08-14-16, 04:47 PM   #1
juneid215
A Defias Bandit
4k Monitor and Real UI

Hello,

Big fan of the UI since way way back. Thank you so much for keeping up with it.

I am currently having an issue, hoping someone can help me. I recently upgraded to a 4k monitor. and wanted to know if REAL UI has 4k support. I know in the settings you can make it retina display. But i use a actual 4k monitor and not a mac and my monitor has a 3840 x 2160 resolution. Was wondering is there some way real ui and a 4k monitor will work with one another.

Thank you in advance.
08-14-16, 09:15 PM   #2
MiRai
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
You might need to clarify what you mean by "4K support" because 3840x2160 is a standard 16:9 resolution, which, dare I say, all UIs should support with no problem whatsoever these days. Labeling a display as "retina" doesn't mean anything special, and it's just a marketing term used by Apple to indicate the display has a high density of pixels.

So, I think the answer to your question is yes, RealUI supports your standard 16:9 resolutions just fine, but regardless, if you find it to be too big or too small, the game (as well as RealUI) have options for you to scale the UI to whatever size you want (within reason).
08-15-16, 04:46 PM   #3
juneid215
A Defias Bandit
You are right. Let me put up a screen shot so you can see.

Please see below. Everything is extremely tiny. I know i can unclick pixel perfect and then enter random numbers between .48 and 1. But that does take away from the UI due to it no longer being pixel perfect. I guess my question would be is there any other work around.

If not what would anyone else who uses a 4k monitor recommend as the best setting (i.e. .48/.49/.75)

08-15-16, 07:33 PM   #4
MiRai
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Okay, as I mentioned in my prior post RealUI has an option to adjust its scale for high-pixel displays and you're currently looking at it in your screenshot. If you've just enabled the Retina Display then you'll need to reload your interface, if not, then un-check the option and reload. I don't remember exactly what you need to have selected, but I just had the RUI suite installed the other day, so I know the option to properly adjust for high-pixel displays is present and working properly.
08-16-16, 04:53 PM   #5
juneid215
A Defias Bandit
My assumption is that you are referring to the option labled "Retina Display" which is the closest thing to a fix i currently have. Taking off pixel perfect and changing the ui scale really distorts the UI.
10-07-16, 02:33 AM   #6
Tengen
A Murloc Raider
I am in the same boat, RealUI is abit small on 4k and changing the scale distorts it too much. If you happen to find something that helps let me know.
10-07-16, 02:42 AM   #7
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
One question. Isn't everything on Real UI related to the scale of UIParent?

That way you could just increase the scale of UIParent. Either by using the system settings (enable ui scale and move the slider) or by using this in chat.

Lua Code:
  1. /run SetCVar("useUiScale", 1)
  2. /run SetCVar("uiScale", 2) --add your scale here. 2 makes everything twice as big as default

Now that I think about it...That is probably why Blizzard introduced the bigger nameplate option. Nameplates are part of the worldframe and are not affected by the scale of UIParent by default.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 10-07-16 at 02:47 AM.
10-07-16, 03:58 PM   #8
Gethe
RealUI Developer

Premium Member
Featured
This issue is, as it's core, an artifact of how the UI is rendered in WoW. Everything is in static pixels, and when you scale it up or down things get distorted. With the default UI it's not a big deal because all the textures have a fairly rough grainy look to them anyway, so it's not really noticeable.

In RealUI though, pixels matter, so using scale isn't really a good solution. The only real way to accommodate 4K, or really anything higher than 1200, is to make an element's static size bigger/smaller based on the screen size. I've done this to an extent with the HUD config bar, but extending it to the entire UI, including Blizzard stuff, is no small task.

10-08-16, 03:54 AM   #9
Tengen
A Murloc Raider
Is there a reason the custom UI scale is limited to .48 on the bottom end?
10-08-16, 11:01 AM   #10
Gethe
RealUI Developer

Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by Tengen View Post
Is there a reason the custom UI scale is limited to .48 on the bottom end?
That limitation was set by Nibelheim a while ago, and i'm not sure what the reason might have been, if any. For my part, it never really occurred to me that the lower cap ought to be changed, so I just kept it the way it had been.

10-09-16, 09:26 PM   #11
Tengen
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Gethe View Post
That limitation was set by Nibelheim a while ago, and i'm not sure what the reason might have been, if any. For my part, it never really occurred to me that the lower cap ought to be changed, so I just kept it the way it had been.
Fair enough. Do you happen to know where that is set? Or how hard it would be for me to over ride it and set a number around .40

I poke around a little bit but don't really know where to start looking for that. Thanks for any help you can provide.
10-16-16, 08:43 AM   #12
ievil
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
From a quick look it would seem to be:

nibRealUI_Config\Advanced.lua

Line 1432 to 1438

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » RealUI » 4k Monitor and Real UI