04-23-09, 07:32 AM   #761
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post
I will caution you here the same way I did on your forums: professionalism, respect, and kindness will do far more to further your cause (in this case, your software) than condescension and rudeness.

"But, I wasn't being condescending or rude..."

You most certainly were. The only reason I've recently checked out WI or CC is because they have done something that directly affects me. That doesn't make my voice any less important in the din of support and dissent for either side that is being simultaneously thrust into the debate. Your comment makes it seem as though I have no right to express an opinion, because from your perspective, I'm a "Johnny-come-lately" on the scene. I take that attitude to be exremely arrogant and unnecessary, and I'm not so sure it makes me willing to give you so much as a second glance except to note what I don't like about you or your software.
While I'm not Kaetlen, and cannot speak for him (or her?), I personally think that observation was perfectly valid, whether it hurts your feelings or not. I don't know if you have been following this thread, but one of the common arguments WoWMatrix supporter like to throw out there, is that WoWMatrix actually generates more revenue for WoWI/Curse by users visiting through the "Visit addon page" or whatever the link is called. The fact that 99% of the WoWMatrix supporters in this thread created an account right after this happened, hints pretty strongly that the argument is invalid.

As for your other questions you might have a look here:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20417

Edit: Opp, looks like that thread is now closed (though it probably still awnsers some of your questions). The new forum specifically for the WoWI updater is:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f...play.php?f=124

I'm sure Cairenn will give you a response too.

Last edited by Vyper : 04-23-09 at 07:36 AM.
04-23-09, 07:48 AM   #762
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
1) As a WoWMatrix user, I have the ability to download and update mods without the hassle of logging in. I know it reflects well on a software producer when they have the ability to track how many people are using their software. If I use your product, will I have to logon in the application? If so, will there be some kind of "Remember Me" option I can check so I only have to click "Okay" to logon?
Only premium users will be required to log in, and along with that, will only haveto log in once. Non-premium users do not have to enter their login information.

2) As a WoWMatrix user, I have enjoyed extremely minimalistic adverts. (Other WM users who haven't noticed them, I promise they're there. You haven't been advert-free this whole time. They really have been making money off your usage, no matter how little money they were actually generating.) I understand that in order to generate a quality addon manager and maintain the servers which support that manager, you need to have the adverts there. What kind of links, banners, pop-ups, or pop-unders can I expect when using your coming addon manager?
This site has never advocated pop-ups or pop-unders. The updater will display a static 300x250 advertisement in the same location of the main frame of the UI at all times.

3) Can I look forward to an "Update All" function as a free user?
Yes. This functionality will not be restricted.

4) Will there be some functions available to paid users that aren't available to free users, or is your addon manager going to be equally simple for both sets of users?
The only difference will be the hiding of advertisements.

5) Will Macintosh users with any form of MacOS on any hardware be able to use your addon manager?
The only significant requirement will be Java 6. The program will be packaged as an .app with a check for Java 6 that will alert you if you do not have it and direct you to obtain it.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
04-23-09, 09:17 AM   #763
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
I personally think that observation was perfectly valid, whether it hurts your feelings or not. I don't know if you have been following this thread, but one of the common arguments WoWMatrix supporter like to throw out there, is that WoWMatrix actually generates more revenue for WoWI/Curse by users visiting through the "Visit addon page" or whatever the link is called. The fact that 99% of the WoWMatrix supporters in this thread created an account right after this happened, hints pretty strongly that the argument is invalid.

The new forum specifically for the WoWI updater is:
Vyper,

You're half-way there. I was not splitting hairs over the validity of the statement that all of us who prefer WM didn't create accounts or so much as look the direction of these communities until things began to... well, explode. I understand that when people experience something they don't like, they will typically grab onto whatever argument they can (no matter how erroneous it may be) in the name of trying to make themselves feel better or justified. I agree with you that WM could be stealing business away, and I agree fully with the idea that the issue with deep-linking and hosting without developer permissions is bad. I have never debated either of those things.

