04-18-09, 12:46 PM   #581
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by guice View Post
In a way, almost what WoWAces was -- the only reason it never really took off, imo, is lack of usability (the site) for the authors. The "Wiki" approach isn't the most user-friendly or author-friendly approach.
Totally off-topic, but I don't really know what you're saying here... WowAce *did* take off - that helped contribute to its problems. It was a wiki system and not a user system because it was not supposed to be a user site, not supposed to be where users got their addons from. In essence, WowAce is now what it was always supposed to be.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-18-09, 12:50 PM   #582
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Totally off-topic, but I don't really know what you're saying here... WowAce *did* take off - that helped contribute to its problems. It was a wiki system and not a user system because it was not supposed to be a user site, not supposed to be where users got their addons from. In essence, WowAce is now what it was always supposed to be.
Oh yeah, that's right. It was the dropping of the updater that dropped it back down to the background.
A central source of add-ons that couldn't handle the load, so they removed the updater and now ... do people even use Ace? I think I have maybe two add-ons now that are "Ace" add-ons. None of the others are even hosted on Ace anymore.

Now, if Ace didn't want to be a big, then they, for the lack of a better phrase, got their wish. But if they did, they ruined their opportunity when they decided to discontinue the ace updater.

Last edited by guice : 04-18-09 at 12:53 PM.
04-18-09, 01:04 PM   #583
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
guice, seriously, enough. You keep posting supposed facts that are anything but and you have no actual concept of the reality of a lot of the things you are talking about.
04-18-09, 01:06 PM   #584
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ace was never meant to be a user community. It is a developer community. And just in the IRC channel alone, the Ace channel consistently has nearly 250 people. For comparison, the Java channel on the same network has only 300 people in it right now.

Redistribution of those files has been moved to Curse, was announced that it was moving to curse, and was intentionally moved to Curse.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
04-18-09, 01:11 PM   #585
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If you're still confused, or if anyone else wishes to read up on this topic, there are several threads, including a good one on this site. But here you go: http://forums.wowace.com/showthread.php?t=14343

/off-topic This thread isn't about wowace's history

edit: though it does show how the abuse of an updater client can lead to the potential downfall of a website and community that its members loved.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 04-18-09 at 01:13 PM.
04-18-09, 02:00 PM   #586
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
Originally Posted by guice View Post
Oh yeah, that's right. It was the dropping of the updater that dropped it back down to the background.
A central source of add-ons that couldn't handle the load, so they removed the updater and now ... do people even use Ace? I think I have maybe two add-ons now that are "Ace" add-ons. None of the others are even hosted on Ace anymore.

Now, if Ace didn't want to be a big, then they, for the lack of a better phrase, got their wish. But if they did, they ruined their opportunity when they decided to discontinue the ace updater.
WowAce is still huge dude, It's by far one of the largest active developer communities. We just don't have to worry about the costs or having an excessive number of users on the site.

Another shift we made with Ace3 was to downplay it's usage. You probably have a lot more Ace addons than you think.

Sorry for de-railing thread again.

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with
04-18-09, 02:41 PM   #587
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Hellarion View Post
Tekkhub
*cough*

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
Redistribution of those files has been moved to Curse, was announced that it was moving to curse, and was intentionally moved to Curse.
And when it happened WAU was discontinued, ace's hosting page was turned off, and this EXACT SAME drama took place...
04-18-09, 06:59 PM   #588
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Well I will say that WoWMatrix is working. Not sure how. Not every part. Just and FYI. Still updated all of the ace addons. Just not Carbonite. GL. Really need a fixed client that your community will work. I have used Curse and had issues with it already. Still getting the incorrect addons and problems with the revisions posted. GL

Faldiin

Last edited by Faldiin : 04-18-09 at 07:22 PM.
04-18-09, 07:05 PM   #589
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Of course it's still working. It has always continued to work. It just can't get any files from us or Curse. If it can find them elsewhere ...

Appreciate the heads up, though.
04-18-09, 07:10 PM   #590
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Of course it's still working. It has always continued to work. It just can't get any files from us or Curse. If it can find them elsewhere ...

Appreciate the heads up, though.
Well my reason for this post was all that I undated was Ace addons from Curse. They were not updating before. They are now. So unless Ace is posting else were, they are getting through.

Faldiin
04-18-09, 07:14 PM   #591
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Well, depending on which mods you're talking about ... they are hosting a bunch of mods on their own servers now, so it may be that. Would have to know which mods in particular you are able to get from it.
04-18-09, 07:21 PM   #592
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Well, depending on which mods you're talking about ... they are hosting a bunch of mods on their own servers now, so it may be that. Would have to know which mods in particular you are able to get from it.
Bug Grabber
Xperl
Decursive
Titan

Not updating
Skinner
Prat
Carbonite
Cowtip

It would appear some of these addons are being posted on WOWUI also. That is where they are coming from. I would say those Authors will need to stop updating to there. I hope this info helps. Now time to load Curse on another computer.

Faldiin
04-18-09, 07:26 PM   #593
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Titan Panel has it's own website that as far as I know has no protection against WoWMatrix.
04-18-09, 07:33 PM   #594
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Bug Grabber, XPerl and Decursive are all released with under GPL, so WM can host them on their servers if they want to.

I can't find any license on Titan, though, (which means that it's fully copyrighted "all rights reserved") so if they are hosting or distributing it, they are violating copyright. It may be that it has a GPL (or some other similar license) and I'm just not seeing it, in which case they are fine.
04-18-09, 07:59 PM   #595
Faldiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
So is WoWUI part of WoWMatrix? if so that makes sense now.

Faldiin
04-18-09, 08:03 PM   #596
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Not that I've heard. Pretty sure they're not.

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-18-09 at 08:08 PM.
04-18-09, 11:05 PM   #597
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Faldiin View Post
So is WoWUI part of WoWMatrix? if so that makes sense now.

Faldiin
They're not.

WoWMatrix gives little regard for the rights of the addon providers and just downloads addons from whereever it wants.
04-19-09, 03:21 AM   #598
Neuro
A Theradrim Guardian

Titan is hosted on Google Code, so that's where WM is pulling from. Just checked, and it has 200k downloads in 5 days.
04-19-09, 03:31 AM   #599
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Faldiin View Post
Well I will say that WoWMatrix is working. Not sure how. Not every part. Just and FYI. Still updated all of the ace addons. Just not Carbonite. GL. Really need a fixed client that your community will work. I have used Curse and had issues with it already. Still getting the incorrect addons and problems with the revisions posted. GL

Faldiin
/fake cough

I believe I brought up the fact that WM was probably still working 200 or 300 posts ago. And I still refuse to use it lol.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-19-09, 04:10 AM   #600
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Neuro View Post
Titan is hosted on Google Code, so that's where WM is pulling from. Just checked, and it has 200k downloads in 5 days.

I guess we'll find out if google code will put up with that kind of usage.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users