07-18-13, 05:31 PM   #1
Voxxel
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Angry Infuriating oRA3 issues...

Ok, so I have replaced my good old CTRA mod with oRA3 because some of you guys highly recommended it here at WoWInterface. Cleaner code, etc, etc.

Now, a month leater I'm getting really frustrated, mad and pisssed off already about this addon's completely user-unfriendly usage. I really can't find out even the most simple things about this oRA3...

How come there's no any list of slash commands available? Ok, most of the command are taken from CTRA but hey! they implemented a list in there at least! I simply can't issue a custom vote to my raid because the good old /ravote command simply trashed out from oRA3?? Ok, no problem, maybe the authors have changed the command. Lets see what command can I use instead.... I did hours of searching over the internet, googling it over and over again with no success!! I simply can't find a complete list of available oRA3 slash commands or even a full documentation that probably contains it. Moreover, the authors included a "little reference" of slash commands into the ingame options with the most well known commands but not a single indication or link for the complete list!

I miss not only the /ravote but many, many more commands like /ratab, rakeyword (/rakw), /raitem or even /rarly !! That was fun!
Can anyone tell me why on the earth I can't find a simple list of slash command for oRA3 anywere? It's seems somewhat similar to a fcking State Secret...

Ammo, funky, I really appreciated your hard work, and love most of your stuff but tell my why on earth should this oRA3 be so user-unfriendly and overcomplicated compared to the original CTRA? That was plain and understandable, and so easy to use. I just typed the addon's name (as any other wow addon's name) in the chat: /ctra and BANG! I got my addon's options screen on the fisrt shot! Ohh, look at this! Even on the fisrt page I opened I've been informed to type /RAHELP if I want to know more! and DENG, I got a really nice long list about available slash commands! And thats all INGAME! On the very first look! So simple usage for a complicated addon! I like user-friendly stuff! OH MY! And that is fcking... REGULAR. Every addon works like this. every but oRA.

... I remember my first meeting with oRA3. I was trying to bring forth the addon's panel, spending a good 10 minutes on trying various console commands, like /ora3 /ora /ra /ctra /whateverRA when I realised there's no slash command. Well, at least I can't find it and the addon doesn't tell me its secret. Anyway, the outcome is the same. Spent another 10 minutes until I found out that I should go into the "Social" menu then I should go deeper into the raid tab if I want to see something oRAish... Clicking here and then there all over the time as there is not a single command to bring up oRA3... is reeeally wearisome. Yea, yea, I'm the user. I must be know of if any commands available. Well, no problem. I like meetings!

So I wanted to issue a damned custom vote today in ToT and I just.... couldn't. /ravote doesn't seem to work. Google wasn't help at all.

You guys gave us the "little reference" of slash commands so where's the rest?? Where?

Why don't you simply put a link into there to redirect us users who interested in more? Why are you hiding the damned slash commands like secrets?? Why are you hiding even your addon in the game? A lot of time needed to figure how to rout out the oRA3 tab. Why did you remove /ratab? Was it too damned simple? Why /ora3 can't make it? Where is the help command since you trashed /rahelp out aswell? Why I can't set a new inviting keyword without clicking ALL THE WAY AGAIN back into the freaking Social menu THEN clicking the raid tab THEN clicking on the options menu THEN clicking on the invite tab.... Torture! It's a torture! You tortured us guys! Tell me there's slash commands! Ok, how can I check if everyone in the raid has say Bandages since /raitem also does not work anymore.

Where is the rest of the slash commands? Would you guys tell me why this info is impossible to find? Also would you tell me please why don't you simplify the usage of oRA3 as made before in CTRA? Slash commands would greatly ease our life... Well there may be some but why you don't let us know?

Last edited by Voxxel : 07-18-13 at 05:46 PM.
07-18-13, 07:11 PM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
1. You should post feedback before you get to the point where you're pulling out your hair
It makes for less drama.
2. That handly little reference in the oRA3 options is the full /command reference, there's no "full list" to link.
3. If you don't have the option "show with raid panel" checked (meaning it will open if you navigate the social frame to the raid tab) or do /raidinfo you either:
3a. Use one of the oRA3 commands like /radur /ralag /razone etc
3b. Set a keybind from the Game keybind options to toggle the frame as mentioned in the in-game help.
3c. Make a macro with /run oRA3:ToggleFrame()
4. oRA3 can work as a replacement for most CTRA functionality, that doesn't mean it's a remake of CTRA or a clone with 100% the same features.
That's even more true since the move from oRA2 to oRA3 (oRA2 was closer to the original, provided its own tank frames etc, oRA3 the authors decided to keep it strictly raid utility and not make it an all-in-one unitframes + whatever else)
An addon matures, there comes a point where it makes its own path and stops being a better coded clone of another addon no matter if that was the original inspiration.

A voting interface is not part of oRA3, you could make your case that it falls under raid utility and post a feature request .