My issue with his statement lay solely in the implication that our protests lack validity on the basis that we haven't been in these communities. Correction: my issue with his statement lay solely in the implication that our protests lack validity for a reason that has nothing to do with the factual equity of our statements. If I'm going to be told my statements are invalid, I'd like to be shown why they're invalid strictly on the merit of their factuality (or lack thereof). I should not be categorically lumped in with a bunch of people making emotional arguments strictly because of my choice of software. That kind of perspective is irrational of its own accord and implies that an illogical set of biases are hard at work. It tells me that no matter what I say, it's going to be wrong, because I use WowMatrix. That is narrow-minded and absurd. Worse, for someone in his position on his site, it's entirely unprofessional. If he didn't represent Curse, I would care significantly less. In fact, I would likely shake my head and pay little attention to anything else he has to say. Unfortunately, I don't feel it's a good idea to do that, because for all intents and purposes, he's the face and voice of Curse, and if I am to keep a whole and objective perspective on these events, I need to see what Curse is doing. That means I need to pay close attention to what he says. What he is doing in making statements like that is a professional mistake, and I think it's only fair to note that.

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
Only premium users will be required to log in, and along with that, will only have to log in once. Non-premium users do not have to enter their login information.

This site has never advocated pop-ups or pop-unders. The updater will display a static 300x250 advertisement in the same location of the main frame of the UI at all times.

The only significant requirement will be Java 6. The program will be packaged as an .app with a check for Java 6 that will alert you if you do not have it and direct you to obtain it.
Shirik,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions. What I've read on the site thus far has told me the software is still in its developmental stages, and I didn't want to annoy anyone with questions that may not be answerable, but I'm glad they were.

Those answers are extremely reassuring. They make good logical sense, and while it may not be the software I've enjoyed using for so long, it sounds like I can definitely get used to enjoying WI. Coming from WM, I'm very excited to see your addon manager when it is released, and if I like it, I'm going to tell my guilds about it since they're all currently using WM and don't know wtf to do. ><

Enthusiastically,
Nate

04-23-09, 10:11 AM   #764
Rhaethe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Respectfully,
Nate

PS @ Raethe: Dancing cheese ftw! ^^
Yay! Someone enjoyed the Dancing Cheese

As far as the thread subject itself, I've been following this thread since it started, and here are the immediate and consistent thoughts that come to my mind when reading it:

I host and administer some websites for a couple companies. Some for-profit, some non-profit. In both cases, I have always held that even though the Interwebs appear to be a "public place" by nature, sites are the private property of the person(s) who registered the domain name and pay for the hosting account. Ergo, it is the right of each site's owner to open and/or restrict access to whomever they wish as they wish. Even if it's "just because". Kinda like that sign you often see in shops and restaurants: "We reserve the right to refuse service to any person."

In this specific case, the owners of WOWI and Curse have exercised their right to deny service (access) to the WM Client. They are not obligated in any fashion to explain their reason, and to be honest, all they really needed to say (for me) was "The WM Client causes excessive disturbance to our site, therefore we have blocked off its access."

If you need an analogy, their sites are their homes, and WM was one of those houseguests that outlived its welcome.

A phrase that also comes to mind, echoing another set of recent threads -- It's their sandbox, they govern who plays in it.

Now, I honestly think (and I may be wrong) much of the outcry and angst perhaps could have been avoided (maybe) by rewording the notice and whatnot. For example, simply saying "The WM Client causes excessive disturbance to our site. We have attempted to resolve the problem with WM but with no success. Therefore, we are, as of this moment, restricting access to the WM Client." That's all that was necessary. It's an objective statement that doesn't require or engender much subjective discussion. When people come to the site, angry that their client doesn't work anymore, that single statement could be pointed to. Easy to read, easy to understand.

But, at this point, that's neither here nor there.

The other thoughts that come to mind for me are that I am, by nature, one of those people that are "fix it" people. I see something wrong, something broken, something that could be more efficient, something not smooth ... and I try to fix, to repair, to smooth over.

And when I read this thread, I think ... "I wish there were something I could do to help." For those on both sides that have spoken in a reasonable manner, I can see and empathize with their positions. I'd wish there were something I could actively do to help with an amicable solution.

Then people can stop fussing at each other and have more time to answer my scaling UI question or appreciate my Dancing Cheese.

