04-16-09, 06:07 AM   #461
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I have a very simple question for you.

What would have happened if we and Curse both had to close our doors on Tuesday? Not slow. Just plain closed.
04-16-09, 06:25 AM   #462
Gamoin
A Defias Bandit
Sigh, why don't people read previous posts.

Originally Posted by Thengus View Post
Next time, before taking a decision like this, think it over a second time and consider what your customer will suffer for your decisions
Originally Posted by Gamoin View Post
Finally, i'm registered I've waded through the 23 page discussion and it seems to me it could be summed up to this:

1) People using WM have no right to complain to WOWI/Curse. WM was using their resources in a way that had created problems for the sites and there is no way that can be justified. You can like it or not, it doesn't matter, there is no reason these sites need to let that kind of service operating, or for that matter, any kind of service. If you think about it, it is free (in a sense you don't pay your money, you haven't agreed to Terms of use, etc etc) so if they choose, they can let you download a limited amount of addons. Or maybe just one It would be a suicide but they could do it and there's nothing obligating them no to do it. If there's anyone you can complain to is to WM, it's their service that isn't working, not these 2 sites
Afaik, both sites provide the service, it's WM that isn't
Edit: And as we concluded, you are not a customer, you're an user.

user
n 1: a person who makes use of a thing; someone who uses or
employs something

customer
n : someone who pays for goods or services [syn: client]

Last edited by Gamoin : 04-16-09 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Additional note
04-16-09, 06:25 AM   #463
Bouvi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post

What would have happened if we and Curse both had to close our doors on Tuesday? Not slow. Just plain closed.
They sidestep that Cairenn, I have asked that many times already. The bottom line is the complainers do not care.

Ease of use to them means it is ok for people to leech your bandwidth. They cannot seem to understand that if you both had to shut down your site WM would not work anyway.

The fact that you have a 50% drop in bandwidth and the fact that I have been able to post and download addons yesterday and the day before with just minor errors shows that it is working. Last patch day the site was impossible to get to. I used to wait 2 or 3 days after the patch to update because all the addon sites were overloaded.

But no they do not care about that. It is convenient to them and because they cannot see the big picture they will moan and complain.
04-16-09, 06:54 AM   #464
Thrillseeker
A Murloc Raider

Well, I for one would have had to play without some Addons. Bitter but not a disaster.

Tell me Cairenn, what would YOU have done?
04-16-09, 06:59 AM   #465
Hic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post
Well, I for one would have had to play without some Addons. Bitter but not a disaster.

Tell me Cairenn, what would YOU have done?
Don't you get the point? You'd end up without addons at all, while right now you have addons, just not delivered in a leeching way.
04-16-09, 07:02 AM   #466
Thrillseeker
A Murloc Raider
Oh, I get the Point. And as I said it would be a bummer but not a disaster. I'd just like to know what Cairenn would do in her scenario.
04-16-09, 07:05 AM   #467
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

/Shakes head
/wanders off
/sits down and starts eating dirt

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-16-09, 07:07 AM   #468
Bouvi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Oh, I get the Point. And as I said it would be a bummer but not a disaster. I'd just like to know what Cairenn would do in her scenario.
I would say she would relax and enjoy life not having to deal with people complaining that they prevented someone from shutting the site down due to bandwidth leeching.

I can imagine how frustrating it is for the WoWi and Curse team to take steps to ensure their sites will be able to continue to service the community only to have people whine because they use a program that had to be blocked to keep the sites running.
04-16-09, 07:08 AM   #469
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
In all honesty, I'd be crying, because of how much I love our sites and our community (yes, I AM a girl and yes I really do love our sites that much, that I'd be in tears over it, and no, I'm not at all ashamed to admit that), and I'd be furious at those who had forced us to close because we couldn't pay our bills that they cost us.

The point I'm making here, though, is that a lot of people are mad at us for blocking WowMatrix. Would they be mad at us if instead we were just plain gone? The result, for those that are mad at us, would be the same: WowMatrix would be trying to find somewhere else to get the mods. So why in one scenario are they mad at us, but not in the other? (Yes, I know, I'm presuming here. I'm presuming they wouldn't be mad at us if we were just plain closed. If they'd be mad at us for that, too, then .... hell if I know, I just couldn't even begin to understand that.)

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-16-09 at 07:12 AM.
04-16-09, 07:11 AM   #470
Thrillseeker
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Bouvi View Post
I would say she would relax and enjoy life not having to deal with people complaining that they prevented someone from shutting the site down due to bandwidth leeching.

I can imagine how frustrating it is for the WoWi and Curse team to take steps to ensure their sites will be able to continue to service the community only to have people whine because they use a program that had to be blocked to keep the sites running.
Nooo, she wouldn't do that. If Cairenn's Life would be better without Curse and Wowinterface she could just quit. I'm still wondering...

Edit:

Cairenn, I for one I'm mad that there is no equal alternative. Your Updater is crap and anything Curse-related is crap anyway.

And I'm mad because I use an adblocker and regardless where I download my stuff from, nobody earns money through ads from me. I like to donor money directly to authors of addons If I like them. And yes, I did that to quite a lot of addon-authors over the course of my wow-career.

Now Instead of just clicking WoWMatrix I have to invest a few minutes every day hunting for updates. And thats a lot coming from one-click-heaven! So I threw away a lot of smaller not-so-importand addons and thats even less businessoportunity for everybody. Meaning you!

With your move everybody loses. Just sayin you should have an equal alternative...