Hope that covers most of it... more importantly... breathe
07-19-13, 02:53 AM   #3
Voxxel
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Thanks for the reply Dridzt! So after a calm sleep I woke up and took notice that I still have all the hair on my head! Your comment explains a lot but you know what really screws me up still, is the complete lack of logic.

1. First thing first, since the addon uses many ctra commands the users are entitled to think this is a ctra rewrite - especially if the authors themselves refer to it.
2. So from an old addon's rewrite users expect the same or similar functionality. There is no problem AT ALL if the addon doesn't provide the same benefits nor even if the authors change everything inside out or turn their project into a castrated substitute - in the case of they notice users about the changes. I can imagine a warning on the ora options panel "Beware! The ora team has wiped out many old commands and functions" and in that case I don't expect a new CTRA. In that case this topic won't be exist. Logically, a notice like that can not work out until they share the full list of commands in a way or another. Then we may able to see what remains and what gone. About the so called commands,
oRA3 sports a range of slash commands to aid you in fast-paced raiding. In case you weren't around the old CTRA days here is a little reference. All of the slash commands have various shorthands and also longer, more descriptive alternatives in some cases, for convenience.
I count eight.. no, nine commands. Still, where's the rest? Where's that wide range you talking about? You say those nine are just a small portion, just a little reference of commands? There SHOULD be more then, amirite?

Well, tbh, I'm getting close to be afraid that this is just for the show. It's a pathetic teaser that misguides us and in fact there is not much more slash command at all... Otherewise it may be announced. Otherwise it can be found somewhere. Anywhere! Otherwise a Dridzt should know about it. Well, in that case, I thank you oRA guys for the frustrating mystification and alll the hair-pulling you made.

Dridzt, thank you for the macro, at least I can open oRA3 whenever I want to... as even this should be a challenge, for convenience.

Last edited by Voxxel : 07-19-13 at 03:14 AM.
07-19-13, 03:13 AM   #4
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

"In case you weren't around the old CTRA days"

Emphasis mine, because it needed emphasis. CTRA was maintained well beyond those days.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
07-19-13, 06:05 AM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

If you like CTRA so much, and it wasn't causing you any problems, why don't you just keep using it?

Originally Posted by Voxxel View Post
... since the addon uses many ctra commands the users are entitled to think this is a ctra rewrite - especially if the authors themselves refer to it.
When the original oRA was written, 60 was still the max level. Back then, it was written as an alternative to CTRA, which at the time was the only addon of its kind. Adopting the commands that users were already familiar with made sense. Both addons have changed a lot over the years, but it wouldn't be very reasonable for oRA to suddenly change all its slash commands just because the two addons no longer have identical feature sets.

There are probably people who have been using oRA for 7 years. Why screw them over by changing all the commands just so newcomers like you aren't confused for the 30 seconds it takes you to read the documentation on the download page (which, by the way, doesn't mention CTRA at all)? If, after reading the documentation, you assumed that there must be more features just because some of the commands were based on the commands in some other addon you used to use, that's all on you.

Also, I take issue with your statement that you're "entitled" to anything here. You're using software for free that some unpaid hobbyist wrote for free in their spare time to improve their own gameplay experience and released for free in the hopes that maybe it might improve someone else's gameplay experience too. If you want to suggest a new feature, or ask for clarification about an existing feature, or just share your experience with the addon, posting a giant rant about how you assumed something based on nothing, did not communicate your assumptions to anyone, and are now steaming mad that the addon doesn't magically conform to your assumptions, is not a productive way to do that.

... from an old addon's rewrite users expect the same or similar functionality.
oRA is not a "CTRA rewrite". Nobody associated with the project has ever called it that or said it was that. You made that assumption all on your own, and it's about as accurate as assuming that Healbot is a "Grid rewrite", which is not accurate at all -- if there's only one addon that does something, and you write another addon that does that something a little differently, your addon is not a rewrite of the first addon. It's just a new addon that offers similar features.

I can imagine a warning on the ora options panel "Beware! The ora team has wiped out many old commands and functions" and in that case I don't expect a new CTRA.
Why did you expect "a new CTRA" in the first place? Why do you think the authors of one addon should include a warning informing users that their addon is not the same as some other addon they did not write and have nothing to do with? Should Blizzard include a warning in the options for their compact raid frames informing users that the Blizzard raid frames aren't the same as Healbot?
07-20-13, 04:03 AM   #6
Voxxel
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Why screw them over by changing all the commands just so newcomers like you aren't confused
Phanx, nobody asked for changes to anything already existed in oRA, therefore nobody may be screwed over. I don't know where did you get this at all. I was asking for add new stuff that may reduce confusions in some heads and the most important: may turn the addon way easier to use.