Cause it's all about me after all ... yupyup
04-23-09, 10:14 AM   #765
Nuwisha
A Murloc Raider
I'm now ashamed to say that I was a long time user of wowmatrix.... I was unaware of just how much bad stuff they were doing to wowinterface and curse.. and more importantly the addon authors... I thought it was just convenient since I had never been (and still am not) able to use the old updater from this site and as I'm running a Mac I was mostly out of luck with Curse until VERY recently. I look forward to the time when you have the new (awesome looking) updater available. I'm using the curse updater for now.. but only as long as it takes for yours to get up...

Much love and hope the programmer is doing well in grad school...
04-23-09, 11:12 AM   #766
Vyper

Originally Posted by Nuwisha View Post
I'm now ashamed to say that I was a long time user of wowmatrix....
Don't be ashamed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having used it. While it may not seem like it here, none of the frustration being voiced here is aimed at the users of WM who just didn't know. How could you be expected to? It is those who are now being informed, yet don't care that it was driving these great sites out of business, that have some of us crawling up the walls.

Last edited by Vyper : 04-23-09 at 11:16 AM.
04-23-09, 11:27 AM   #767
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
TL: DR - you've been warned.

Originally Posted by ymir3 View Post
Go ahead and get the "you just registered knives out," Yes I did just make this account, similar to making one on curse to post a similar comment. I was not previously registered for the forums, because I find them somewhat useless. I don't have the time to comb through 50 pages of muck for 1 relevent comment. I am a casual player and same w/ user of add ons. Now that this concern has been raised on the bus. practice of WM, I will end my use of that product. What I don't understand, and concerns me the most, is the venom being spat from the people who are "in the right." You're points are mostly valid and correct, but you resorted to name calling on the first page of the this thread. How does it help your postion to gain any support if you act like a spited 12 yr old when someone takes a postion opisite to yours. If you feel so strongly about being right, just restate your arguement and go on, don't start saying things like, "users don't deserve support" because that will very quickly turn those on the fence away from your arguements. And you also indicate that people who use Dlers are lazy and slothful, then tell them to DL the ones from your site. Why would I do that, I dont' want to be considered lazy and Slothful. I have to say that the moderators from WOWI have been quite a bit better at controled responses then those on curse have been, most of the venom here has been from authors, and I can't really blame a programmer for haveing the people skills of a salted slug, but my god, if you are right, act like your right and just state the facts and refrain from needless name calling. It makes you look wrong in the end.
I agree that some of the posts, from both sides, have been less than polite. We (WoWI staff) have been trying to keep on top of them and have been deleting the worst of them (you should see some of what we’ve deleted, from either side ) and giving people short vacations from the site if they are way over the line.

Originally Posted by Spookie455 View Post
Come to think of it. While don't you have the FAQ and complied list of horror stories in the first post?

I'm sure no one will read it of course but I'm sure you'll feel better even if it's a short distraction from repeatedly banging your head against the wall of ignorance.

As you say no one will read it, in which case we just get more frustrated because no one is bothering to read it.

Originally Posted by Tristanian View Post
I will even go on a limb and state that said users do not deserve any kind of support in my eyes. I would suspect that others may feel the same way.
If that's not a verminous comment I don't know what is

Trust me, if I made mods to please users like you, I would have quit loooooong ago.

Another needless comment, and I'm only up to page 4 (sorry, I don't use forums not sure how the quote things work)

You obviously do not wish to read earlier posts in this topic, so I'll just quote what I said earlier in this topic. You can call it rude if you want to, but you give me no reason to act in a reasonable manner when your posts are only full of FUD.

Open admission to being rude, made it to page 5 now.

Obviously you missed the entire point of my post. You just lumped me w/ the ppl for WM, which I'm not. I do think from a tech standpoint this could have been handled better, but from a customer side (and curse and WOWI brought money into this, we're customers) the lack of any kind of understanding is disturbing. Some of the posts I was talking about have been removed, the ones calling anyone who wouldn't update their mods by hand lazy and slothful, but there are still plenty of examples of this if you go through the thread. And it is very much worse on curses forums. I'll happily try a product from WOWI since, the lack of understanding seems to be from the progs who wrote the add ons, where at curse it's from the moderators.

In the end, I just think its irrational to take those of us who didn't know any different and lump us in w/ the ppl who are defending WM. Like I said in my first post, I'm not going to use WM if this is the bus practice that they use, but I really dislike the way this is being handled. You need to remember, most of the players on wow are "casual players" and barely have any idea of the argument even being present, so tone down the banter and state fact and leave the other stuff out.

