06-04-09, 10:28 PM   #1521
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
That's not helping...

Jeez, at least come up with a "Rapunzel called..." comment or something for god's sake! You gotta get your GPA back up, I'm tellin ya!
My GPA is just fine tyvm. But it is 12:30am and i should be asleep.
06-04-09, 10:28 PM   #1522
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You say you write addons, authors get ad-free here (one of those things WoWI does that makes us love them). Last I checked it didn't work in Minionion yet, but I'm certain it's in the plans (I'm not a "site supporter" because I've never paid here either :P).
06-04-09, 10:30 PM   #1523
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
But all the posts of us saying the same thing, the costs they incurred us, the way they went around all of our blocks ... none of them make any difference?

I just really don't understand the way some peoples' minds work.

Whatever, I'm just glad you are finally able to see that there may perhaps be some valid points on our side.
06-04-09, 10:31 PM   #1524
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
You know, if I had the money I would actually pay to get that ad off, not just for me, but for everyone. That's how much I hate ads. There HAS to be a better way to do business on the internet...

Im about 90% convinced now guys....come on, one more thing should do it. One more thing and my "wrath" will be poured out on WM.....
06-04-09, 10:33 PM   #1525
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
You say you write addons, authors get ad-free here (one of those things WoWI does that makes us love them). Last I checked it didn't work in Minionion yet, but I'm certain it's in the plans (I'm not a "site supporter" because I've never paid here either :P).
*psst*
/me points at Tekkub's turquoise name

That's why you don't see ads
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-04-09, 10:34 PM   #1526
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
But all the posts of us saying the same thing, the costs they incurred us, the way they went around all of our blocks ... none of them make any difference?

I just really don't understand the way some peoples' minds work.

Whatever, I'm just glad you are finally able to see that there may perhaps be some valid points on our side.
You want to know why? Because I have 2 websites with unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage space, 2 mysql databases, 1000 emails, and a few other perks, for less than 100 bucks a year....that's why. If you don't believe me on that one, I'll give you the link to their packages! And I KNOW that you could host this site with the addons on their servers.
06-04-09, 10:34 PM   #1527
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by silentdabeast View Post
My GPA is just fine tyvm. But it is 12:30am and i should be asleep.
You've got potential, boy. I'll give ya that. But you're gonna have to train HARD to make it in the big leagues.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
06-04-09, 10:34 PM   #1528
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
I work for a certified anti-terrorism technology company. By supporting WoWInterface, you are supporting the free world.

Is that sufficient? ^_^
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
06-04-09, 10:35 PM   #1529
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
silentdabeast:

I second Cairenn's question. But I guess if you were biased against us in the first place, perhaps seeing it from the mouth of someone else is more like 2:1 instead of 1:1... /shrug

For your last 10%, how about you reread this thread again, knowing what you know now?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-04-09, 10:35 PM   #1530
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

There *were* pay-only addons, but Blizzy ended that. If you want to pay for the bandwidth, ads and donations/voulentary subscriptions are the only way. And donations don't work well (and Blizzy says you can't ask for them in game).

Ads suck, yes. I've managed to remove them from every portion of my life that I can... but you can't do anything about the people that are willing to look at them day in and day out, so why give yourself a headache over it?
06-04-09, 10:36 PM   #1531
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
You do! I don't! Is it because I'm not a "Featured Author"? *Sigh*

You know, if I had the money I would actually pay to get that ad off, not just for me, but for everyone. That's how much I hate ads. There HAS to be a better way to do business on the internet...

Im about 90% convinced now guys....come on, one more thing should do it. One more thing and my "wrath" will be poured out on WM.....
Ummm... they broke QuestHelper?

Seriously, at one point we spent about a month trying to track down an issue, just could reproduce it. Turns out WoWMatrix, trying to suppress a known, but harmless issue, broke our code. Only those who got QuestHelper through WoWMatrix had the problem. I'd provide you links, but finding anything more than a day old on the Curse comment pages are nigh impossible.
06-04-09, 10:36 PM   #1532
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
*psst*
/me points at Tekkub's turquoise name

That's why you don't see ads
Oh it's only FEATURED artists? well ****.... nevermind you're not special enough to get adfree, sorry.
06-04-09, 10:36 PM   #1533
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
You want to know why? Because I have 2 websites with unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage space, 2 mysql databases, 1000 emails, and a few other perks, for less than 100 bucks a year....that's why. If you don't believe me on that one, I'll give you the link to their packages! And I KNOW that you could host this site with the addons on their servers.
You're missing one problem: Your "unlimited site" is not a dedicated server, nor is it uncapped on CPU usage. On patch days, this site easily uses up the full potential of the (very numerous) cores on the boxes.

For some reason when people think about hosting sites, all they think about is bandwidth and storage. There is a reason that this is what all of the hosting agencies send through the roof -- this stuff is cheap and rarely used. On the other hand, the more important things (connection speed, CPU speed, RAM) is rarely advertised so openly.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
06-04-09, 10:37 PM   #1534
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
I work for a certified anti-terrorism technology company. By supporting WoWInterface, you are supporting the free world.

Is that sufficient? ^_^
Sorry...I'm a terrorist, so now ur down to 60%...and the sleepers in your town have just woken up

(i should be careful what i write..."they're" watching)
06-04-09, 10:37 PM   #1535
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
"Unlimited bandwidth" doesn't *really* mean "UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH!!!" If you used as much as WoWI or Curse use, they'd limit you fast.

06-04-09, 10:38 PM   #1536
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Unlimited isn't really unlimited:
http://www.findmyhosting.com/truthunlimited.htm

Edit:
Curses! Beaten to it! Twice! Ah well I'm the only one that provided a reference.
06-04-09, 10:40 PM   #1537
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
You're missing one problem: Your "unlimited site" is not a dedicated server, nor is it uncapped on CPU usage. On patch days, this site easily uses up the full potential of the (very numerous) cores on the boxes.

For some reason when people think about hosting sites, all they think about is bandwidth and storage. There is a reason that this is what all of the hosting agencies send through the roof -- this stuff is cheap and rarely used. On the other hand, the more important things (connection speed, CPU speed, RAM) is rarely advertised so openly.
I know about that too and i figured that would be the reply. If you don't mind me asking, what do you pay a month, and what are you getting for it?
06-04-09, 10:42 PM   #1538
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I know about that too and i figured that would be the reply. If you don't mind me asking, what do you pay a month, and what are you getting for it?
Dolby would know specifics for that (though not sure if he knows on costs). But he's away covering E3 for ZAM atm.

06-04-09, 10:42 PM   #1539
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

I'll give you one last thing for the 10%, then I'm out of this thread for the night.

Up until the last few months, they not only didn't give authors credit, they modified addon files that the client downloaded, REMOVING credits and donation links, changing the TOC number (something they shouldn't be doing), and in the worst cases, modifying the addon's code directly to change behavior or attempt to fix bugs. The client also changes wow settings and networking settings in Windows (I don't know about on mac). It does all of this WITHOUT the user's permission, knowledge, or giving them an option to disable it. The TOC changes are unnecessary, an option to toggle "load outdated" would solve that problem the correct way. The networking change is pointless as that issue is resolved by the game client on it's own. And of course, modifying code or doing things without telling the user or letting them disable it is just bordering on malware.
06-04-09, 10:42 PM   #1540
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

If no one else can get you to budge that last 10% (or 40, whatever) would you please do it for sweet lil ol me? Pretty please?

/roll up pants leg

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users