02-07-15, 11:17 AM   #1
nsnd
A Murloc Raider
Post Combining Minimaps Question

I combined the minimaps, but what I really love about Carbonite is the map (fancy that, right?). However, when I combine the minimaps, I don't get to see the quest areas on the map. Also, the gather addon for carbonite doesn't work; I have to use the normal gather addon.

Is there a way to either:
A - Combine the maps and keep the functionality of Carbonite in tact.
B - Remove the wow minimap and keep the buttons so I can use Carbonite completely.
C - Something else you can think of that is bomb digity.

Any help is much appreciated.
02-08-15, 11:52 AM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't know what you're looking for, but combining the maps doesn't do anything to the "functionality" of Carbonite. It is designed to work that way. That's the way it works best.

You want to
B - Remove the wow minimap and keep the buttons so I can use Carbonite completely.
What buttons? The minimap buttons? Carbonite has it's own "Minimap Button Window" that takes the minimap buttons off of the minimap. It woks with or without the maps merged. So, what buttons?

The Quest Watch buttons? They are a part of the Quest Watch, so if you're using that the buttons are there.

If the maps are not merged you won't get the active node icon on the Carbonite map, but I don't know if there is anything else you won't get on Carbonite's map.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 02-08-15 at 12:14 PM.
02-08-15, 05:19 PM   #3
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
That's the way it works best.
It may work best for you, but not for me. The merged Blizzard Minimap cannot be resized by users. For me, it's just too small to be useful (visually).

If the maps are not merged you won't get the active node icon on the Carbonite map, but I don't know if there is anything else you won't get on Carbonite's map.
Well, there's at least one icon which Carbonite fails to show on its map views, even though Blizzard shows it on its Minimap.

See attached examples of just one POI which won't show on Carbonite's map views.

It did work more or less properly, a few updates ago. But, it isn't working now.
NOTE: I'm using the "DEV" files and not the "Live" version files. I thought the "DEV" files were supposed to be more up-to-date than the "Live" version files. Maybe I'm wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mailbox_Not_Shown_On_Carbonite_Maps.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	997.8 KB
ID:	8487  Click image for larger version

Name:	Common_Place_Option_Has_Issues.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	471.0 KB
ID:	8488  
02-08-15, 06:16 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't know... I am using the release version of Carbonite, and the icons on the map(s) work the same way they have for a while now (how long I don't actually know). To get the icon for the mail box, you have to right-click the minimized map and choose "Show..." from the menu, then in the next menu you have to make sure there is a check mark in the box for "Show Guide POIs". That's the only way I've found that does it. Maybe the maps have to be merged for it to show up on Carbonite's maps. The "Guide" "Common Place"s page is to show you where the closest one, of the kind you click on the icon for, is. Highlighting them does nothing, as far as I can tell. There used to be a text file that came with Carbonite.... It still does! It's in the "Docs" folder and it's called "CarboniteReadMe". It's out of date, but mostly still good. Take a look through it (it's a long one).

If you think Blizzard's minimap is too small when merged with the Carbonite map, do an experiment. Merge the maps and make the Blizzard minimap 100% visible (using the right-click menu - "Minim..."). Then go on a quest. You'll go nuts watching the Blizzard minimap re-size itself constantly. I don't know why it does that, but it does. You say
The merged Blizzard Minimap cannot be resized by users.
. No, it can't. That's because it's being constantly re-sized by the Carbonite addon. I think it has to do that for some reason.

Name:	MinimizedMap-right_click.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	8489

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 02-08-15 at 06:19 PM.
02-08-15, 10:10 PM   #5
Kreelor
A Firelord

I don't know... I am using the release version of Carbonite, and the icons on the map(s) work the same way they have for a while now (how long I don't actually know). To get the icon for the mail box, you have to right-click the minimized map and choose "Show..." from the menu, then in the next menu you have to make sure there is a check mark in the box for "Show Guide POIs". That's the only way I've found that does it. Maybe the maps have to be merged for it to show up on Carbonite's maps. The "Guide" "Common Place"s page is to show you where the closest one, of the kind you click on the icon for, is. Highlighting them does nothing, as far as I can tell. There used to be a text file that came with Carbonite.... It still does! It's in the "Docs" folder and it's called "CarboniteReadMe". It's out of date, but mostly still good. Take a look through it (it's a long one).

If you think Blizzard's minimap is too small when merged with the Carbonite map, do an experiment. Merge the maps and make the Blizzard minimap 100% visible (using the right-click menu - "Minim..."). Then go on a quest. You'll go nuts watching the Blizzard minimap re-size itself constantly. I don't know why it does that, but it does. You say . No, it can't. That's because it's being constantly re-sized by the Carbonite addon. I think it has to do that for some reason.

Attachment 8489
Hi, jeffy162.