PS. Honem, I never me said anything about them working w/ WM, I'd seen that in the posts I read. And I didn't say anything about them "doing what they had to too survive." You said nothing at all relevant to my post so if you just want to repost things that have been said just do so, don't use my post that was not about yours in anyway as a springboard.
I agree that people need to not lump everyone in a group. Again, this is happening on both sides. Unfortunately, both sides are a) very passionate about all of it, b) getting sick of all of it, so mass-lumping isn’t unsurprising at this point in time. Not right, but not unsurprising, either.

I'm just trying to come from my point of view that I had no idea this was an issue, and many that I know didn't either. There were allusions in the curse forums that WM users had been told, and that is what I think could have been handled better. This is obviously an ongoing issue, many months in the making, but as a casual user, I had no idea. Then I went to curse first and the forums there are newest first, so it was all sniping and unreadable from a standpoint of what's going on(and it was fully from both sides). I hope that there is a solution that fits the needs of the many, and I know that not everyone will be happy w/ it, but I think both sides need to tone down the rhetoric, it's still all based on a game.
Yup, everyone needs to remember to breathe.

I haven't tried the contact thing on WM, as when I first got it I had no reason to believe there was any problems with it. And I'm not here to suggest an alternate handling of the issue. I'm reading the forums now, and I haven't liked the angle the side in the right has taken to many of the posts. I'm just saying the hate from both sides is a little silly, even going so far as the DDOS stuff it doesn't call for hate. I know that a venture takes heart, but if we kept more emotions out of business it would be better all around. Curse and WOWI see this as an immoral business practice, so that should be stated, and the name calling left out. It's elementary debate that you need to be calm and composed to make your side heard. I'm on your side, just wanted you to know how the early pages of this thread are coming across to noobs like me.

Look at it like this, you see too people on the side of the road having and argument, one guy is screaming bloody murder, the other is calm and collected, who do you listen too when you have to find out whats going on. At the end of the day silence is a much better answer then venom any day, and if you can't sit w/ that, then the restatement of clean solid fact is better.

And I do use a tabbed browser, called crazy browser, not as cool as fire fox, but I've had FF eat my comp more then once.
The original joint-statement post that was made was factual, there was no name calling in it.

I agree that people are heated about all of this and that everyone should try to not be, but it is a rather “hot” topic, so some people will post with heat. It’s to be expected.

We're trying to keep the thread as civil as we can while still allowing everyone the right to say what they want. It's a very fine line we're trying to walk.

Originally Posted by Kaelten View Post
Has anyone noticed that most of the people showing up to protest haven't been active in the community at all until this week?

Many of them haven't even had accounts.

I've noticed it on curse too...
Kaelten,

I told you this on your own site, and in the name of maintaining a similar perspective across venues, it concerns me that you seem so willing to be condescending and invalidate others in the name of making your perspective seem more relevant.

I will caution you here the same way I did on your forums: professionalism, respect, and kindness will do far more to further your cause (in this case, your software) than condescension and rudeness.

"But, I wasn't being condescending or rude..."

You most certainly were. The only reason I've recently checked out WI or CC is because they have done something that directly affects me. That doesn't make my voice any less important in the din of support and dissent for either side that is being simultaneously thrust into the debate. Your comment makes it seem as though I have no right to express an opinion, because from your perspective, I'm a "Johnny-come-lately" on the scene. I take that attitude to be exremely arrogant and unnecessary, and I'm not so sure it makes me willing to give you so much as a second glance except to note what I don't like about you or your software.

To draw a bottom line, you are alienating WoWMatrix users. If you want us to use your product, quit it. I can understand your frustration with WoWMatrix, but we aren't WoWMatrix, so we'll appreciate you not treating us like we are.

Moving on...

Cairenn,

As I have watched this debate take place over time and talked to many of the developers of the mods I enjoy using through private messages, I've come to realize that while I may appreciate the functionality of WoWMatrix, I'm not a fan of the legality (or lack thereof in this case) of their actions. Even if the issue weren't legal, I still wouldn't be fond of the lack of respect inherent to their alleged practices.

Unfortunately, I really like the way their software functions. >< Having gone through your post history in this thread, it would seem you and I are on the same page (if not fairly close to it).

