05-28-09, 10:45 AM   #1
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Memory Leak

I use Ark Inventory as well as Carbonite. I am getting a Memory leak for Carb. When I turn off Carb, I lose the leak. I found that it was a conflict in Ark Inventory. When I turn Ark off, I lose the leak also. Carb is more important to me. So this is an FYI. Not sure what other bag addon I can use. Thank you for the great work.

Faldiin

05-28-09, 11:09 AM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I just read the other day one of the addon authors here (and I can't remember who) state that addons cannot have memory leaks.

05-28-09, 11:13 AM   #3
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
I just read the other day one of the addon authors here (and I can't remember who) state that addons cannot have memory leaks.

Well I start my memory at 53 mb and the game crashes as it climbs to 107mb. I have to /reload every 20 mins or the game crashes. I dont have this issue with I remove 1 of the 2 addons. So if that is not a memory leak then please tell me what it is called.

Faldiin.

05-28-09, 11:27 AM   #4
Akryn
A Firelord
I don't have anything helpful to say; but technically it's true that addons can't have memory "leaks" ... they can however do what you describe which is simply using too much memory.

05-28-09, 11:30 AM   #5
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Well we can keep arguing this but I know they can have memory leaks. I have a few friends that program. In either case. There is an issue that Carb is growing on memory and being unstable with Ark. So this point still stands.

Faldiin

05-28-09, 11:36 AM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Faldiin View Post
Well we can keep arguing this but I know they can have memory leaks.
Faldiin
No, they can't. I found the comment I refered to earlier. Scott is a software engineer and an amazing addon author.

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
There is no such thing as a memory leak in an addon, if it matters any... addons use dynamic memory and a garbage collector. Unless the addon keeps adding memory it never stops using, it cannot "leak" memory because as soon as it no longer references the memory, it is available to the garbage collector.

05-28-09, 11:32 AM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

To rule out any corrupted files, delete the Cache folder and move the Interface and WTF folders temporarily to your desktop (the WTF folder will be auto re created when you log in again). Manually recreate the Interface/Addons folders and download a fresh copy of Carbonite. Log into the game and see if the issue persists.

05-28-09, 11:35 AM   #8
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
To rule out any corrupted files, delete the Cache folder and move the Interface and WTF folders temporarily to your desktop (the WTF folder will be auto re created when you log in again). Manually recreate the Interface/Addons folders and download a fresh copy of Carbonite. Log into the game and see if the issue persists.

I have rebuild the ui from the group up and still getting the issue. Deleted everything. I have a friend that was having the same issue and left Carb. It has taken me a few weeks to figure it out since I was not in a hurry. The latest patches to Carb made it worse. I am going to ask her to try it also and see if it works for her.

Faldiin

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Memory Leak