Quantcast
Carbonite via WowMatrix? - WoWInterface
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
04-21-09, 03:10 PM   #1
aggiescott
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Smile Carbonite via WowMatrix?

WowMatrix is a really great tool that allows users to conveniently update their addons. It's my understanding that this is the best updater available. However it looks like there's some spat going on between the hosting sites for both curse and wowinterface with the folks at wowmatrixs. Because of this feud wowmatrix needs your permission to continue providing the addon.

I would appreciate it if you could provide the required permission. It's a really great tool.

Thanks,
Scott
 
04-21-09, 03:13 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,112
Given that our blocking of WowMatrix was one of the major points the folks at Carbonite wanted to make sure we were going to be able to do when they decided to come to us for hosting, I somehow doubt they'll agree to this.
__________________
“Do what you feel in your heart to be right — for you’ll be criticized anyway.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
 
04-21-09, 03:38 PM   #3
aggiescott
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
That would be unfortunate.
 
04-21-09, 05:00 PM   #4
Aezay
A Theradrim Guardian
 
Aezay's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 66
You might want to read this thread
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22069
 
04-21-09, 05:25 PM   #5
aggiescott
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Thank you, I've read that. However it looks like, from an outside observer, that the problem is really just petty antics from the curse and wowui admins. WowMatrix appears to have addressed all the problems outlined in that post (author credit, bandwith, donations, etc...). Perhaps if the hosting admins would have approached the problem in a more mature manner things would have worked out better. All that is sort of irrelevant at this point.... things have happened the way they have.

It all comes down to this, I've tried out carbonite for the last two weeks and it's a really good addon. In fact, its so good that I would like to donate to the project to support continued development. However, if it doesn't work with wowmatrix then there's not much of a reason to start supporting it, is there?

Scott--
 
04-21-09, 06:13 PM   #6
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!
 
Maul's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 401
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Given that our blocking of WowMatrix was one of the major points the folks at Carbonite wanted to make sure we were going to be able to do when they decided to come to us for hosting, I somehow doubt they'll agree to this.
You might want to re-read Cairenn's post I am not going to try and pretend to speak for the Carbonite authors, but their motivations to avoid WoWMatrix has nothing to do with what the addon sites did. The Carbonite authors themselves want to avoid WoWMatrix, and if you like their addon enough to call it a really good addon, perhaps you can take their and this addon site's word that there is more to WoWMatrix than you realize, hmm?
__________________

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
 
04-21-09, 06:40 PM   #7
aggiescott
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Maul View Post
You might want to re-read Cairenn's post I am not going to try and pretend to speak for the Carbonite authors, but their motivations to avoid WoWMatrix has nothing to do with what the addon sites did. The Carbonite authors themselves want to avoid WoWMatrix, ....
Yes, that begs the questions, what are the reasons the carbonite authors want to avoid wowmatrix? That's the reason for this thread, so that the authors can spell out what they are trying to avoid. The current situation is, wowmatrix still works and continues to update almost all my addons. For the others that it doesn't work with yet, it is prompting me to contact the authors for their permission - hence what I am doing.

What other options are there for users? From posts on other sites no one thinks that the curse and wowui updaters are anywhere close to as good as WowMatrix. Plus, it's my understanding that they won't update all your addons just those available at particular sites. At the end of the day I'm not going to manually update addons after getting use to wowmatrix.... it's a step backwards.

Originally Posted by Maul View Post
...perhaps you can take their and this addon site's word that there is more to WoWMatrix than you realize, hmm?
Perhaps I am being used as a tool by wowmatrix in an evil plot..... What more is there that I don't realize?

Scott--
 
04-21-09, 08:36 PM   #8
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
 
Unbelievable's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by aggiescott View Post
What other options are there for users?
You could just download Carbonite from WowInterface manually. It's not exactly a chore to manually download one mod. It's not like your being asked to jump through Firey Hoops Of Death (tm).

Originally Posted by aggiescott View Post
However it looks like, from an outside observer, that the problem is really just petty antics from the curse and wowui admins.
(My emphasis)

That's surely the point.

It's not your work that's been illicitly altered and redistributed in the past. And it's certainly not your pocket thats being picked everytime you download with WowMatrix.

Just because it's convenient doesn't make it right.

Last edited by Unbelievable : 04-21-09 at 08:41 PM.
 
04-21-09, 09:16 PM   #9
datafarmer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
 
datafarmer's Avatar
Premium Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16
Its like this, Wowinterface and Curse have to pay for their servers,internet connection, and any data that is sent from their sites. In order to pay for this they either have to charge users like you and me or they have to show ad's. For a small site its not much money but these sites are anything but small. When you download from somthing like Wowmatrix you look at ad's that Wowmatrix gets money for but the data still comes from Curse and Wowinterface. That means that every time you download something with Wowmatrix it is costing these guys money and gives Wowmatrix that money instead.

In addition, Carbonite, which this thread is supposed to be about, wants you to come here directly and look at the download page so they can at least remind you that this thing costs a lot of time to keep working and to improve, and to ask you to consider donating if you think it's worth it.

All in all its not that much trouble to install by hand. I rather like the idea of auto installs too but I will happly install by hand if it means there is a better chance these sites can stick around to keep my addon jones to a managable level.
 
