01-21-10, 08:47 AM   #1
Psychoholic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I can't use Custom UI's. (not technically)

Hey

I have a problem, and i think that im not the only one that has this problem.

I really like addons, they make the game so much more fun and they are useful.

But my biggest problem is that i want my UI clean + i want it to be functional and has a lot of features.

Sadly, i have to do a lot of configuration to keep my UI clean and let it have a lot of features. And since i get tired of my UI fast, i change it a lot.
And i simply don't have the time to configure it so much.

Another problem is that i really want to use custom ActionBar-Addons and UF-Addons.
There are really really nice ouF Layouts! And using ActionBar addons gives you so much more screenspace!

My problem is just that with an ActionBar-Addon, its seems to me that i lose the overview, and with ouF layouts, it feels like im kinda blinded. I mean im used to blizzard UF and using ouF layouts still means i can see my target, but it feels like im looking through dirty glasses.

Anyone has the same feeling about it or knows what i mean and can help me??!

for example, my current ui looks like this

But i want to use ouF layouts, but i can't, cos then it feels like im blinded.
And it feels like i can't change alot of it without using the overview, and that really bothers me.
After one month, i went back to the blizzard ui, spamming it full with addons.

short version of this post:

I get bored of UIs too fast, so i can't get used to any ActionBar-addon or UF addon, and i want my UI to have alot of features and i want to change the way it looks without spending to much time. Can't do that so easily with UF and actionbar addons.
01-21-10, 09:09 AM   #2
kneeki
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Setup 3 - 5 different UI layouts and position everything the way you want them. Copy each UI /addons/ and /WTF/ folders to seperate folders somewhere on your PC. Create a batch file to update your backups, then choose a random UI from the list and implement it. Run this batch file each time you start up the game for a fun and unique way to mix up your UI!

Hard to get bored with them if they're constantly changing
01-21-10, 09:53 AM   #3
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

The main, unfortunate, solution to this problem is you just learning how to code an oUF layout, then you can have one look however you want, and change it whenever you want.

The "easiest" way to go about this would be to sit down with a .lua guide and go over one of your favorite oUF layouts and try to edit it some. Learn in small increments.

An alternate solution is to just use an action bar mod (IE dominos, bartender), and a separate UF mod (IE pitbull, STUF) and set it all up that way.
01-21-10, 12:00 PM   #4
Psychoholic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
dont get me wrong, i did try all these addons

but i get bored of them easily, cba to set them up and i cant get used to them

talking about pitbull

i got a question

anyone can recommend me addons that make the ui look nicer?
like kgpanels, button facade for example?

and can anyone recommend me a strategy on how to manage my addons?
Is there a way around using a program? and if not, what is the most trustworthy one?
01-21-10, 12:51 PM   #5
zero-kill
A Firelord

Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_012110_125033.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	3873

This is what I use with Stuf and Dominos. Is this too hard for you to see? I don't use kgpanels or button facade at all. I too get tired of my UI so I turned to Stuf which gives you a lot of customization, you can do just about anything with the built in config. As for managing the addons, I for one have minion installed, don't really use it, if something breaks then I'll just check Minion for updates and let it do its thing, otherwise if I know what broke I'll just download the updates from the site.

Sounds like you're putting too much thought into the whole process.

Last edited by zero-kill : 01-21-10 at 12:56 PM.
01-21-10, 04:47 PM   #6
Psychoholic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by zero-kill View Post
Attachment 3873

Is this too hard for you to see?

Sounds like you're putting too much thought into the whole process.
Its not that im blind or anything. Its just so much different and it when i see someone with 20k health on Blizzard unit frames i have a different feeling about him then i would when i used an addon that simply said 20k health.

About the UI, i just want a functional ui, which alot of features, which i dont get tired of, which looks really nice, is functional for PVP, and isnt that hard to config
01-21-10, 06:15 PM   #7
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Psychoholic View Post
... when i see someone with 20k health on Blizzard unit frames i have a different feeling about him then i would when i used an addon that simply said 20k health.
With a UF addon, you can usually set the health/power to display in any increment that you want. 20,534 HP, 20k HP, 20.5k HP, 1-100% HP, or for a boss... 4,183,500 HP.

Also, there are very few UIs that are configurable. The configuration has already been done by the author of the UI, and that configuration is what people are looking for when they download a UI.

Your "getting bored" problem, is it something that can be solved by just using some different textures, or do you have to change your UI around completely? Also, when you download and try these new UIs, are you not satisfied with them from the beginning and just stick with it for a while, or have you just not found the right thing to suit your needs?

Are you the type of person who is always changing their computer desktop wallpaper/icons/theme? If that's the case, that's just something you're going to have to deal with in relation to a WoW UI =/.

Btw, since you seem to like the look of Blizzard artwork, have you tried Neav UI?

Originally Posted by Psychoholic View Post
About the UI, i just want a functional ui, which alot of features, which i dont get tired of, which looks really nice, is functional for PVP, and isnt that hard to config
One person's "looking nice" can be really different from another person's. The same goes for functionality. I've seen some UIs here that I've thought were quite hideous, bulky, or difficult to read. But that doesn't mean the person who made them, or those other that use that UI can't disagree with me and like it.

Believe me, I sympathize with your predicament. I look at some of these screenshots and try to switch things around occasionally. I usually end up going back to my familiar setup though.

Last edited by sakurakira : 01-21-10 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Making an addition.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » I can't use Custom UI's. (not technically)