02-13-07, 11:35 PM   #1
JadenX
A Kobold Labourer

BitCom (NextGen) - PreBeta Concept

About BitCom (NextGen):
BitCom came to light from ideas by a great friend of mine. He started to put his ideas into motion in an addon called Jaguar but never got to finish it. BitCom is going to be a NextGen (as it were) communication addon for WoW. While it's main focus is going to be on chat-type features, I will be expanding it to include other communication options for mailing, friends list, etc. I know a lot of these features have been done in other mods but I hope to do them better. Also, having all these options in one addon, will greatly reduce compatibility risks. They will be coded to work together and will all be coded to LoadOnDemand to greatly reduce the memory usage.

Planned Features:
This is not a comprehensive list of features I plan to add, but it's a start. This list will probably change over time. Things will be added and things will be removed. If there is anything you would like to see added, please let me know

MSN-Style Messenger:
Whispers will be taken out of the main chat window and put into their own, tab organized, chat window. This will make it much easier to keep track of who you are having a whisper conversation with. This messenger will also include themes, to an extent. You will be able to change window color and incoming/outgoing text colors.

Jaguar-Type Chat Triggers:
For those of you who used Jaguar, you know what these include. I'm not going to go into much detail explaining these right now but they are basically a short cut for describing things about your character, target, party members, etc. These include things like <hp> and <mp> which, when sent to chat, will be replaced with your current HP and MP.

Buddy List:
Your friends list will be turned into a AIM/MSN style buddy list, complete with groups and everything. The friends list tab on the community page will be hiding and all friend list functions will be taken over by the BitCom buddy list. This buddy list will also be built as a plugin for Titan, FuBar and InfoBar.

Mail Functions:
This will be a simple Plugin that will expand on the basic WoW mail functions. It will start as a way to mass-mail items to a single person and as a way to send on message to a group of people (A list of people you enter, your guild, your friends list, etc). Sent mail will be kept so you can quickly recall any mail you may have sent. I might, at a later point in time, expand upon the mail functions but I have no plans for that right now.

Various "Common" Features:
Besides everything above, there will also be various other "Common" features added in an effort to put most features already seen into one centralized mod that was coded to work together. These features include: TimeStamps, Mouse Scrolling, Class Highlighting, and others.

Last edited by JadenX : 02-14-07 at 10:12 AM.
02-13-07, 11:56 PM   #2
Archos
A Theradrim Guardian

That seems like a great idea. But the MSN thing has been done, I use WIM for that. Also, Prat does the coloring and such for text. But I will be happy to test and help with development if you need it.

-Chris Kader
[email protected]
"What we do in life, Echoes in Eternity." - MDM, Gladiator

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » Bitcom (NextGen) - PreBeta Concept