12-13-12, 09:43 AM   #21
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Blizzard has done a really good job with the quest UI, to the point where I don't think you need any questing addons. Everything you need to see is marked clearly on your map. The only quest-related addon I'd suggest for new players is QuestPointer, which will make TomTom show a 3D arrow on your screen pointing you to the nearest quest objective so you can be spared the horror of opening your map to see where to go.
I'll look it up. Wholly/Grail's advantage is that it references the quests with pre-quests, so you can find the start of a quest line, and also know where to go if you're missing some for achievements. There are others that do this too, but I've found this author to be much more responsive.

Use Dropbox to sync your AddOns and WTF folders.

The only caveat is that Dropbox doesn't handle junctions/symlinks/whatevers very well, so unless you want to manually tell it to check for changes to files every time (I don't!), you'll have to actually move your AddOns and WTF folders into your Dropbox folder, and then set up junction points in your WoW folder, since WoW doesn't care if the folder is "actually" there or not.

Then, any time you change anything on one machine, it will automatically propagate to the others.
Dude! You've no clue how much time my husband has put into trying to find a way to have only one copy of wow on our machines so we aren't spending disk space annoyingly. Looking into drop box today (and hoping it works with Linux).

-Barleduq
12-13-12, 10:49 AM   #22
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Use Dropbox to sync your AddOns and WTF folders.

The only caveat is that Dropbox doesn't handle junctions/symlinks/whatevers very well, so unless you want to manually tell it to check for changes to files every time (I don't!), you'll have to actually move your AddOns and WTF folders into your Dropbox folder, and then set up junction points in your WoW folder, since WoW doesn't care if the folder is "actually" there or not.

Then, any time you change anything on one machine, it will automatically propagate to the others.
I do the same, but I use SugarSync (my referral link) instead of Dropbox. You can sync any file or folder you wish—you're not constrained to putting your stuff into some arbitrary "box". I also share my addon compilation with friends and family. Any changes I make are automatically synced to their computers as well.

Symbolic links/junction points can definitely be useful, but I prefer to use them sparingly.
12-13-12, 11:19 AM   #23
unstoppixel
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Thumbs up Google Drive

Even better may be "Google Drive". I use it for my web design stuff so that it's all synched between work and home. It's awesome. And you know Google isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
12-13-12, 11:19 AM   #24
unstoppixel
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Talking

I've seen a lot of posts recently about ElvUI conflicting with addons, and the author being unwilling to make changes to resolve such conflicts. Also, the fact that it's only available on some third-party site with questionable ads -- any ad that's asking me to download "patch management software" or to download something without actually saying what it's asking me to download cannot possibly be offering a legitimate product or service -- is a pretty big argument against using it. If you're offering a legitimate addon/UI, take 10 seconds to upload it to a trusted site like WoWI or Curse that doesn't run ads for shady malware.
Well, I suppose you can use it at your own risk then. But I haven't had any problems and I love it.
12-13-12, 11:37 AM   #25
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by unstoppixel View Post
Even better may be "Google Drive". I use it for my web design stuff so that it's all synched between work and home. It's awesome. And you know Google isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
I've tried it as well. It randomly refuses to sync some files until the software is forcibly restarted—a definite deal breaker. Symbolic links/junction points aren't supported either.
12-13-12, 08:02 PM   #26
Phanx
Cat.

I've also tried Google Drive, and had nothing but problems in the hour or so it was installed on my computer. First it deleted all of the files from the folder on my computer I'd told it to sync, and replaced them with some random ancient spreadsheet I'd had in Google Docs. Then after I restored all the files it had deleted, it required a forcible restart to recognize their existence. Then it only uploaded some of them, at a rate of (un-)speed not often seen since the dial-up days. Then I created a junction in my sync folder and restarted Google Drive, and it could not see the junction at all. Between all that and the Google Drive web interface being as bloated with incredibly slow scripting as GMail's web interface, I just couldn't see any reason to use it.

SugarSync looks promising, though. I'll take a look at it later when I'm at home. It would be nice not to have everything in a specific folder.
12-15-12, 09:41 AM   #27
Vranx
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Might want to check out Cubby too. http://www.cubby.com/
12-18-12, 09:21 AM   #28
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Vranx View Post
Might want to check out Cubby too. http://www.cubby.com/
Originally Posted by Talyrius View Post
I do the same, but I use SugarSync (my referral link) instead of Dropbox.
Wheee! I'd already installed Dropbox before I saw this; now trying to figure out how to have them being used concurrently to test them against each other.

I had a couple of questions about running Dropbox that haven't been answered yet. (low-end sysop/newbie-to-linux questions, things I can't remember how to do; asking the dropbox folks is a way of testing their linux cred and customer service attitude.)

Thanks for the recommendations, folks!
-Barleduq
12-18-12, 08:16 PM   #29
Phanx
Cat.

Cubby looks promising, especially with the ability to share data without actually storing it in the cloud. I've been using Opera Unite to access my ~200gb music collection and some other folders from work without having to install any dedicated remote-access software on either end, but Opera is phasing that out, and it wasn't really designed for that anyway. If you have a referral link feel free to PM it to me for some extra space!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Addons for new players.