06-10-11, 10:03 AM   #1
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Addon browsing criteria

I dig Wowinterface and I know many others do too, the only problem is if you are out to find some addon by categories but are unable to filter by specific criteria, perhaps adding filter options when browsing would make this a more user friendly experience, what do you thing?

If the developers have time it would be lovely to see something like this:

(AddOn and Author can be a "contains" check not "exact match".)

The idea is letting the users be able to find addons with some of their criteria, may it be download count, last patch updated, a time range since last update, e.g.
06-10-11, 10:49 AM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't think last updated would be very useful. There are some addons that work just fine that don't need updating other than the toc file... plus the user can adjust the column view to show last updated first (along with downloads and size).
06-10-11, 11:00 AM   #3
Vlad
A Molten Giant

I agree that "updated patch" would do more than enough to help find 4.X compatible addons.

The idea was if you like to find something working with 4.X it's not easy enough just sorting, I know you can search for 4.1 working addons but then you are forced to enter some part of the addon name -so not suited if you are looking for something unknown -if that makes sense.

Browsing is like when you are in the store, you go to the "action bar" section then look trough what they got -only that in this store you got fifty thousand different action bar addon packages ranging from old to latest, so you have no choice but go trough it all.

Last edited by Vlad : 06-10-11 at 11:12 AM.
06-10-11, 12:00 PM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Very true.

Besides, it never hurts to offer more options.
06-10-11, 08:16 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Hmm... I've only needed to update one of my addons since 4.1. I must be getting lazy because that's the only one flagged for 4.1 through the site. Petrah's first comment still stands.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-19-11, 02:14 AM   #6
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
I dig Wowinterface and I know many others do too, the only problem is if you are out to find some addon by categories but are unable to filter by specific criteria, perhaps adding filter options when browsing would make this a more user friendly experience, what do you thing?
The idea is letting the users be able to find addons with some of their criteria, may it be download count, last patch updated, a time range since last update, e.g.
I would find this useful.

If addons were tagged via patch, it would be a lot easier for me, as a developer, to search for addons that are not updated to the current patch.

The best way, in my opinion, is not to have another input for the developer to fuss with: do a grep search or likewise on the .toc for the interface number. And this would also take away the need for manual toggle if it works with latest patch; it would give no false positives, either.

Now for the main problem.. How long would it take to write such a script to search the .toc file and run this function? I am not skilled enough in grep and website code to do such, so I dunno if this is a quick job, or a monster task.

Author of Daily Bean Counter, MyNameTogglesWhenIAFKorDND, Extended Shutdown Warning, Auto Mail Director, Duel Nullify, Spec Transmiter, Say Again, Window Teller, Who Crafts, Ad Repeater, Privy Cork, Mac Backup, and more.
07-19-11, 08:36 AM   #7
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Mike-N-Go View Post
The best way, in my opinion, is not to have another input for the developer to fuss with: do a grep search or likewise on the .toc for the interface number. And this would also take away the need for manual toggle if it works with latest patch; it would give no false positives, either.

Now for the main problem.. How long would it take to write such a script to search the .toc file and run this function? I am not skilled enough in grep and website code to do such, so I dunno if this is a quick job, or a monster task.
afaik Notepad++, Notepad2, or any other similar Text Editor/IDE which supports grep can do this

Problem is that it would do it for all addons in the folder, not just the ones you're authoring, so this might not be ideal

There also might be a solution that involves stuff with repository tagging or something, but I'm a noob on that part

-- Edit:
Oh lol you ppl were talking about the website .toc stuff? (><)

Last edited by Ketho : 07-19-11 at 08:51 AM.
07-19-11, 08:42 AM   #8
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Sorry doing a grep on the toc wouldnt help much, the majority of the addons still work after patches and that way the author can just enable the flag and say... yes this still works.

Most of what is in the op suggested picture can be done with sorting and advanced searching.
07-19-11, 02:18 PM   #9
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

I was referring to a WoWInterface server-side script.

Author of Daily Bean Counter, MyNameTogglesWhenIAFKorDND, Extended Shutdown Warning, Auto Mail Director, Duel Nullify, Spec Transmiter, Say Again, Window Teller, Who Crafts, Ad Repeater, Privy Cork, Mac Backup, and more.
07-19-11, 02:20 PM   #10
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Go View Post
I was referring to a WoWInterface server-side script.
I understand, however I'm saying it wouldn't be very useful since many authors dont update their toc if there is no code changes however they still want to display it works with the latest patch.

Thank you for your suggestions

Last edited by Dolby : 07-19-11 at 02:25 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Addon browsing criteria