Reviewing your post history has also shown me that you prefer calm, rational, respectful discussion, and when all's been said and done, I may very likely be using whatever addon manager your site produces. I have some questions about it, however, and as I feel comfortable bringing them to you, I'm going to ask them here.

1) As a WoWMatrix user, I have the ability to download and update mods without the hassle of logging in. I know it reflects well on a software producer when they have the ability to track how many people are using their software. If I use your product, will I have to logon in the application? If so, will there be some kind of "Remember Me" option I can check so I only have to click "Okay" to logon?

2) As a WoWMatrix user, I have enjoyed extremely minimalistic adverts. (Other WM users who haven't noticed them, I promise they're there. You haven't been advert-free this whole time. They really have been making money off your usage, no matter how little money they were actually generating.) I understand that in order to generate a quality addon manager and maintain the servers which support that manager, you need to have the adverts there. What kind of links, banners, pop-ups, or pop-unders can I expect when using your coming addon manager?

3) Can I look forward to an "Update All" function as a free user?

4) Will there be some functions available to paid users that aren't available to free users, or is your addon manager going to be equally simple for both sets of users?

5) Will Macintosh users with any form of MacOS on any hardware be able to use your addon manager?

Thank you, Cairenn, for being approachable with these questions. I'm not sure I have too many options if I have to leave WoWMatrix, but I like the thought that you're one of the options I have.

Respectfully,
Nate

PS @ Raethe: Dancing cheese ftw! ^^

I can’t answer your comments to Kaelten, obviously, so I’ll just leave those alone for him to respond to if he so wishes.

I think Shirik has answered your questions about our new updater (as indicated in the next one I’m quoting) but if he missed any, or if you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask again. We are rather crazy busy lately, as I’m sure you noticed , and as such we are ocassionally missing things.

For what it’s worth, all of us (WoWI staff) agree that Wowmatrix is a very nice little updater for the end-users, we’ve never disputed that at all. Just the manner in which they run it is the problem for us. We’re hoping that our new updater will be just as easy for our users when we get it done.

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
I personally think that observation was perfectly valid, whether it hurts your feelings or not. I don't know if you have been following this thread, but one of the common arguments WoWMatrix supporter like to throw out there, is that WoWMatrix actually generates more revenue for WoWI/Curse by users visiting through the "Visit addon page" or whatever the link is called. The fact that 99% of the WoWMatrix supporters in this thread created an account right after this happened, hints pretty strongly that the argument is invalid.

The new forum specifically for the WoWI updater is:
Vyper,

You're half-way there. I was not splitting hairs over the validity of the statement that all of us who prefer WM didn't create accounts or so much as look the direction of these communities until things began to... well, explode. I understand that when people experience something they don't like, they will typically grab onto whatever argument they can (no matter how erroneous it may be) in the name of trying to make themselves feel better or justified. I agree with you that WM could be stealing business away, and I agree fully with the idea that the issue with deep-linking and hosting without developer permissions is bad. I have never debated either of those things.

My issue with his statement lay solely in the implication that our protests lack validity on the basis that we haven't been in these communities. Correction: my issue with his statement lay solely in the implication that our protests lack validity for a reason that has nothing to do with the factual equity of our statements. If I'm going to be told my statements are invalid, I'd like to be shown why they're invalid strictly on the merit of their factuality (or lack thereof). I should not be categorically lumped in with a bunch of people making emotional arguments strictly because of my choice of software. That kind of perspective is irrational of its own accord and implies that an illogical set of biases are hard at work. It tells me that no matter what I say, it's going to be wrong, because I use WowMatrix. That is narrow-minded and absurd. Worse, for someone in his position on his site, it's entirely unprofessional. If he didn't represent Curse, I would care significantly less. In fact, I would likely shake my head and pay little attention to anything else he has to say. Unfortunately, I don't feel it's a good idea to do that, because for all intents and purposes, he's the face and voice of Curse, and if I am to keep a whole and objective perspective on these events, I need to see what Curse is doing. That means I need to pay close attention to what he says. What he is doing in making statements like that is a professional mistake, and I think it's only fair to note that.

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
Only premium users will be required to log in, and along with that, will only have to log in once. Non-premium users do not have to enter their login information.

Shirik,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions. What I've read on the site thus far has told me the software is still in its developmental stages, and I didn't want to annoy anyone with questions that may not be answerable, but I'm glad they were.

