08-16-10, 05:18 AM   #1
Belgarius
A Fallenroot Satyr
Question Chat Frame: Resets in .30

I recently upgraded to 5.06.30, and noticed right off the bat, my chat frames are resetting when I exit the game. For instance, I set up a tab for a channel, edit both it and general to contain the chat I desire, and when I exit the game and re-enter, the chat has reverted back to only General. I then have to put the extra tab back in, and re-assign the chats desired into it. Strangely enough, the General tab will contain the ally channel that I have assigned to the second tab, and will require that to be removed as well.

Not running any other chat mods with nUI, and doing a /nui rl doesn't restore the missing tab and settings as it did with .29 No biggie, just perplexed.

08-16-10, 06:27 AM   #2
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Are you running nUI alone, or with another chat mod? There is a chat config file located in your WTF folder... are you *certain* WoW has write permission on that file?

BTW: David Eddings Rules! ~smile~

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

08-16-10, 10:16 AM   #3
Belgarius
A Fallenroot Satyr
While I do run a few other addons with nUI, none of them are chat related. And to the best of my knowledge, the permissions are correct; I run everything on my system as admin as I am the sole user of it.

I took a looksee at the contents of the WTF folder, under the account name, and then the character name, and found no chat.config file listed. I did find one named chat.txt that shows the tabs and the settings for each of them. I am not certain if this is what you are referring to or not, however, the second window is listed as Combat Log therein, and the shared channel I set the second window up for is listed in General. I plan to log back into the game, reset the tabs the way I want them, and then try to take a look at this file while logged in, and again while logged out to see if things are changing for some weird reason.

With .29, I would periodically have to reload to get the second tab to show up, but the settings were kept intact. The only difference I can think of is my updating to .30 over the weekend. I'll keep digging, and hopefully will have a bit more useful information on my next reply.

Yep... Eddings is one of my favorites. Not many have caught the similarity there.

08-16-10, 01:59 PM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Another David Eddings fan here

the chat config file is chat-cache.txt it holds the settings for every chat frame you can store details for. Basically the first 10. Anything after that are temporary for that login or chat session.

An example of what it looks like is as follows:

Code:
WINDOW 2
NAME Combat Log
SIZE 16
COLOR 0 0 0 0
LOCKED 1
UNINTERACTABLE 0
DOCKED 0
SHOWN 1
POSITION BOTTOMRIGHT -0.011519 0.051742
DIMENSIONS 406.585266 201.951218

OPENING
TRADESKILLS
PET_INFO
COMBAT_XP_GAIN
COMBAT_HONOR_GAIN
COMBAT_MISC_INFO
END

CHANNELS
END

ZONECHANNELS 0

END

WINDOW 3
NAME Guild
SIZE 14
COLOR 0 0 0 0
LOCKED 1
UNINTERACTABLE 0
DOCKED 3
SHOWN 0
POSITION BOTTOMLEFT 0.018229 0.053687
DIMENSIONS 408.048828 144.878052

OFFICER
GUILD_ACHIEVEMENT
END

CHANNELS
END

ZONECHANNELS 0

END

WINDOW 4
NAME Chat
SIZE 14
COLOR 0 0 0 0
LOCKED 1
UNINTERACTABLE 0
DOCKED 4
SHOWN 0

CHANNELS
END

ZONECHANNELS 0

END

WINDOW 5
SIZE 14
COLOR 0 0 0 0
LOCKED 1
UNINTERACTABLE 0
DOCKED 0
SHOWN 0

CHANNELS
END

ZONECHANNELS 0

END

Although if you open it with notepad it does look garbled.  I use programmer's notepad but perhaps wordpad or word or some other text file reader will read it in clearly for you to see what it contains.  Or else attach the file.

08-17-10, 04:46 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Belgarius View Post
... the second window is listed as Combat Log therein, and the shared channel I set the second window up for is listed in General.
If you're trying to use the second chat window (the one that defaults to the Combat Log) to show normal chat, that's your problem. That window is hardcoded to be the Combat Log, and any attempts to change it through the standard UI will fail; you'd need a specialized mod that hooked into Blizzard's code and put the Combat Log into another frame, and I don't know that any of those exist yet, at least in the public sphere.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » Chat Frame: Resets in .30