11-29-07, 02:52 AM   #1
Geck
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up Please Upload *Complete* 2.3 MazzleUI

i am blessed with a mac. This is wonderful except when updating the hundreds of folders of data that I don't want overwritten.

One night, I updated from the beginning, it took hours and indeed worked perfectly. I mazzified two of 8 toons and proceeded to do the final upgrade that had just hit the boards. Now I am unable to Mazzify my other toons and in my attempt to go back to prior state have jacked my addons folder up in some indefinable way.

My request is for a full and complete (60ish MB?) upload of the current working accumulation of MazzleUI.

My back up request would be a full upload of the last MazzleUI that allows successful Mazzification and a quick note about which addon is suggested to bring it up to final snuff. The back up request is with the hope that all that need be updated in the last shift is a few folders not the hundreds that are contained in the MazzleUI.

I appreciate the time you spent to read and respond to this post.

Cheers mates

Geck
11-29-07, 03:19 AM   #2
Morpheusdead
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Not going to happen Mazzle is quite the stubborn author. And would rather see his mod fall into complete obscurity rather than allow ANYONE else to host his complete mod. It's really quite laughable. Trust me I can see what you suggest makes absolutely PERFECT sense and I am sure thousands of others do as well. But heh tell that to Mazzle's Ego.
11-29-07, 06:13 AM   #3
tseven
A Kobold Labourer
I did this...

...but it was taken down by Mazzle's request.

I don't think it's an EGO issue, but rather it is a piece of software which he's poured hours into and it does have his name and reputation attached to it. So instead of having multiple compilations floating around which may or may not work properly, he's opted not to allow anyone else repackage his work.

I may work on a small app which will combine the folders for us mac users... if I do create something that is easy to use,. then I'll post it here for sure.

Until then,..
11-29-07, 08:53 AM   #4
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by tseven
...but it was taken down by Mazzle's request.

I don't think it's an EGO issue, but rather it is a piece of software which he's poured hours into and it does have his name and reputation attached to it. So instead of having multiple compilations floating around which may or may not work properly, he's opted not to allow anyone else repackage his work.

I may work on a small app which will combine the folders for us mac users... if I do create something that is easy to use,. then I'll post it here for sure.

Until then,..
Someone posted a script once for copying files on a Mac without deleting the previous folders. I don't know anything about Macs anymore, but you may want to check out what he did. It might be easier for you to implement something along those lines. It would also avoid the issue of asking people to download an executable.
11-29-07, 09:22 PM   #5
Geck
A Murloc Raider
Lightbulb Thanks for the responses....

I appreciate everyone for checking in on this topic, I think it is crucial for the vibrance of this UI longterm.

Scripts seem like an interesting way to accomplish the mac update process and they allow for easier, more casual observation by a user searching for maliciousness. I would welcome any link (intra wowinterface.com please) to a folder distribution script in this thread. Unfortunately, I personally feel that this is sidestepping the issue and in the longterm, leaving this monumental effort on a path towards dusty-neglect and bypassed by the current and future WoW community.

In my experience the MazzleUI is a singular, entertaining, and useful piece of work, both in its delivery and interface, and I would love to see it freshened and opened to "modern" access post 2.3

Currently, I am sure I need impress to no mac user, that the process of loading from 1.1 to update to update to update is laborious at best and a negation of all value inherent in Mazzlefizz's work at worst.

Mazzlefizz, I completely understand your reluctance to allow someone else to post (host) your complete mod in an updated form.

That said, would you allow updated, complete versions of your mod package to be sent to you for oversight and sign off, to then be posted, by you, as updated complete revision? (credit given to assistance of course)

A sort of editorial sign off and publish role I suppose.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond to this thread.

Cheers.

~Geck

Last edited by Geck : 11-29-07 at 09:28 PM.
11-29-07, 09:34 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Morpheusdead
Not going to happen Mazzle is quite the stubborn author. And would rather see his mod fall into complete obscurity rather than allow ANYONE else to host his complete mod. It's really quite laughable. Trust me I can see what you suggest makes absolutely PERFECT sense and I am sure thousands of others do as well. But heh tell that to Mazzle's Ego.
I don't think you've been following this subject. You see, the upkeep of a compilation of this size, fan-base, customization, etc, etc, takes A LOT of work and no one has volunteered to be its new maintainer, though Mazzle has offered it up before. But heh tell that to the stubborn masses who like to think that everything is easy and that Mazzlefizz is evil.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-30-07, 01:53 AM   #7
Morpheusdead
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Seerah
I don't think you've been following this subject. You see, the upkeep of a compilation of this size, fan-base, customization, etc, etc, takes A LOT of work and no one has volunteered to be its new maintainer, though Mazzle has offered it up before. But heh tell that to the stubborn masses who like to think that everything is easy and that Mazzlefizz is evil.
Actually Seerah I have been following it quite extensively in fact, As it is a passionate subject for me. :P And yes an author did step forward and volunteer to do just that, in fact they went ahead and did so. But it was quickly pulled right back down solely because Mazzle would NOT ALLOW it. Where I can see that technically it is full within Mazzle's rights to do so, there is also no good reason to be this way. Allowing someone else to take over the project all the while giving Mazzle full credit for the initial creation of the addon, would only serve to insure the most success and longevity of the mod.