Do you agree that using a short slash command way easier than clicking through numerous menus and tabs in order to set a function to work?
you to read the documentation on the download page (which, by the way, doesn't mention CTRA at all)? If, after reading the documentation, you assumed that there must be more features just because some of the commands were based on the commands in some other addon you used to use, that's all on you.
So you trying to misinterpret the obvious. Well, you just can't in this case. You know they already credited the old addon you talking about that they took commands from. Why should they include an information they think isn't so important in "documentation" or anywhere else if they have already gave the credits to them somewhere. It's up tho them. Anyway, why do you want to convince anybody the opposite of the evidence? This is a lame excuse and you know that aswell.

oRA is not a "CTRA rewrite". Nobody associated with the project has ever called it that or said it was that.
Read above. No comments. They use the CTRA's set of commands and functions. For god's sake, they already credited CTRA! What is this all about? If you still talk around that oRA3 has nothing to do with CTRA ouside of accident similarity, then there's nothing more we can discuss here.

ps: Did HB adopt Grid's command set and core and gave credits to you or even Maia? omg I didn't know that!

Last edited by Voxxel : 07-20-13 at 04:13 AM.
07-20-13, 05:07 AM   #7
humfras
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
So, you're raging about ...???
If you don't like it, don't use it.

oRA was inspired by CTRA but it never was a rewrite/copy. They just used the same commands because users were used to it by CTRA.
oRA is as the Author wants it to be. Simple as that. You can rage as much as you like but it won't take you anywhere.

If you want an AddOn that's 'just like CTRA', use CTRA. If oRA serves what you need, stick to it. But do not complain and moan about an AddOn not being like another one.

You can contact the author(s) and ask for additions/changes.
07-20-13, 08:09 AM   #8
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
so....OP is pissed off at the oRA3 author because of "issues".

Sounds to me like OP didn't get enough hugs from mom when he was a kid.

He should probably go write his own addon then, with no compensation, and see what people get pissed at him about.

Sheesh.

Marth

07-20-13, 05:30 PM   #9
nebula
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Read above. No comments. They use the CTRA's set of commands and functions. For god's sake, they already credited CTRA! What is this all about? If you still talk around that oRA3 has nothing to do with CTRA ouside of accident similarity, then there's nothing more we can discuss here.
oRA (and later oRA2 using Ace2) was a drop-in replacement for CTRA, there is no "accident[al] similarity". It was a modular, low-memory replacement, written to provide many of the same features and maintain compatibility with CTRA. If people didn't want to switch, you could still get most of the sync'd information regardless of which addon people used. With oRA3, compatibility was cut and some features were removed from the core addon.

I'm not sure why you were expecting features that were listed no where on the project page or in the settings. The slash commands that are listed are mostly a legacy feature as the Ace3 design approach does away with nested drop downs and slash command option setting in favor of using a GUI.

If you had simply looked at the settings panel after you installed the addon instead of assuming it was a CTRA clone, you would have avoided your frustration.

Last edited by nebula : 07-20-13 at 05:54 PM.
07-22-13, 07:33 AM   #10
Xruptor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

WOW never seen someone get so upset at an addon.

I'm going to agree with everything Phanx has said. He is absolutely right.

As an addon author I will give you some advice.

First, addon authors provide their addons free of charge and create them on their spare time. These addons usually are created out of a need to simplify an ingame mechanic. Addons authors aren't being paid to create and maintain their addons. Instead they make these addons to enrich the WOW addon community and provide useful alternatives to blizzard functions. (Out of the goodness of their hearts pretty much). So demanding that an addon author add a feature or to simplify a feature (just because you don't understand it) isn't going to amount to much. Take the time to read an addons description or even ask questions (POLITELY) to an addon author. You can make SUGGESTIONS and provide FEEDBACK to have something added to a addon, but remember we are programming these addons on our spare time (and for free). Don't expect it to be implemented overnight all the time.

I've always added feature requests to my addons when folks have asked politely or have had a valid argument for adding it. Sometimes it takes me a few days sometimes I can do it in 15 minutes.

Shouting at or fuming at an addon or it's author isn't going to get anything done. In fact it may have the complete opposite result. As the addon author may entirely ignore you.

That being said, I took the liberty to do a little research for you on oRA. I've known about the addon for years and have known it was a alternative replacement for CTRA. (Not a complete replacement mind you!) Now if you look at oRA3, they have decided to strip out a bunch of unused or useless code in an effort to streamline the core functions of oRA. It looks like they want to make oRA an independent addon. If you just LOOK at the description page of oRA3 you would have seen that. (http://www.wowinterface.com/download...oRA3.html#info) There is no vote feature and main tank frames mentioned in the description. You can also see that oRA3 is not compatible with oRA2. The previous version of oRA2 was quite literally an exact duplicate of CTRA function but as a minimalistic approach. It had voting and it's own main tank windows. The fact that the previous version doesn't work with the current version should have given you a clue about the massive amount of changes in oRA3.

If you liked CTRA so much why didn't you just stick with it? I seriously don't understand why your fuming so much about this.

if (sizeof(sadness) > sizeof(happiness)) { initDepression(); }

Last edited by Xruptor : 07-22-13 at 07:36 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Infuriating oRA3 issues...