Last edited by Thrillseeker : 04-16-09 at 07:22 AM.
04-16-09, 07:21 AM   #471
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

In all honesty, I'd be crying, because of how much I love our sites and our community (yes, I AM a girl and yes I really do love our sites that much, that I'd be in tears over it, and no, I'm not at all ashamed to admit that), and I'd be furious at those who had forced us to close because we couldn't pay our bills that they cost us.
Awww.... *comforts Cairenn*

04-16-09, 07:28 AM   #472
Bouvi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

And I'm mad because I use an adblocker and regardless where I download my stuff from, nobody earns money through ads from me. I like to donor money directly to authors of addons If I like them. And yes, I did that to quite a lot of addon-authors over the course of my wow-career.
Yeah get mad that they offer you a FREE service.
04-16-09, 07:29 AM   #473
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

With your move everybody loses. Just sayin you should have an equal alternative...
It's been stated again and again, without their move, everybody loses. That question about how you'd feel if they shut their doors entirely, that was what would have happened today had they not shut out WoWMatrix. They simply cannot afford that bandwidth it's incurring. Without WoWI, WoWM has no where to get it's addons, and sure enough, once again everybody loses.

Personally, I'd rather update manually than not at all.
04-16-09, 07:38 AM   #474
Thrillseeker
A Murloc Raider
I guess this has been discussed on the last 30pages as well, but I don't believe the bandwidth-Problem has gone. It just doesn't make sense.

And If they're suddenly making that much more money because of the people coming here and clicking ads like crazy, why not invest that money in a new updater?
04-16-09, 07:39 AM   #475
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Cairenn, I for one I'm mad that there is no equal alternative. Your Updater is crap and anything Curse-related is crap anyway.

Now Instead of just clicking WoWMatrix I have to invest a few minutes every day hunting for updates. And thats a lot coming from one-click-heaven! So I threw away a lot of smaller not-so-importand addons and thats even less businessoportunity for everybody. Meaning you!

From a few different responses of mine in various places:

On WoWInterface (I don't know about Curse, but I'm sure it's something similar), when you go to the download page of an AddOn you use and like, you can click on the little heart underneath the big download button. That adds it to your favourites list. Now every time you visit the site, you will see a notice on the front page (Community tab) saying whether any of your favourites have been updated. As well, there is a link on the top bar of the site that says "favourites", that you can click at any time to go look at your list.

To get email notifications of updates of your favourites, do this:

If you are on your Favourites list page you will see a little menu on the left, or if you are on any other page on the site you can click on "Options" on the top bar. Either one of those places you will see:

AddOn Options
Manage Favorites
Email Feeds
Preferences
Download History

Click on "Preferences". You will then see this:

Download Preferences
My Favorites Options
Email Notification:
Enable this feature to recive email notification when one of your favorites has been updated.
yes no

Just check "yes" and any time any AddOn on your favourites list is updated, it will send out an email notification that it has been updated and give you a direct link to the download page for that AddOn.
No having to waste time "hunting" for updates.

2. As for the fact you use ad-blocker, that's not the way ads work. Whether you see them or not, they still get 'served' as far as the advertisers are concerned, so we still get paid. By using WowMatrix, those ads don't get served, so we don't get paid, yet we are still having to pay for the bandwidth.

3. http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...&postcount=269 and http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...&postcount=298

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-16-09 at 07:52 AM.
04-16-09, 07:39 AM   #476
samhamfast
A Kobold Labourer
curses again????

I have used the curse client it is to intrusive. why does it need to be running just because i booted my computer. what i liked about that wm was it did not need to be installed did not use resources when not being used. since this has happened I will cut down on the add ons i use and get updates from author's sites only.

The most used by me was carbonite and auction advanced. I know that until there is a client as simple and unobtrusive as wm to use i will not be looking to these hosting sites in the future. i will be deleting my bookmarks to wowi and curse and recommending others do the same. I set up this login just to make this parting shot good by forever
04-16-09, 07:47 AM   #477
Thrillseeker
A Murloc Raider
Cairenn I know of that favorite-feature. I already use it in conjunction with the RSS-Feed. And I don't like it. I like it better to click a button and be done with it.

And I find it hard to believe that someone pays you just for "serving" an add. That would be stupid. It has to be served, viewed, clicked and the story has to end in a sale!

Else your moneyproblems could be solved by clickbots constantly refreshing their ip's and whatnot.
04-16-09, 07:53 AM   #478
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by samhamfast View Post
I have used the curse client it is to intrusive. why does it need to be running just because i booted my computer. what i liked about that wm was it did not need to be installed did not use resources when not being used. since this has happened I will cut down on the add ons i use and get updates from author's sites only.

The most used by me was carbonite and auction advanced. I know that until there is a client as simple and unobtrusive as wm to use i will not be looking to these hosting sites in the future. i will be deleting my bookmarks to wowi and curse and recommending others do the same. I set up this login just to make this parting shot good by forever
We aren't Curse. If you have problems with their updater, go tell them.
04-16-09, 08:00 AM   #479
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Cairenn I know of that favorite-feature. I already use it in conjunction with the RSS-Feed. And I don't like it. I like it better to click a button and be done with it.
...and you were already banned from WoWAce when the WAU was discontinued for the same behavior you're exhibiting here. /sigh

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
04-16-09, 08:10 AM   #480
Resa1983
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Wow.. I just can't believe people..

I used WowMatrix back when it first came out (SORRY!), until I found a thread on the UI & Macros forum explaining exactly what they do, and how they leech bandwidth, and MAKE MONEY from leeching bandwidth via their donations & ads. Add to that the fact that they didn't have ANY info about any of the addon authors so I couldn't contact them for bug reports... I uninstalled wowmatrix & found wowinterface & curse.

Yes I've had issues with both updaters in the past, but its not worth it going back to wowmatrix and essentially telling them its ok to steal from others and make money off it.

Congrats on finding a way to block those jerks. I hope their site & program get shut down for good.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users