10-24-08, 05:47 AM   #1
TelferrefleT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Interface folder problems

Having read all of the FAQs and guides on installing addons and such (making an interface folder, then an addon folder blah blah blah) I'm still having problems with addons, in that the button doesn't appear on my character list. Now, I've deleted my interface folder because I read somewhere on here that after starting WoW again it automatically makes a new interface folder with all the mods the game comes with, but that hasn't happened. All the guides say to simply create a new interface folder, but that hasn't solved the issue because it's still not creating a button. Is there any way of actually creating the button myself, because it's getting pretty frustrating x_x I'd rather not have to reinstall the whole game...but if it comes to that then so be it >_<
10-24-08, 06:21 AM   #2
LordRhys
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Check the WoW Folder properties, make sure it's not Read Only
10-24-08, 06:32 AM   #3
TelferrefleT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by LordRhys View Post
Check the WoW Folder properties, make sure it's not Read Only
Tried changing it but that still didn't resolve it. Everytime I unchecked read only and then right click and go into properties again it would still be checked...
10-24-08, 07:43 AM   #4
Tepetkhet
Premium Member

What OS are you on?

-T.
10-24-08, 11:20 AM   #5
TelferrefleT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Vista ;_; boohiss
10-24-08, 12:03 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Your new folder is C:\Public\Games or something like that...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-24-08, 01:02 PM   #7
TelferrefleT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Your new folder is C:\Public\Games or something like that...
...Pardon?
10-24-08, 01:13 PM   #8
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by TelferrefleT View Post
...Pardon?
For Windows Vista:

As of patch 3.0.2, the install location of WoW has changed from directly in the Program Files folder to a folder buried in the new Public folder. The path to your AddOns folder is now:

Program Files\User\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Addons

This confused me as well since I had a player in my guild having the same issues. However one of our Vista users was able to quickly track down the issue.
10-25-08, 10:46 AM   #9
TelferrefleT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Had a look to see if I could find that folder...yeah I can't for some reason o.O Don't have a user folder...=S I found something similar though;

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft

Though there is no AddOns folder there, so I'm gonna go ahead and assume I just make one there...

And it didn't. Groan
10-25-08, 11:32 AM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft

That's where the bridge patch moved your game folder.
10-25-08, 11:33 AM   #11
TelferrefleT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I haven't got any games folder in public, just a load of other random stuff
10-25-08, 11:35 AM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The game shortcut on your desktop... right click on it and choose Properties. It should show you the path to where the game is located.
10-25-08, 11:37 AM   #13
TelferrefleT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
The game shortcut on your desktop... right click on it and choose Properties. It should show you the path to where the game is located.
I love you

Incidentally, it was in a folder in my documents titled "WoW Patches" that I made...seriously whut the hell...anyway, thank you so much!
10-25-08, 11:40 AM   #14
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I love you

Incidentally, it was in a folder in my documents titled "WoW Patches" that I made...seriously whut the hell...anyway, thank you so much!

/blush

You're welcome
10-25-08, 02:45 PM   #15
TelferrefleT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
You'll never believe it...

Yeah, it's still not working after all. I've put the addons in and stuff...but the button still doesn't appear on my character list. That's kinda weird, right?
10-25-08, 03:46 PM   #16
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I know that you said that you read the FAQs, etc, but are you certain you're installing them correctly?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-25-08, 03:48 PM   #17
TelferrefleT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Yup. I didn't have a problem with installing the addons before the latest patch, so I dunno why I am now. I've reset my interface, reinstalled the addons and nothing....knowing me, I am doing something really simple and dumb...
10-25-08, 07:39 PM   #18
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Why don't you give the path (or a screenshot of it) to the .toc file of one of your addons.

10-26-08, 03:17 PM   #19
TelferrefleT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Well I've actually just found I have two interface folders and two WTF folders...

The path to one .toc file is C:\Users\David\Documents\WoW patches\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\XPerl-3.0.1\XPerl.toc

As for having two interface folders and two WTF folders, there are regular "Interface" and "WTF" folders with addons in the "addons" folder I put there myself, and the others are titled "Interface20081023-151415" and "WTF" with the same string of numbers. The "addons" folder in the second Interface folder has my OLD addons...'cause I did a repair about a week ago to see if that would resolve the issue.

Is this now a simple (yet annoying) case of deleting the "Interface20081023-151415" and "WTF20081023-151415" folders and hoping that resolves the issue?
10-26-08, 03:54 PM   #20
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
C:\Users\David\Documents\WoW patches\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\XPerl-3.0.1\XPerl.toc
I have highlighted your problem. The addons were not extracted properly. You have extracted the files inside the .zip to a new folder named after the zip file itself instead of preserving the folder structure inside of the .zip file.

For future reference, you may also have an easier go of things if you move wow outside of the Program Files directory as suggested in the Vista users sticky. Because it's in Program Files, Vista has moved things and stores things in different places.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Interface folder problems