09-22-09, 11:52 PM   #1
Turestel
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Tooltips Won't Stay Where They Belong

I've used the /nui movers to move the tooltips to a different part of my screen. I've also used /nui tooltips fixed to make certain that all tooltips will display in that position. This works fine until I logoff.

Once I log back on, the tooltips show up in the upper left-hand corner of the screen... definitely not where I placed them with /nui movers. Once I re-enable the movers and then disable them, the tooltips will then continue to show up in the proper position (where I had placed them in a previous session), until I logoff again.

In other words, I have to repeat this enabling/disabling procedure everytime I logon. Is there something I can do about this?

Thanks,
Tur

09-23-09, 04:26 AM   #2
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Do you have any other tooltip mods installed?

If you change the settings of other features of nUI (like use '/nui roundmap' to change the minimap shape) and log out of WoW, then back in, do those settings also reset?

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

09-23-09, 07:52 AM   #3
Turestel
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Do you have any other tooltip mods installed?

If you change the settings of other features of nUI (like use '/nui roundmap' to change the minimap shape) and log out of WoW, then back in, do those settings also reset?
I have no other tooltip mods installed unless some other mod does something to tooltips of which I am unaware.

In fact, one of the first things I did was change the shape of the minimap to round. That setting (as well as others) is retained between sessions. The only one that doesn't stay put is the tooltip position.

I'm going to disable all other addons and see what happens. If the tooltip works properly, then I'll re-enable each addon one at a time and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Tur

09-23-09, 09:28 AM   #4
Turestel
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

OK... so I backed up my addons folder and my wtf folder and started from scratch with nothing bu nUI installed. I still had the same problem. I found something interesting though. If I move the tooltips to the right side of my screen, they act as they should and stay put between sessions. It is only if I have them situated on the left side of my screen that the position does not get retained. I've attached two screenshots to show what is happening.

Tur
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_092309_111506.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	3435  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_092309_111538.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	3436  

11-09-09, 02:08 AM   #5
Angery
A Fallenroot Satyr
Ever find a fix for this? Or a solution?

I have this same exact issue as well. In a raid atm, but can post more info if needed..

11-09-09, 05:28 AM   #6
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I'm not sure that it's technically broken, to be honest. It has to do with how Bliz's tooltips treat their anchor. If you can post some more info / screen shots, it would help me look into it.

Also, have you don't a clean install and tried it with nUI being the *only* mod that's enabled?

11-09-09, 04:28 PM   #7
Angery
A Fallenroot Satyr
Ok, made some time to play with this some today.. and here are my findings.

I play on a Vista 64 Machine. And I run at 1360x768.

I made sure to delete my WTF folder and run nUI and only nUI.

When I first log in, the tool tip windows is always to the upper top left(screenshot1).

All I have todo to fix it, is type the /nUI movers command, hit enter, and then I will instantly see screenshot number 2, and as you can see the red box is already where I would like it, so I just type the /nUI movers command 1 more time and it is good to go for that session.

Now here is where it gets odd. It happens 100% of the time on a fresh log in. But when I first got in today, I moved it to where I wanted it.. then I could log out to the character select screen and log back in. And it would still be there.

In an effort to get it to "stick" I played around with moving the red box just a tad bit, and switching duel specs around and doing the same. At one point, it started to reset just by loggin out to char select and back in again. Which is abnormal because normally it only does it when I fully leave the game.

Played with it a bit more, and now it is back to how it was. On a logout, char select back in. It is there where it should be again, but upon fully leaving wow it resets again to the upper right hand corner.

I can confirm that original poster is correct, if I move it anywhere to the right side of my screen, it stays put, right where I left it. I mean, the red boxes visable with /nui movers command always stay put. It's just the tooltip itself that normally likes to revert back to the corner. So odd to type the command and have the red boxes where I put them, change nothing, and have the tooltip remember where I want it to be after doing so. Only seems to happen on the left side of the screen, and never up/down.. always just slammed to the left, even if just mid screen.

Tested this on an alt, same thing. Did other changes per your suggestion, IE minimap round, and that setting saves just fine. Although I did notice in Vista 64 no matter how many times I uncheck the read only option on the WTF folder it always reverts back to read only again. o.0

I am open to trying anything you would like me to try, just let me know and consider it done.. For now I am making a /nUI movers macro I can tap a couple times upon loggin. heh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_110909_133610.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	3536  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_110909_133622.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	3537  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_110909_133636.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	3538  

Last edited by Angery : 11-09-09 at 04:30 PM.

11-09-09, 05:24 PM   #8
spiel2001
nUI's Author

This sounds to me like WoW does not have permission to write to your saved variables file. Make sure WoW has write permission in [ World of Warcraft > WTF ] and all of its sub-directories. This is most common on Windows Vista machines and Windows 7 machines, but can occur on any machine.

11-10-09, 06:14 PM   #9
Angery
A Fallenroot Satyr
Well, I have tried every trick in the book to get the read only box to remain unchecked. But it insists on remaining checked, no matter how many times I uncheck it.