I know that I can click on one, single icon (in the Guide) to get it to show the closest one single icon nearest to me. (Often, that doesn't even work! -- ha ha). But, that defeats the purpose. If they were visible on the map (like Blizzard's minimap), I could easily fly/run to the closest one. My point was that they do not ALL show up on Carbonite's maps for convenience. Once upon a time, they used to.

The point I was trying to make about the merged Blizzard Minimap into Carbonite's larger-view map was that I wished Blizzard gave users control over its size and position -- just like the Auctioneer addon gives users control over its size and position. The Minimap is so damned small, I can't distinguish any features within it. Plus, it too dark (at least it is on my monitor. And, in caves, etc., that's especially true). Maybe it's 'brighter' on other players' monitors? I don't know. I even increased the WoW UI SCALE so that the Blizzard Minimap would be large enough to be useful (to see at least some details). But, that has no real effect upon its size when it's merged. I just wish I could drag a corner of the Minimap and scale it to the size I want. I'm using a HD Monitor at 1920x1080 rez, so everything is smaller on the screen. Nothing in this world is perfect, but I'm only striving to make it playable (for me). ha ha. Merging the Minimap is out of the question for me. I tried it several times, but found myself having to zoom in/out constantly, just to try to see what was shown in it. Frustrating experience.

As I understood it (from long, long ago), Carbonite map(s) were supposed to show whatever the Blizzard Main map (and their Minimap) showed -- including ALL the (user-selectable) POI's, etc. (They did show at one time!). Carbonite hasn't done that in a very long while. In my opinion, all the maps should show all the POI's etc, with the exception of the FLASHING Mining/Herbalism NODES which apparently cannot be replicated in Carbonite.

My main point was that there many POI's that do not show up on the Carbonite map views, while they do show up on Blizzard's Minimap. If I'm having this problem because I'm using the "DEV" version, that could be the reason. But, that also means the "DEV" version has errors in it.

I'm not griping. I'm only mentioning things that I see; things which nobody else has commented on. Maybe they see what I see, or maybe they don't? I'm just offering info in an attempt to help.
Rythal and I went through a long discussion in the distant past about POI's not showing up, etc. There was a period when they did show up, but that patch must have gotten overwritten? Maybe it was the interim patch created by another user which allowed things to work in his? I don't know at this point.

I was trying to give a little more information to the original poster "nsnd."
02-08-15, 11:00 PM   #6
nsnd
A Murloc Raider
Thanks for the replies. After seeing your posts, I figured attaching pictures may make it easier to understand what I'm looking for.

In SS1...
  • ... I found that the gather addon was working like I wanted.
  • ... the cabonite quest overlay (colored pixels) are showing.
  • ... the minimap is square (because it's sexy).

In SS2...
  • ... the buttons that normally surround the minimap are in a nice line on the right.
  • ... the minimap shows the light blue blizzard overlay.
  • ... the minimap shows the grid in a circle (as thought the map was still circular).

Hopefully this helps explain what I'm looking for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ss_1.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	8490  Click image for larger version

Name:	ss_2.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	8491  
02-09-15, 11:25 AM   #7
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's easy, if all you want is the "Minimap Button Window".

Open Carbonite's Options to the "Maps" sub-heading. On the top of the left window there are three (3) tabs. You want the one that says "Minimap Button Options", to start with.

Left-click the "Minimap Button Options" tab, and make sure there is a check mark in the "Move Minimap Buttons into Carbonite Minimap Frame". Make sure the "Button Window" is not locked when you first do this to allow you to move the window where you want it. Lock it after you put it where you want it.

The "Quest Blobs" are another matter. I'm not sure, but if you right-click the Carbonite minimized map and choose "Show..." in the menu, then "Show Quest Blobs" (make sure there's no check mark) in the next menu you might have a chance of not getting the "blue Blizzard quest blobs" on your Carbonite minimized map. I'm not sure because I get them, but it was checked in my installation and I just unchecked it to test it when I took the screen shot. I know, they are ugly and intrusive on Carbonite's map.

Name:	Map - quest_blobs.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	8500

02-09-15, 12:30 PM   #8
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Carbonite has never, and will never show every icon that is on the minimap. It's just not possible. There is no API calls to find out what is on the minimap, they locked it down and keep it closed and this has been explained time and time again.

Things like mailboxes are because someone spent the time to convert the wowdb's so that Carbonite knows about it.

The last zone ever updated for Mailboxes was 720 which is Uldum.
02-09-15, 01:29 PM   #9
nsnd
A Murloc Raider
Wow... Not sure why I never used that tab. It's pretty obvious, actually. Jeffy162, thank you very much! Everything is working like I wanted it.
02-09-15, 04:40 PM   #10
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm glad you got it set up the way you like it. Good Luck!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: Maps (Main AddOn) » Combining Minimaps Question