03-08-10, 03:25 PM   #1
Politig
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Zoomable Map

Hello,

I was wondering if there was an addon that had a zoom-styled map like Carbonite's but without the Carbonite. I like the ability to see zones by panning one unified map over right clicking to zoom out. Does any such exist?

Thanks!
03-17-10, 01:09 AM   #2
Eymbak
A Murloc Raider
have you tried the new Cartopgrapher, the one that makes the world map act like google earth?
03-17-10, 01:52 AM   #3
aceman67
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Eymbak View Post
have you tried the new Cartopgrapher, the one that makes the world map act like google earth?
Its called "Carbonite". Cartographer has not been updated for 3.3, and has been abandoned by its author.

Last edited by aceman67 : 03-17-10 at 03:55 AM.
03-17-10, 03:25 AM   #4
Ne0nLiteZ
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
Its called "Carbonite". Cartographer has not been updated for 3.3, and has been abandoned by its author.
lol'd.
id also like to know, thats actually why i came to the site a minute ago, and then i saw this and im like holy crap

but yeah any ideas?
03-17-10, 03:53 AM   #5
aceman67
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Ne0nLiteZ View Post
lol'd.
id also like to know, thats actually why i came to the site a minute ago, and then i saw this and im like holy crap

but yeah any ideas?
Yeah, Carbonite. Only addon I know that does the "google maps" thing.

Not to mention its invaluable quest tracking, pvp detection, and resource gathering features.

Last edited by aceman67 : 03-17-10 at 03:56 AM.
03-17-10, 04:00 AM   #6
Ne0nLiteZ
An Aku'mai Servant
Yeah, Carbonite. Only addon I know that does the "google maps" thing.

Not to mention its invaluable quest tracking, pvp detection, and resource gathering features.
Yeah, i heard you already, and i already use that. but i only want a map thats zoomable. actually no i dont. what i really want is for some magical way for carbonite to support map rotating i always have to keep it open for quests so i have 2 full size maps on my screen and its pointless :\
03-17-10, 04:39 AM   #7
aceman67
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Ne0nLiteZ View Post
Yeah, i heard you already, and i already use that. but i only want a map thats zoomable. actually no i dont. what i really want is for some magical way for carbonite to support map rotating i always have to keep it open for quests so i have 2 full size maps on my screen and its pointless :\
You can merge the minimap with the carbonite map, so that might help.

and this is a personal preference, but having the map rotate annoys the hell out of me...

I only use a mini-Map, who's only use is to show tracking nodes, and the Carbonite Map that I keep open when I'm in PVP, Questing, or gathering ore. Considering that Carbonite's quest tracking feature is far superior to the pitiful attempt that Blizzard did with their map for the last patch, I have to say that you really don't need the Blizzard map if you're using Carbonite.

Having the map rotate depending on what direction you're going can actually disorient you and cause you to lose your way. I used to have the Minimap rotate when I was leveling my first character in Vanilla wow, and I totally got lost in Black Fathom Deeps.
03-17-10, 08:59 AM   #8
Ne0nLiteZ
An Aku'mai Servant
You can merge the minimap with the carbonite map, so that might help.

and this is a personal preference, but having the map rotate annoys the hell out of me...

I only use a mini-Map, who's only use is to show tracking nodes, and the Carbonite Map that I keep open when I'm in PVP, Questing, or gathering ore. Considering that Carbonite's quest tracking feature is far superior to the pitiful attempt that Blizzard did with their map for the last patch, I have to say that you really don't need the Blizzard map if you're using Carbonite.

Having the map rotate depending on what direction you're going can actually disorient you and cause you to lose your way. I used to have the Minimap rotate when I was leveling my first character in Vanilla wow, and I totally got lost in Black Fathom Deeps.
well thats because you dont prefer map rotation. when i DONT have it on, i have no sense of direction lol. but yeah, it sucks because EVERYTHING is for static map. like square minimap rames and everything. but yeah :\ and the minimap inside carbs map is too small but whatever :\
03-17-10, 05:29 PM   #9
aceman67
A Theradrim Guardian

You may be SOL.

Having the map rotate is also a personal preference, and a minority one at that seeing how that setting is turned off by default.

A majority of users don't use the feature because they simply don't know it exists.

And that's why you don't see many add-ons that support this feature, and adding it to an already process intensive add-on like Carbonite will only exasperate that.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Zoomable Map