10-14-07, 07:52 PM   #1
Morpheusdead
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
To the site admins...

You do know that only choosing premium PAID members for your little raffle there you are doing something illegal right? There is a very good reason why any company that holds a sweepstakes or contest has a "no purchase necessary" entry and that is if you only select from the people that buy your product then you are gambling or rather they are. You see gambling is defined as spending money on the chance to win something of value. So regardless of whether the price of the membership is dictated as being an entry or just for the site and the entry is a pleasant side effect it does not matter. Legally you are stating only paid members are eligible therefore only people who you have taken money from qualify for your little giveaway this is most definately considered gambling, I would encourage you to research this a little. Believe me I know I used to own a bar and got nailed on a very very similar point. Now I am not saying you will get caught or whining I am simply letting you know you ARE breaking the law and it only takes one jackass and one "BY THE BOOK" type to put a world of hurt on ya.( Oh and just because this is a website that doesn't matter if it is hosted in the US and you DONT HAVE A LICENSE FROM A STATE OR FEDERAL GAMBLING COMMISSION then its against the law UNLESS there is a no purchase necessary entry)

anyway /rant off

Look it up I am telling youthe truth
10-14-07, 08:11 PM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Hmmm, thanks for the info. I cant say I know for sure either way. I'll bring it up to our parent company. I know they do this type of thing on other sites I visit so didnt think much of it. Thanks for bringing this up.

Edit:

Again thanks for bringing this up. We have opened the rest of the contest to every one. I rather be on the safe side.

Last edited by Dolby : 10-14-07 at 08:48 PM.
10-20-07, 10:52 AM   #3
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Good Call.. But it would of been more suitable to PM an admin IMO.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » To the site admins...