Those answers are extremely reassuring. They make good logical sense, and while it may not be the software I've enjoyed using for so long, it sounds like I can definitely get used to enjoying WI. Coming from WM, I'm very excited to see your addon manager when it is released, and if I like it, I'm going to tell my guilds about it since they're all currently using WM and don't know wtf to do. ><

Enthusiastically,
Nate
In the meantime, I know it isn’t a perfect solution for your guildmates, but you can point them to our old updater (information on how it works is here) and I’ve also told people how to set up their favourites lists, here.

Originally Posted by Nuwisha View Post
I'm now ashamed to say that I was a long time user of wowmatrix.... I was unaware of just how much bad stuff they were doing to wowinterface and curse.. and more importantly the addon authors... I thought it was just convenient since I had never been (and still am not) able to use the old updater from this site and as I'm running a Mac I was mostly out of luck with Curse until VERY recently. I look forward to the time when you have the new (awesome looking) updater available. I'm using the curse updater for now.. but only as long as it takes for yours to get up...

Much love and hope the programmer is doing well in grad school...
No need for you to be ashamed. You didn’t know. It was very convenient for end users, we agree completely with that. It’s just a shame that they never did stuff legitimately. If they had been legit from the get go, none of this would have happened. Frankly, we feel really bad for those users who just didn’t know and got messed up because of it, but we didn’t really have any other choice. But there’s still no reason for you to feel bad. Once you did find out, you stopped. We appreciate that, a lot. It’s those that, after finding out, still don’t care or who think we are somehow in the wrong that are driving us crazy. As far as you, and others like you … it’s all good.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-23-09 at 11:32 AM.
04-23-09, 11:38 AM   #768
helmhead
A Kobold Labourer
As long as there is an updater I am happy. I don't care about the legal stuff. Never have never will. I just like the convenience of having it automated. I will not use WM anymore if it is truly causing that much of a disruption. And my buddy will be happy because he can't even figure out how to navigate the directories in vista
04-23-09, 11:58 AM   #769
ymir3
A Murloc Raider
Just wanted to say I'm very impressed w/ the way Cairenn has handled Him/Her self on this thread. Everything I've seen has been level and logical and that's what I was hoping to see more of when I decided to post. I am very quickly becoming a fan of this site because the representative of this site is acting like a professional when it is hardest, but important to do so. I very much look forward to using any product you produce and hope that other sites admin that you are working with can take a moment to see your tact and use it also. It's refreshing to see soft skills at work in the tech world. Thank you for the time and care you've put into answering the posts that are real questions from concerned users that really just found out about this issue.

PS. What do I need to do to not be a murloc raider, I hate Murlocs.....

Last edited by ymir3 : 04-23-09 at 12:03 PM.
04-23-09, 12:08 PM   #770
Vyper

Just wanted to say I'm very impressed w/ the way Cairenn has handled Him/Her self on this thread. Everything I've seen has been level and logical and that's what I was hoping to see more of when I decided to post. I am very quickly becoming a fan of this site because the representative of this site is acting like a professional when it is hardest, but important to do so. I very much look forward to using any product you produce and hope that other sites admin that you are working with can take a moment to see your tact and use it also. It's refreshing to see soft skills at work in the tech world. Thank you for the time and care you've put into answering the posts that are real questions from concerned users that really just found out about this issue.
Yeah Cairenn rocks. But then I'm biased. I plan on eloping with her avatar.
04-23-09, 12:15 PM   #771
Gruffness
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
What I did when I was using WIU (I currently do all my updating manually) was to make use of the Favorite feature that WoWI has. Simple tag the mods you use as a Favorite (its just a quick click of a button). WIU will then retrieve your Favorites list making it real easy to keep tabs on the mods you use. Even though I manually update, I still find the Favorites feature on this site to be quite handy to keep track of the mods I use.
What's even easier is subscribing to the newsfeeds for one's favorites. I get an automatic list of every updated add-on displayed on my browser, no need for an updater (wish Curse did this).

Using a good reader utility/browser add-on helps a lot. I currently show 2 new changes down in bottom-right corner of Firefox via Brief. Looks like QuestClicks has been changed.
04-23-09, 12:19 PM   #772
Rhaethe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Short answer would be ..... Post More

Here's a recent and fun little thread concerning the posting titles ...

