08-07-09, 04:54 AM   #1
Wipeowt
A Murloc Raider
DreamScape GUI v3.2.002

I have been pondering for some time if I should upload the GUI I have carefully crafted over and thoroughly maintained over the past year.

To date a few people do use it, but I wasn't sure how the masses would accept it as a solution to a slight gap in the current offerings of GUI's out there.

The main reason for creating this GUI was essentially my playstyle. I once upon a time I discovered an amazing addon called trinity bars, and thats when I discovered I could move the bulk of my buttons over to the semi-redundant keyboards keypad! I typically play most from the keypad these days using the ultimately flexible Macaroon and find it a much swifter interface method for me. It may not be for everyone, but I do prefer it. I tend not to click actual buttons, therefore huge buttons were a waste of screen space for me, and screen space I thought could be best used providing me extra information. Be warned though, I'm an info junkie, if you like simple and bland and you can't imagine playing with the keypad, then this GUI may well not be for you!

Since then, I set about designing a GUI that incorporated a physical keypad and mouse button layout as well as the normal number keys. I also required reasonable chat frames to show combat info as well as usual chat info. Quick, and easy access to the likes of threat meters, as well as damage meters was creeping up the list of requirements too.

Anyway, before I make any commitments, I'd like some feed back please. I have posted some screens below, they are from a while ago, but the interface hasn't changed and is still providing me with all the functionality I need.

Thankyou for your time.

Screenshot #1

Screenshot #2

Screenshot #3

Last edited by Wipeowt : 08-07-09 at 05:07 AM.
08-07-09, 05:31 AM   #2
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Wipeowt View Post
I have been pondering for some time if I should upload the GUI I have carefully crafted over and thoroughly maintained over the past year.

To date a few people do use it, but I wasn't sure how the masses would accept it as a solution to a slight gap in the current offerings of GUI's out there.

The main reason for creating this GUI was essentially my playstyle. I once upon a time I discovered an amazing addon called trinity bars, and thats when I discovered I could move the bulk of my buttons over to the semi-redundant keyboards keypad! I typically play most from the keypad these days using the ultimately flexible Macaroon and find it a much swifter interface method for me. It may not be for everyone, but I do prefer it. I tend not to click actual buttons, therefore huge buttons were a waste of screen space for me, and screen space I thought could be best used providing me extra information. Be warned though, I'm an info junkie, if you like simple and bland and you can't imagine playing with the keypad, then this GUI may well not be for you!

Since then, I set about designing a GUI that incorporated a physical keypad and mouse button layout as well as the normal number keys. I also required reasonable chat frames to show combat info as well as usual chat info. Quick, and easy access to the likes of threat meters, as well as damage meters was creeping up the list of requirements too.

Anyway, before I make any commitments, I'd like some feed back please. I have posted some screens below, they are from a while ago, but the interface hasn't changed and is still providing me with all the functionality I need.

Thankyou for your time.

Screenshot #1

Screenshot #2

Screenshot #3

Very attractive and clean.. good work!
08-07-09, 05:40 AM   #3
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Since you're looking for feedback: I honestly don't really like it. Being an information junkie doesn't mean that you should settle for a screen real estate eating monster. Lots of information can be displayed in a somewhat minimalistic style too, and XPerl alone is certainly not a good choice for doing so.

As demonstrated by Tweeker, there are surely people who do like this UI. I find it's not much different to the result of most people grabbing a couple of addons and configuring them a little bit. Don't let me put you off releasing it, though .
08-07-09, 04:07 PM   #4
Wipeowt
A Murloc Raider
oUF, XPerl or Pitbull fanboy, doesn't really matter, you can integrate any into this layout. I'm not sure how many GUI authors have actually written all the addon functionality themselves, I got the feeling that 99% of GUI authors did simply configure those already available incredible and awesome addons that people have very generously wrote already to a way in which other users may like those configurations. I don't claim this to be anything other, if that is what you were inferring here.

I aimed for a clean sweep band on info/functionality along the bottom (as you correctly state, many other have done also - I dont believe you can do it many other ways) but the functionality I was interested in capturing if there was any requirement for, was the keypad integration (as stated in my original post).

Personally I don't find any demeaning remarks about XPerl helpful, I like many other find it very useful and able to provide functionality others can't, but yes I do agree there are other mods that do provide things XPerl can't. This thread wasn't meant for that kind of critisism, simply ideas on the functionality that an interface such as this may provide.
08-09-09, 03:54 AM   #5
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Anyway, before I make any commitments, I'd like some feed back please.
Strangely enough, this made me think you were looking for some feedback, so I gave you some. Had no intention of offending you, but as you've now made clear, you're not after "that kind of criticism" -- whatever that kind may be. With that, I'll take my leave from the thread. Good luck with your UI.
08-10-09, 07:18 AM   #6
jadakren
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Personally I don't find any demeaning remarks about XPerl helpful.
To be brutally honest....xperl is pretty fail in the realms of customisation.

But then again, I don't expect many WoW players to look past marketing hype.
08-10-09, 08:47 AM   #7
Archer50
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
While other unitframes, such as pitbull, are ALOT more customizable than Xperl is, I personally use Xperl because it does what I need it to, and I don't really need anything fancier, as all I display is my own, my target, and my targets target frames.
08-10-09, 10:09 AM   #8
aceman67
A Theradrim Guardian

I'm sure Veniche doesn't mind you using the OnslaughtUI art work... You did ask right?

NEwho, nice work so far, but I suggest using a different unit frame like Pitbull4
08-11-09, 06:09 PM   #9
Wipeowt
A Murloc Raider
No I didn't use Onslaught, I made this from scratch in kgpanels, maybe before his I dunno as I have had this UI for quite some time now (maybe 2 years), but I did go and have a peek at his, and kudos to him! We have similar lines of thought it seems, however I did need the keypad functionality hence you can see the special keypad and mouse button section mirroring the minimap section. I also feel I have developed a greater feeling of 3D depth within the panels layout, but I must admit his UI does look very nice indeed!

I am currently looking into oUF and PitBull for further customisation, so thank you for all your comments on this. I did use XPerl for this originally as it simply did it all out the box. Although there are a few things I'd like to adjust, maybe PitBull will allow this.

Thank you again for your feedback.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » DreamScape GUI v3.2.002