As far as its got Mazzle's name on it blah blah so its his reputation on the line etc etc. Heh I don't agree on that point. Anyone with Half a mind would never blame the original author about future errors once it has moved on to Fan update/maintaining status. When you are talking about an addon so complex as a compilation, there are far too many folders etc. and opportunities for user error on install. Making the installation process even more complicated through making multiple patches/overwrites just to update the mod, only ensures the eminent downfall of this once great mod. It is not hard to understand that the more complicated and convoluted the install/upgrade process becomes, the more users will decide it's just not worth the trouble and move on. Which is very sad, you would think that Mazzle would understand that allowing someone to totally take over the mod and maintain/upgrade and continue development further, would only insure the ongoing success of the mod and that Mazzle's name would Live on. Instead his name will go down in history an an author that was such a control freak that he allowed his mod to completely die rather than endure someone else having any control over his creation. Most of the time when an author burns out and moves on they are quite glad to see their work live on and proud to see it move and grow away from them as a fan maintained mod. This is a testament to there skill that their original idea and work was such an inspiration that people did not wish to allow it to die. After all immulation IS the sincerist form of praise.

It is just sad to see this die, and anyone that doesn't think it will, based off of Mazzle's choices is just fooling themselves. I for one KNOW without a doubt that if I had spent so much time and passion developing something, my want would be for it to continue to live on as long as it could. It would make me proud to see my name live on through the efforts of another as a testament to my original design.

But anyway I sincerely doubt this will happen based off of the past and the knowledge of certain other things in the past. And how common Sense had to literally be hammered into Mazzle's head over something so trivial as a Mazzlegasm toggle, the entire community had to go up in arms and finally he had to be forced literally just to add it in, is testament to his supreme stubbornness. So actually this is all futile. Its not going to happen, users will surely dwindle away as the install process becomes more and more complicated and thus the addon will eventually die. /shrug

/rant off
11-30-07, 02:53 AM   #8
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Ill go down in history like that, eh? That's pretty dramatic. I can see it now, "World of Warcraft: An Early 21 Century Retrospective." You gotta love MMO hyperbole. Personally, I think this is a video game and World of Warcraft history in 50 years is gonna be more along the lines of :

Setting: A bunch of elderly people in an old folks home reminiscing about their youth.

Old person 1: "Hey do you remember when we were 20 and were obsessively playing that one video game, what was it called?"

Old person 2: "Hmm.."

Old person 3 : "umm..."

*someone accidentally farts*

Old person 2: "World of Craftwar!"

Old person 1: "Yeah, that's it!"

Old person 2: "Man, we used to spend 12 hours every day doing the same thing over and over just to farm virtual stuff."

Old person: "Yeah."

*group sigh*

*someone literally dies of regret*
I predict I'll be old person 3. The name of the game was/will be on the tip of my tongue!

Anyway...I'd check your /rant command. It doesn't seem to be ending your rants properly. You've made this skewed one several times already.
11-30-07, 03:00 AM   #9
Morpheusdead
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
Anyway...I'd check your /rant command. It doesn't seem to be ending your rants properly. You've made this skewed one several times already.
It's weird, It keeps toggling itself back on, on any reminder of its validity and reinforcement by other's oddly similar opinion's.

:P
11-30-07, 05:22 AM   #10
Darxon
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Pretty amusing to read all about Mazzle UI, imo there are alot of UI:s out there that are just as good as Mazzle was.
So just let it die in piece!

AND its not that hard to make your own ui btw
11-30-07, 06:29 AM   #11
Geck
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up

I am still all for an updated MazzleUI package to be uploaded, but it should be noted that Mazzlefizz assisted me in solving my Mac related hardships in the thread For Mac Users and the solution was a resounding success. Props to Detard and writer648 as well.

Cheers all and thanks for taking the time to read this here post.

~Geck

P.S. I am very thankful for the lip-biting Mazzlegasm, but I prefer screamers and moaners in RL, go figure.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Please Upload *Complete* 2.3 MazzleUI