10-30-07, 02:34 AM   #1
Rhothran
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Ease of Use

I'm just wondering if anyone else feels like the charm is gone. Am I on my own here? I love MazzleUI, don't get me wrong. Well... loved it... The best thing about it is that it was so incredibly simple. You throw the folders in, load up WoW, it asks you a couple questions, done! Things just worked. Now things have gotten more convoluted than most interfaces out there. Don't get me wrong, meio and others, I'm impressed and thankful that you've done what you've done, but it's hard to use and implement. After they've done all this work, how hard would it be for someone to put the patched Mazzleui into a single download package that you load up, and it works. I'd do it, heck, I tried to do it. But I can't get it to work properly. Little things like not being able to properly use the new autobar with it, and it not getting updates, are the things of a ui that I miss. MazzleUI no longer has those because it no longer has an owner. (No offense Mazzle, I don't mean to say that it's not yours, but you don't really seem to care about it anymore, that's all.) This had made it broken. And while the patches out there are appreciated, they don't come close to actually fixing it.

I'm not entirely sure what the point of this post is, mostly just to vent, I suppose. Vent and see if anyone else feels the same way as I do.
10-30-07, 07:55 AM   #2
Aygen
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

O.o ... its still like that.
10-31-07, 04:40 AM   #3
banjo
A Fallenroot Satyr
I had a few problems with getting Mazzle to work to starrt with, then I realised I needed to install the patch that Meio created. Funnily enough, all I had to do was actually read the forums, follow all the instructions, & I had a fully-functional, awesome Mazzle install with only a couple of issues:

1) On my druid, the stance bars don't change sometimes - reading the forum told me that this generally happens when you Mazzify in a form other than NElf/Tauren, & so that problem was solved.

2) The paging on bongos problem. Which would be an issue for me only on my hunter, & then only if I ever got into melee - which by playing the class properly, I don't.

So for those who say that Mazzle doesn't work - you're wrong. It may not work on your PC or Mac or whatever - but that is down to some settings at YOUR end. I've got the same game installed that everyone else has, if it works for me - it'll work for you.
10-31-07, 05:44 AM   #4
alan120880
An Aku'mai Servant

Well said

thats it

10-31-07, 07:30 PM   #5
Broken
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I find patchs to be a challenge and fun to try and find what is wrong and fix them. Mazzle UI is the best and none comes close, so worth the effort for me to fix what I can and read from others on their fixes.

P.S. How do I can a sig showing my character stats, lvl and what not?
10-31-07, 08:09 PM   #6
Broken
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

nvm, figured it out
11-01-07, 10:41 AM   #7
dunzer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'll have to agree, that it is still pretty easy to use. I don't how much easier it was prior to patch 2.2 cause I have only started using it after but, I didnt have any major problems getting it to work.

If you just pay a small bit of attention to the instructions, patches and come to the forums if there is something that creeps up u'll be fine.

Issue like the new autobar, I believe this issue is because the "new" autobar is a beta version and with proper use of your updater you can prevent issues such as these.

Also, I have never met a piece of software that didn't need to be patched. Do you buy a brand new tire if you get a flat or do you see if a patch will work?
11-01-07, 12:35 PM   #8
lilkanyon
A Defias Bandit
I love Mazzlefizz but I had to let it go, it is really designed for better systems then mine. Even cutting it to bare minimum yet still keeping some of the features I wanted, I tended to have serious frame rate issues in 25 mans and it really hurt my productivity. If you have a system that is already straining to keep up, this UI will probably not perform for you as it should.
11-01-07, 09:16 PM   #9
Rhothran
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Ok. So I am the only person who feels this way then. Fair enough.
11-02-07, 09:39 AM   #10
brujer
A Fallenroot Satyr
No, I feel the same way. Just tired of posting on the subject and I don't really check here much anymore. What's the point, it's dead. 2.3 comes out soon and this UI will be even more broken than it already is. It's a shame really. This really was the best UI that I've ever seen.
11-02-07, 11:50 AM   #11
obsidianblack
A Cobalt Mageweaver

That's funny cause if you actually follow the directions on the forums This UI isn't broken at all any more. The only error i get any more is an error for fubar auto loot. I suggest all the people *****ing about things being broken, actually read the forums and instructions. Cause at this point nothing is broken any more.
11-02-07, 05:23 PM   #12
Broken
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by brujer
No, I feel the same way. Just tired of posting on the subject and I don't really check here much anymore. What's the point, it's dead. 2.3 comes out soon and this UI will be even more broken than it already is. It's a shame really. This really was the best UI that I've ever seen.
Broken? What is broken?

My UI works just fine with zero errors, but I guess it is easier to complain then to read for fixes. If you say that it is the best UI out there, then read up on the fixes, they are easy. You say there is no substitute , but yet you are going to anyways?

Tell me a UI out that that works fine 100% of the time through every patch. Please?
11-02-07, 05:56 PM   #13
Alkar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Broken
Broken? What is broken?

My UI works just fine with zero errors, but I guess it is easier to complain then to read for fixes. If you say that it is the best UI out there, then read up on the fixes, they are easy. You say there is no substitute , but yet you are going to anyways?

Tell me a UI out that that works fine 100% of the time through every patch. Please?

i agree i am error free also cept when im on my hunter but even still small little errors that dont mean crap. all these people having problems and i dont understand why i have had no problems since mieu and the others here started the fixes. Search works great. apply the fixes and go from there should be perfectly fine
11-02-07, 05:58 PM   #14
Alkar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by obsidianblack
That's funny cause if you actually follow the directions on the forums This UI isn't broken at all any more. The only error i get any more is an error for fubar auto loot. I suggest all the people *****ing about things being broken, actually read the forums and instructions. Cause at this point nothing is broken any more.

there is an updated auto loot to so that error is gone also it is somewhere here on the downloads
11-02-07, 06:12 PM   #15
obsidianblack
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Alkar
there is an updated auto loot to so that error is gone also it is somewhere here on the downloads
Really? ... thanx i had just lived with it, it didn't really bother me. But since there is a fix, i'll do a search tonight. Thank you for the heads up
11-02-07, 08:17 PM   #16
Morpheusdead
An Aku'mai Servant

The OP is absolutely correct !!

