11-09-10, 03:59 PM   #1
Ashkir
A Cyclonian
Encrypted Addons?

I downloaded an addon from WoWInterface and my computer says the addon is encrypted.

What does this mean? A bunch of folders from the addon are appearing green in my file manager now.
11-09-10, 04:01 PM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Not sure, would help to know what addon you downloaded. We have over nine thousand files available for download so it would be difficult to guess
11-09-10, 04:09 PM   #3
Ashkir
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Not sure, would help to know what addon you downloaded. We have over nine thousand files available for download so it would be difficult to guess
I downloaded Aurora available here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...89-Aurora.html

11-09-10, 04:13 PM   #4
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Wow, I'm not sure why that would be. I downloaded and extracted it on my win7 machine and there was no encryption.

I would remove it, re-download and re-extract the zip.

What zip program are you using? The windows default? winrar? winzip? etc...
11-09-10, 04:15 PM   #5
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Windows XP and above support the ability to encrypt files on your harddrive. Windows shows these files in green. I'm guessing that WoW isn't able to read these files and produces this error. To turn off file encryption, right-click on the encrypted folder and go to properties. There should be a button that says "Advanced..." in the Attributes section at the bottom of the window that pops up, click it. One of the options that show up is a check box that says, "Encrypt contents to secure data", make sure that's unchecked and click "OK". Click "OK" to save changes in the main window and if the "Confirm Attribute Changes" window pops up to confirm, make sure "Apply changes to this folder, subfolder, and files" is selected before hitting "OK" again. Repeat this process for the remaining folders.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 11-09-10 at 04:19 PM.
11-09-10, 04:15 PM   #6
Ashkir
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Wow, I'm not sure why that would be. I downloaded and extracted it on my win7 machine and there was no encryption.

I would remove it, re-download and re-extract the zip.

What zip program are you using? The windows default? winrar? winzip? etc...
I am doing the windows default to extract.
11-09-10, 04:17 PM   #7
Ashkir
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Windows XP and above support the ability to encrypt files on your harddrive. Windows shows these files in green. I'm guessing that WoW isn't able to read these files and produces this error. To turn off file encryption, right-click on the encrypted folder and go to properties. There should be a button that says "Advanced..." in the Attributes section at the bottom of the window that pops up, click it. One of the options that show up is a check box that says, "Encrypt contents to secure data", make sure that's unchecked and click "OK". Click "OK" to save changed in the main window and if the "Confirm Attribute Changes" window pops up to confirm, make sure "Apply changes to this folder, subfolder, and files" is selected before hitting "OK" again. Repeat this process for the remaining folders.
Why is it only doing it to this addon? I never had it do that before, ever, on anything.
11-09-10, 04:20 PM   #8
Ashkir
A Cyclonian
I tried to decrypt but I got a key error, that I need to save a key. I couldn't even open a file to edit it in notepad. it kept saying NULL NULL. But it worked in game.

I deleted the files and redownloaded from wowinterface it did the same. So I deleted them again and used 7-zip and it wasn't encrypted this time.

Odd.
11-09-10, 04:42 PM   #9
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I remembered that OS-compressed files turn blue and also there was the option to encrypt files. So I tested encrypting a random folder and it turned green. I'm stumped as to why it would only encrypt that one file. You say that 7-zip extracted it fine, meaning it wasn't encrypted in the zip file. Then again, I shouldn't put it past Windows to do some bizarre things at random.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Encrypted Addons?