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21893

Back to topic, I manually update as well, and still use the Favorites feature. Not only to keep tabs on Addons that I use, but also ones that I aim on giving a trial run.

Last edited by Rhaethe : 04-23-09 at 12:24 PM.
04-23-09, 12:20 PM   #773
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin

(and it's "her", I'm female IRL too)

All of us are trying our best to be understanding to those that are just discovering this. I know that we all fail some times, it's been a very rough almost 2 weeks now (and it's actually been a very rough time for the community as a whole since 20 Mar, when Blizz announced their new UI AddOn Development Policy, so it's more than just two weeks, really). For those times that we have failed to be at our best, we do apologize. Fortunately or not, depending on your viewpoint, we're just human too and it's just as upsetting an issue for us as well.

As for getting rid of your murloc tag ... *grin*
04-23-09, 12:33 PM   #774
Gruffness
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by helmhead View Post
As long as there is an updater I am happy. I don't care about the legal stuff. Never have never will. I just like the convenience of having it automated. I will not use WM anymore if it is truly causing that much of a disruption. And my buddy will be happy because he can't even figure out how to navigate the directories in vista
One of the best things I ever did for updating my add-ons was to create shortcuts to my wowdownloads folder (I created wowdownloads as a sub-folder inside my Vista Downloads folder) and the addons folder on my desktop (Vista used to actually hide some of them under the old installer setup). I simply open the zips (like a folder) and drag the sub-folders to my addons window (opened folder) and drop them on an empty spot, being careful not to drop them in another addons sub-folder.

When performing major updates (like after a major patch), I often delete the old folders before copying the new to get rid of outdated files that wouldn't be normally overwritten. Then I simply sort my addon folder by date to remove all of the old, outdated folders after sufficient time has passed for those authors who still support their add-ons to update them. This tends to help me keep things neat and clean.

The tough part is remembering which old add-ons I've toc-edited (that still work) while waiting for an update.

Subscribing to the My Favorites newsfeed was the second best thing I ever did for updating my add-ons along with obtaining a newsfeed reader (I use Brief for Firefox). Every time something is changed, I see a message counter on the bottom right of my browser. How handy/cool/awesome is that?!?

Last edited by Gruffness : 04-23-09 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Clarification and style instead of quotation marks. Yikes!
04-23-09, 01:03 PM   #775
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Gruffness View Post
The tough part is remembering which old add-ons I've toc-edited (that still work) while waiting for an update.
Another reason why users shouldn't touch that number.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-23-09, 02:51 PM   #776
Chulamal
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I would just like to ask if we, the users who have become accustomed to WM, will be able to expect an updater from Curse and WI that will be able to update the few mods that are specifically hosted on one and not the other. While running two programs isn't hard, it is bothersome when there is one who does download from both, albeit illegally.
04-23-09, 02:52 PM   #777
corhen
A Kobold Labourer
ignored

As of this day, im being the voice of reason, and BOYCOTTING both WOWinterface and Curse's ads.

I am still going to DL from them, but without ads, they will lose money.

They have both decided that they are the only one worth making money, at expense of all others, and done a tormendously stupid thing

i hope they both run out of customers and die soon

Thanks, and goodby WoWinterface, i clicked on your adds while you allowed WoWMatrix, now, no more, i will get mine. i have spoken!
04-23-09, 03:00 PM   #778
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by corhen View Post
As of this day, im being the voice of reason, and BOYCOTTING both WOWinterface and Curse's ads.

They have both decided that they are the only one worth making money, at expense of all others, and done a tormendously stupid thing

Thanks, and goodby WoWinterface, i clicked on your adds while you allowed WoWMatrix, now, no more, i will get mine. i have spoken!
Another user who does not understand the meaning of community, nor do they care.
04-23-09, 03:02 PM   #779
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by corhen View Post

Ummmm... thats just... I would say "sad" but that doesn't feel descriptive enough. Hmmm...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-23-09, 03:11 PM   #780
Chulamal
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
Another user who does not understand the meaning of community, nor do they care.
While I agree he was out of line, and stupid, aren't you the guy who said that you don't care about the community who uses the add-ons and that they don't deserve to get support when they have issues, all because they use WM?

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users