disappointed with my thread, it's time to close it up and move on. Best of luck! <3

Last edited by Premium Plus : 12-01-11 at 10:21 AM.

12-01-11, 10:37 AM   #7
Jakotsu
A Murloc Raider

(laughing)

For the record:

1) I haven't misunderstood anything--your words tell me that you are mad and think you're entitled;

2) I haven't complained about anything;

3) I am not disappointed;

4) I am through discussing this with you.

12-01-11, 10:45 AM   #8
Premium Plus
A Murloc Raider
(laughing)

For the record:

1) I haven't misunderstood anything--your words tell me that you are mad and think you're entitled;
Oh my mistake. So you didn't misunderstand, you just assumed. And you assumed incorrectly. I'd call that a misunderstanding, but hey...let's not split hairs. I'm glad you're laughing. I certainly am, too. It always gives me a chuckle when someone tells me how I'm feeling...I correct them, and they proceed to tell me I'm wrong, and again how I'm REALLY feeling. Of course you'd know my mood and sentiment better than I would. What was I thinking

4) I am through discussing this with you.
Gosh, what a shame. Your replies thus far have been so relevant and insightful. You'll be missed.

12-01-11, 11:07 AM   #9
mabramstank
A Defias Bandit
Maybe instead of being disappointed we should be asking the Dev if their is ne thing we can help them put together. But then again that's just a thought! Dev tend to want to feel appreciated and/or that their followers are willing to help ne way they can (even don't take the help, just that they know that we are willing to help!)

12-01-11, 11:16 AM   #10
dfife_01
A Kobold Labourer
[quote=Premium Plus;248303]Oh my mistake. So you didn't misunderstand, you just assumed. And you assumed incorrectly. I'd call that a misunderstanding, but hey...let's not split hairs. I'm glad you're laughing. I certainly am, too. It always gives me a chuckle when someone tells me how I'm feeling...I correct them, and they proceed to tell me I'm wrong, and again how I'm REALLY feeling. Of course you'd know my mood and sentiment better than I would. What was I thinking

Premuim, your a complete ass. There is no assumption. Using words like "unacceptable" and "deplorable" certainly suggest anger. I'll tell you what is deplorable and unacceptable, your attitude. Keep your money, go away, and learn to appreciate a volunteer effort. Just because you "donated" ( although based on your post, you seem to feel there has been a business arrangement and you have been wronged. Seems you feel you "purchased" this ) does not entitle you to anything. Take your complaints to your mother, she will be the only one who gives a crap about you with your attitude.

12-01-11, 11:50 AM   #11
darkseraphim
A Kobold Labourer
y'all posting in a troll thread

12-01-11, 12:31 PM   #12
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Alright, enough with the name-calling.

OP, please avoid using terms like 'unacceptable' when what you're complaining about is, in essence, free. Donations are donations and do not give you the status of a paid customer, therefore it is up to the authors to decide what to do.

I'm locking this thread because I can't see any constructive feedback coming from it at this point.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Disappointed in Carbonite