05-21-09, 02:54 PM   #21
Zaydok
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by honem View Post
I can offer up my OS X 10.5.6 PPC beta testing ....

But I probably won't end up using it . No offence intended here Mr Shirik but I don't think it meets my needs.

I update only every week or so off email updates in a folder in my email. I prefer to examine every change log to see if it's a major update , minor update or if it's an update i'm either interested in or need.

This whole process only takes me 15 mins or so.

I guess my perfect updater program solution would be one that gets these emails out of my email box , examines them for specificed tags then downloads and installs them automatically , giving me a report.

Not really feasible but I'm happy with my current updating method.
I read this and your LJ post and I think that it is fine that you found your own way of doing things. I can't knock you for doing things the way you want to do them. However, both of your posts have a preachy feel to them (as if to say shame on your for using automatic updaters) and I think you should realize that to the average person that your system is... well imho... off the beaten path. I get that emails about updates could be rather handy if left with no other option, but you say that out of 22 updates you download 4. I for one am a raider and I have seen the chaos that can arise of other people in the raid not having the latest version of addons. Omen for one can be way off, DBM and BigWigs can be way off to name a few good examples.

To me I think that when an addon author releases an addon, they have released something that they thought was worth updating for. I know it isn't a perfect world an that sometimes it is only a localization update, but for the most part who better to say "Okay guys time to update" then the people who are intimate with the coding of the addon. Do you know something that they don't? Are you in a better position than they are to judge whether something is worth it? Like I said I can't and won't push you to change your system, just providing some food for thought here.

I for one am greatful that Minion is soon to be released. With it the updating process should take 1-3 minutes, and I'll let the addon authors tell me whether to update by whether they release an update or not. Not to mention that I will be recommending Minion to all of my raiders for the quick updates on raid day. I've seen 30 minutes on raid day lost to an important update being released same day and everyone scurrying to find where to download it. With Minion they'll know right where to go to grab it.

Thanks to everyone behind Minion! Can't wait for the beta release!
05-23-09, 02:33 AM   #22
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Eklypse View Post
I read this and your LJ post and I think that it is
fine that you found your own way of doing things.
Reply posted to :

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...t=23447&page=2

My reply got too long and I don't wanna derail this thread

Originally Posted by Eklypse View Post
I've seen 30 minutes on raid day lost to an important update being released same day and everyone scurrying to find where to download it. With Minion they'll know right where to go to grab it.
A better idea would be to pay attention to the change logs of the addon updates and scan for any mention of it being updated for the new patch ahead of time. Then you can have all your addons updated before the patch hits and you don't have to waste 30 mins of raiding time scurrying to find updates. The majority of addon updates for 3.1 were TOC updates which are relatively minor on the "must update" scale.

Personally and I'm not trying to make a personal dig here but I prefer to know _exactly_ where to find updates for any of my addons. Makes things much easier when I need to go yell at the author for missing something out
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 05-23-09 at 02:45 AM.
05-25-09, 03:40 PM   #23
DonCorneo
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Talking

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
I'm taking screenshots of abso-frigging-lutely every little step for the Installation and Usage FAQ.
Could you make sure to catch the ones to spell my login name correctly pretty please??

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Beta testing