02-28-20, 12:15 AM   #1
Yukka
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Satellite texture for the map

Hello, I'm stuck to make an addon...

When I open the map window I don't know how to replace its "draw" texture by the "satellite" texture.

And I don't know how to add a button to the map window to toggle between the drawing and the satellite texture.

Please feed my brain.
02-28-20, 01:42 AM   #2
elcius
A Cliff Giant
The minimap textures are stored in /World/Minimaps/, iirc addons were forbidden from accessing files outside of /Interface in a recent patch, so you'll have to make a copy in the addons folder.

Texture files are separated into folders, prior to the C_Map overhaul the map folder names were exposed, but i don't think that is the case anymore, so you'll probably need to create a map of folder names to map ids.

Inside the map folders you'll find a mess of 256x256 texture fragments, you'll need to piece them together, just place them on a 64x64 grid as they are numbered, tile 32_32 will be the map center (it's also where the 0,0 world position is in-game).
02-28-20, 09:16 AM   #3
Yukka
A Theradrim Guardian

Ahh that's why... It's too complicated to do for me right now, I'll try to finish that addon later once I'll be more experienced ^^ thanks anyways.
03-01-20, 09:05 AM   #4
Yukka
A Theradrim Guardian

Hey I was thinking maybe rather that giving the satellite view to the map it would be better if we can just expand the minimap? Is this possible to add a button to the minimap that enlarge the size of its frame (800x800) and hide the circular border?
03-01-20, 12:25 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Sure, but just know that this would only make the minimap (what you can already see) larger. It will not allow you to see more than the maximum zoom allows. Is this what you want?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-02-20, 07:40 AM   #6
Yukka
A Theradrim Guardian

I made a photoshoped picture to show you what I would like to obtain. There's a button on the minimap that makes the minimap frame bigger so I can see more of the field around.

03-02-20, 01:42 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well, like I said, you won't be able to see more. You'll just see it bigger.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-02-20, 02:30 PM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
The Minimap Zoom Level Range 1 - 5 is fixed behind the scene. All we can do is choose one of the zoom levels. The zoom level decides what area of the chosen map image to display. If I understood the blizzard code correctly that is .

Last edited by Xrystal : 03-02-20 at 02:32 PM.
03-02-20, 08:45 PM   #9
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

My computer gave up the ghost in 2016, so I'm not really up to date on what's good now. Anyway, maybe you should take a look at Carbonite (it's an addon). Please keep in mind that it is a large modular questing addon, but, it has it's own maps that SOUND like they are just what you are looking for. I realize it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it might give you some ideas.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
03-03-20, 04:58 AM   #10
Yukka
A Theradrim Guardian

I tryed Carbonite but it has a strange interface that zoom and move weird ^^
04-06-20, 07:52 AM   #11
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Late answer, I know, but... You should know that you can lock the zoom function of the maps in Carbonite. As for their maps moving weird, all can say is that ... It's possible, but I used Carbonite for about five years and never had that problem. Just make sure that you have it set to "follow you" and that you have the maps zoom factor locked. All of that SHOULD be available through the right-click menu on the maps.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Satellite texture for the map