03-22-15, 04:54 PM   #21
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
I discovered your issues. Your running WoW via Wine. So here's a couple answers from my experience using wine on archlinux.

{.....}

Opera's support for Linux is.... just plain bad. Chrome runs fine if your against using chrome use chromium its open source sister. Altrernateively curse.com load fine in firefox, iceweasel, qupzilla, and vivaldi

Or run curse from elinks. Yes it works.

Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
Also yeah I woyuldn't expect curse.com to work on elinks, maybe the sisters sites of wowace and curseforge, but not curse itself.
..... Um... I downloaded it and tried to run curse cause you said it worked. Right there ^^^^^

03-22-15, 11:40 PM   #22
10leej
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Barleduq View Post
..... Um... I downloaded it and tried to run curse cause you said it worked. Right there ^^^^^

Well shoot I did say that..... I'm all confused as of late. I apologise.
03-23-15, 05:04 PM   #23
MoonWitch
A Firelord
I apologize for barging in here, I hope I can say it a bit eloquently. But based on what you've said you have hardware-wise, I doubt an add-on would offer any improvement on your WoW experience. (Or removing an add-on). Of course it doesn't help you're running fairly large addons - it does add some to your load times, but your hardware is the issue. It's a bit on the low side; and I fear the only proper noticeable improvement for you would be an upgrade most likely.

What you could do, if you're unfamiliar with hardware is run this command in the Terminal.
Code:
sudo lshw -short >> hwinfo.txt
You can post the contents of that txt file here, it should be in your home directory. We might be able to help a little more directed.
06-21-15, 09:09 AM   #24
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
I apologize for barging in here, I hope I can say it a bit eloquently. But based on what you've said you have hardware-wise, I doubt an add-on would offer any improvement on your WoW experience. (Or removing an add-on). Of course it doesn't help you're running fairly large addons - it does add some to your load times, but your hardware is the issue. It's a bit on the low side; and I fear the only proper noticeable improvement for you would be an upgrade most likely.

What you could do, if you're unfamiliar with hardware is run this command in the Terminal.
Code:
sudo lshw -short >> hwinfo.txt
You can post the contents of that txt file here, it should be in your home directory. We might be able to help a little more directed.
OP here, and yes I'm reviving this a bit because it's relevant.

A) I can't find that command anywhere. I'm probably doing something wrong, but it's not on my machine as far as I can tell, and putting it into the Yum GUI interface doesn't find it.

b) Phanx very kindly sent me a video card that's much better than the one I had. Unfortunately, while it's slightly improved my running FPS, it hasn't done anything (as far as I can tell) to reduce the amount of time I freeze as I switch zones.

c) We swapped to FiOS (for various reasons), and at the same time I got a slightly faster router between my machine and our house net. This hasn't produced any changes either.

With Cladhaire bowing out of addon coding, is it worth swapping to some other location addon? *is* there another like TomTom? I've not noticed anything talking about changing what they integrate with...

Thanks for trying.
06-21-15, 11:01 AM   #25
jeruku
A Cobalt Mageweaver

In regards to switching zones. (How is it I missed this post only 3 months ago?)

You are running a few too many bag monitoring addons which can hang the system if done incorrectly. BAG_UPDATE is fired for every slot in every bag on ZONE_CHANGED_NEW_AREA. With bag monitoring addons they tend to scan a bag on BAG_UPDATE, which means on ZCNA it does a loop 5 * (16^2) = 1280 times. Now multiply the number of monitoring addons you have by 1280. And that is only with 16 slot bags.

Altoholic, Armory, and TrackOMatic to name the big contenders. 3 * 1280 = 3840
I recommend dropping TrackOMatic and one of the others to see where your performance is. Disabling other addons that may scan the bags should also help improve speeds.

BAG_UPDATE_DELAYED with a simple bag scan works much nicer.
06-21-15, 02:48 PM   #26
AnrDaemon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by jeruku View Post
Altoholic, Armory, and TrackOMatic to name the big contenders. 3 * 1280 = 3840
I recommend dropping TrackOMatic and one of the others to see where your performance is.
I second that emotion.
Track-O-Matic seems to do the same what Altoholic do.
Overall, I'd suggest going over the list of addons and carefully evaluate the addon usefulness against the load it potentially cause and the functionality it provide that is available in other installed addons or readily available in default UI.
I've been in the same situation as OP just about a year ago, with aging P4 and subpar GT220 gfx on hand.

@Phax, I appreciate your opinion about Atrolabe, but is there any library that can replace it? Without "if"s and "but"s.
06-21-15, 06:02 PM   #27
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by AnrDaemon View Post
@Phanx, I appreciate your opinion about Atrolabe, but is there any library that can replace it? Without "if"s and "but"s.
I started LibMapPins-1.0 for this very reason, but left it for other real life concerns. Unfortunately, that means "ifs" and "buts". It is Open Source, and my intent was for anyone to contribute.

Sadly, I have left Warcraft, but would be happy to have the community continue the work.
06-22-15, 05:10 PM   #28
AnrDaemon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Astrolabe is as opensource as it gets. I don't understand your argumentation.
06-24-15, 10:57 AM   #29
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
BAG_UPDATE is fired for every slot in every bag on ZONE_CHANGED_NEW_AREA. With bag monitoring addons they tend to scan a bag on BAG_UPDATE, which means on ZCNA it does a loop 5 * (16^2) = 1280 times.
!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure if that's blizz being whacked or the addons. wtffff? What's the point of firing on every slot? Never mind, I'm not a coder for a reason.

I recommend dropping TrackOMatic and one of the others to see where your performance is. Disabling other addons that may scan the bags should also help improve speeds.
I've been contemplating dropping armory. I like it's interface, but it's mostly duplicating altoholic. I installed it when it looked like altoholic might have been abandoned.

I'll double check track o matic, I don't think I have it set to monitor anything in my bags. Mostly using it as a one click way to check rep and gold.

-Bar
06-24-15, 07:48 PM   #30
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Followup to my last message

So I removed Armory.

I haven't done much moving around yet in the world post-6.2. Just moving around in my L3 garrison, tho, I have small freezes, I *think* at the boundaries of the smaller garrison. If I had those before, I didn't notice. I don't suppose anyone else is noticing anything like this?

*sigh*
-Bar
stupid zones.

ETA: After logging and relogging alts around, and flying to Nagrand, Nagrand to Gorgrond, Gorgrond to Lunarfall (no, i don't know why I didn't hearth... o.O ) and now Lunarfall to Gorgrond, what were 10-60 second freezes are now merely stutters. I can still see the effects, but I can blink and miss it rather than going into the next room to grab a drink and coming back before it resumes. Hopefully I won't have to lose anything I actually rely on...

Last edited by Barleduq : 06-25-15 at 12:21 AM. Reason: More Info
06-25-15, 02:16 AM   #31
AnrDaemon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Thanks for keeping us informed.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » I have over 60 addos - is it worth combining them?