04-21-09, 09:21 PM   #10
Marillion Bloodbane
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
I myself was a WoW matrix user in the recent past and have only recently switched to using the Curse updater. I know the people that make the WoWUI updater are working on a new updater so we'll have to see how that turns out. After having used the Curse updater recently I can say that it does seem to work with most mods and there are different ways of making it work if you look at the tutorial they have for it (the one designed for people switching from WoW Matrix). I say give it a try, its pretty decent.
__________________
 
04-21-09, 09:43 PM   #11
Spectral2k
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by aggiescott View Post
Yes, that begs the questions, what are the reasons the carbonite authors want to avoid wowmatrix? That's the reason for this thread, so that the authors can spell out what they are trying to avoid. The current situation is, wowmatrix still works and continues to update almost all my addons. For the others that it doesn't work with yet, it is prompting me to contact the authors for their permission - hence what I am doing.

What other options are there for users? From posts on other sites no one thinks that the curse and wowui updaters are anywhere close to as good as WowMatrix. Plus, it's my understanding that they won't update all your addons just those available at particular sites. At the end of the day I'm not going to manually update addons after getting use to wowmatrix.... it's a step backwards.



Perhaps I am being used as a tool by wowmatrix in an evil plot..... What more is there that I don't realize?

Scott--


The only reason they've done something about any problems is because action my wowinterface and curse has forced them too. If they could get away with it they'd still be scamming away, leeching off everyone elses work. Why would the carbonite team or anyone for that matter co-operate with a group who has blantantly been ripping people off? They've proved themselves untrustworthy and will have to live with the consequences. If you don't like it then tough, you're not the one that had been paying the bandwidth cost from their stolen links. If them not adding carbonite to some thiefs app means you dont use it then your loss. You're missing out on a great add-on simply because you refuse to manually update one add-on that can be updated in about 10 seconds.

Last edited by Spectral2k : 04-21-09 at 09:49 PM.
 
04-21-09, 10:01 PM   #12
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,112
Dial it back folks. No flaming, no personal attacks, remember? The questions asked were legitimate questions, the person(s) didn't know. I've no objection to someone that really doesn't know and is just trying to understand what is going on.
__________________
“Do what you feel in your heart to be right — for you’ll be criticized anyway.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
 
04-21-09, 11:12 PM   #13
Nuckin
is laughing at you
 
Nuckin's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Dial it back folks. No flaming, no personal attacks, remember? The questions asked were legitimate questions, the person(s) didn't know. I've no objection to someone that really doesn't know and is just trying to understand what is going on.
/me puts away his giant flame thrower and slowly backs up
__________________
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
0 rows returned.
 
04-21-09, 11:14 PM   #14
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
 
Unbelievable's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by Nuckin View Post
/me puts away his giant flame thrower and slowly backs up
Phasers on stun!
 
04-22-09, 05:39 AM   #15
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
carboniteaddon's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,245
It came down to a simple decision. Host Carbonite downloads on Wowinterface where they pay for their own download bandwidth from their own servers using their own ad revenue or support Wowmatrix by continuing to give them permission to download Carbonite from whatever sources they can leech it from. We decided leeching was not what we wanted to support.

A website owner has the right to restrict access to those it chooses to, in what manner it wants. It is their site and their bandwith.

Wowmatrix may continue to exist by hosting addon files themselves or finding other places to leech it from, but in the end I think Wowinterface and Curse will have good updaters going and Wowmatrix will either become pointless or have to put in big ads to pay for the hosting costs, setup forums and become just like a standard addon website.
__________________
faatal
 
05-04-09, 05:31 AM   #16
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!
 
voodoodad's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,632
Proto, this has been gone over for 1500 and someodd posts in another thread. Your arguments are out of place and somewhat out of bounds here. If you really need to rehash the arguments that your "side" has been losing consistantly, please do it in the thread intended for that purpose.
__________________

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
 
05-04-09, 06:22 AM   #17
florinpatan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
Has any of you guys tried and run a antivirus like Kaspersky or Norton while runing WoWMatrix?

If so can you tell me what the heck is going on with all those registry changes and calls to operating system files?

All of these can be stopped and WoWMatrix continues to run well but the thing is that any add-on updater program that makes unwanted calls to operating system files and registry does more that just getting a file of a website and unziping it to the right folder.

Don't tell me that it's fine by you because you run Linux or Mac and you don't care because you might have no idea on what WoWMatrix does to your system, on Windows at least I see it trying and changing registry entries about ads, blocked sites etc. and getting stopped by my antivirus.

I've just tried WoWMatrix once, and when I've saw what it does I've gone to the old method of downloading add-ons from WoWI and Curse by myself.

I'm currently waiting for WoWI updater as Curse doesn't have all the add-ons that I have installed.
 
05-04-09, 07:04 AM   #18
protolif
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Exclamation

Kaspersky and Norton are terrible with resources. I wouldn't use them even if I ran Windows. I took the other comment into consideration and posted in the appropriate thread.
 
05-04-09, 12:32 PM   #19
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 231
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Dial it back folks. No flaming, no personal attacks, remember? The questions asked were legitimate questions, the person(s) didn't know. I've no objection to someone that really doesn't know and is just trying to understand what is going on.
Didn't this thread used to be locked? Or is that your standard answer? I remember thing, that I wanted to flame and personally attack when this was asked yet again.

Or is this a new thread about this topic?
 
05-04-09, 01:30 PM   #20
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
 
Spectro's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 142
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
I've no objection to someone that really doesn't know and is just trying to understand what is going on.
I disagree. I think it's pure ignorance. :/
__________________
multiplayermaniacs.com
 
 

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite via WowMatrix?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off