I have to be honest though, I don't think this is it, as I had mentioned I can get it to stay in place anywhere on the right side of the moniter with no problems. But anywhere on the left and it insists on being as far left as possible.

Checked this out on my wifes computer and it does the same exact thing. All others settings save fine, besides this one semi annoying tooltip issue.

I will play around with it some more hopefully this next weekend and report back my findings. See if I can find a way to make it happy, and from there it might point out what our issue is.

Would really like to hear from the original poster, and see if he found something on his end. =)

11-10-09, 06:20 PM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Hmm, I never had problems myself moving the tooltip on the left hand side of the screen. Not that I saw anyway as I rarely moved it.

However, that said, I was wondering is it possible that you are playing WoW in the Program Files folder where it was originally installed by default before they changed the installation to change it to Users/Public/Games on Vista or Windows 7 machines ? By default programs do not have write access to the Program Files folders even Microsoft own Internet Explorer is not allowed to save files in certain folders and insists on saving to the Users folder for security in Windows 7. Annoys the hell outta me as I have all my files on a separate drive to allow reinstalls to be as painless as possible.

11-12-09, 02:14 PM   #11
Turestel
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Angery View Post
Would really like to hear from the original poster, and see if he found something on his end. =)
Well, as the original poster, I can say I never found a solution and I have also tried everything I could possibly think of. Eventually, I just gave up and set the tooltips to default.

To Xrystal: It doesn't seem to be a matter of file permissions and having the game installed in c:\Program Files. I have it installed in \users\public\games (so forth and so on) and all the files and folders have the proper write permissions.

I simply have no further ideas.

Tur

11-12-09, 03:20 PM   #12
spiel2001
nUI's Author

This occurs with *no* mods except the core nUI enabled?

*Something* has to be repositioning the tooltips. I just can't figure out what.

11-13-09, 02:08 AM   #13
Turestel
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
This occurs with *no* mods except the core nUI enabled?

*Something* has to be repositioning the tooltips. I just can't figure out what.
I have tried removing everything and then doing a fresh install of nUI and ONLY nUI. Unfortunately, the problem persists even under those circumstances. The weirdest thing is that it only happens when the tooltips frame is on the left side of the screen. If it is on the right side, everything works the way it should. The tooltips stay put. On the left side however, they get repositioned.

Tur

11-13-09, 07:36 AM   #14
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I am completely and utterly miffed. My own tooltips are on the left side and have never been a problem. I'll play around with it and see if I can reproduce what you're seeing, but I have to say I honestly have *no* clue what could be going on here.

11-13-09, 09:08 AM   #15
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
When you reinstalled nUI was it a clean install with the WTF files for nUI renamed or deleted ? Perhaps the files have somehow got a quantity or two corrupted.

11-13-09, 05:11 PM   #16
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Turestel this is a vista install right? When you installed wow originally was it in another directory (prior to wotlk expansion it should of defaulted to C:/programs) if so look around for any remains from the old install. I had the same issue with add ons not saving their settings and that turned out to be the cause. Also might wanna try running wow as an admin just for the hell of it. Hope you work out your issue

11-14-09, 11:26 AM   #17
Turestel
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
When you reinstalled nUI was it a clean install with the WTF files for nUI renamed or deleted ? Perhaps the files have somehow got a quantity or two corrupted.
Xrystal: It was a clean install. I deleted all nUI files in WTF and its sub-folders before installing it.

Originally Posted by neuralassassin View Post
Turestel this is a vista install right? When you installed wow originally was it in another directory (prior to wotlk expansion it should of defaulted to C:/programs) if so look around for any remains from the old install. I had the same issue with add ons not saving their settings and that turned out to be the cause. Also might wanna try running wow as an admin just for the hell of it. Hope you work out your issue
Neuralassassin: After WotLK was installed, I removed all the old stuff that was left over in the C:\program files path.

I appreciate all the ideas. Keep 'em coming!

Tur

12-08-09, 01:49 PM   #18
Angery
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thought I would report back finally.

I gave up, and just moved it to the upper right hand side of my screen. And it has not moved an inch since. heh

Only issue I have now is when I am in a group/raid that is set to group loot. I am unable to hover over the icon in the need/greed box. I can get it to show for a split second if I catch the corner just right. But normally what I do is lean into the corpse and just view the items from there.

Sorta makes me wonder if this is leaning towards a resolution issue or something.. I dunno.

12-09-09, 12:36 AM   #19
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Angery View Post
Only issue I have now is when I am in a group/raid that is set to group loot. I am unable to hover over the icon in the need/greed box. I can get it to show for a split second if I catch the corner just right. But normally what I do is lean into the corpse and just view the items from there.
I have the same problem. What I've been doing is just saying "to Hell with it" and clicking "greed".

I'm not running any other tooltip mods.

12-10-09, 10:28 AM   #20
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
I have the same problem. What I've been doing is just saying "to Hell with it" and clicking "greed".

I'm not running any other tooltip mods.
I have to actually turn my back to the corpse, and then I can hover my mouse over the item without it flickering in and out of view.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » Tooltips Won't Stay Where They Belong