I too have a virtually perfect working install of MazzleUI atm. Through patient forum surfing and my own changes and research all the errors are gone and everything is working fine. However as so many of you are just being Pro-Mazzle woo-hoo WTH ever. You are completely missing the OP's point. The point for those of you with low reading comprehension skills is this.

MazzleUI was originally intended to be as user friendly as possible everything was done automatically; you simply downloaded the file, put it in the proper place, started the game, logged into your toon, and answered a few questions and BAM. You got a really great, fully functional, error free UI, with all the bells and whistles you could dream of.

Now the current state of affairs.
1) Download MazzleUI
2) Download the Patch
3) Download my patch for duf
4) Download the BC spells patch
5) Spend countless hours researching and combing the forums for fixes
6) Edit LUA files your self
7) Get the point yet ??????

The UI at this state of affairs is a failure in what it was originally meant to be. What was once a wonderfully put together absolutely user friendly (dummy proof almost) UI is now a NIGHTMARE for a non lua familiar player. If you are not intimately familiar with editing LUA code and proper file folder substructure (getting things into the right place) then you are going to have a hell of a time with this UI atm. This is basically in my eyes and I am sure many others a complete turn off.

I am actually one of the ones who tried to help and tracked down a lot of these errors and even submitted fixes. It's not that I can't do it, I can and I would have regardless. What I am talking about is the player that can't do this on their own, or rather have no experience in doing so. It was those users that this UI was made so user friendly for in the first place. All you people that are having no problems like myself GRATZ to you! Take a bow and congratulate yourself. Now, step down of your high horse and realize there are some who struggle with this UI now and this does not make them inferior, like you are making them feel I am sure. If this UI had had an Absentee Author from the start and was not maintained and the community was forced to fix it themselves from the start I can GUARANTEE it would not have made it this far in fact it would have been swept aside long ago and no one would be talking about MazzleUI at all.

Now the next thing I am about to say I am quite sure will not go over well at all.
Oddly enough the person we have to thank for the current state of the UI is the same person who was responsible for the success of the UI, Mazzle himself or herself (Who knows referred to as both on these boards). I am sure many of you will say many Pro-Mazzle things to this. Blah blah you should be happy you have it to start with: Blah blah it’s his (her) UI to do with what they wish etc etc. That is all a load of hogwash sorry. There is absolutely no good reason to have struggled this long on the decision to continue the project or not, NONE. You either want to or you don’t its that simple. If you want to then do so or at the very least let people know your intentions. If you do not then do the responsible thing find someone to carry it on (I am quite sure there are more than a few willing authors to turn it over to). DO NOT just string people along and continue to troll the forums to be witty and snappy and sarcastic and DELETE posts like you have so many of mine. You are completely insulting the rather huge fan base that has followed the development of the mod for a long time. You are in essence telling them THEY DON’T MATTER. It doesn’t matter in Mazzle's eyes how hard it is for you to configure or use the UI. It doesn’t matter to Mazzle if the project goes on or not! He or she is no longer concerned about your ease of play or anything really. If they were they would have done the responsible thing for the UI and the community and left gracefully while insuring the project would continue. But instead they have done the selfish thing and shunned your begging and pleading for at least some news or answers and not offered to step aside but I think is intentionally killing the project out of personal feelings. This is a horrible example of an author badly abusing their fans imho.

All I want is the project to continue under a RESPONSIBLE author which Mazzle has ceased to be. I am sure someone would be willing if Mazzle would just step up to the plate and do what is needed.

/Rant off

P.S. I fully expect this to be censored as Mazzle has done on MULTIPLE occasions to my posts. If you happen to feel the same way or at least understand I would encourage you to say so. It’s harder to censor a whole community than one person.

Last edited by Morpheusdead : 11-02-07 at 08:21 PM.
11-02-07, 10:01 PM   #17
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Morpheusdead
I too have a virtually perfect working install of MazzleUI atm. Through patient forum surfing and my own changes and research all the errors are gone and everything is working fine. However as so many of you are just being Pro-Mazzle woo-hoo WTH ever. You are completely missing the OP's point. The point for those of you with low reading comprehension skills is this.

MazzleUI was originally intended to be as user friendly as possible everything was done automatically; you simply downloaded the file, put it in the proper place, started the game, logged into your toon, and answered a few questions and BAM. You got a really great, fully functional, error free UI, with all the bells and whistles you could dream of.

Now the current state of affairs.
1) Download MazzleUI
2) Download the Patch
3) Download my patch for duf
4) Download the BC spells patch
5) Spend countless hours researching and combing the forums for fixes
6) Edit LUA files your self
7) Get the point yet ??????

The UI at this state of affairs is a failure in what it was originally meant to be. What was once a wonderfully put together absolutely user friendly (dummy proof almost) UI is now a NIGHTMARE for a non lua familiar player. If you are not intimately familiar with editing LUA code and proper file folder substructure (getting things into the right place) then you are going to have a hell of a time with this UI atm. This is basically in my eyes and I am sure many others a complete turn off.

I am actually one of the ones who tried to help and tracked down a lot of these errors and even submitted fixes. It's not that I can't do it, I can and I would have regardless. What I am talking about is the player that can't do this on their own, or rather have no experience in doing so. It was those users that this UI was made so user friendly for in the first place. All you people that are having no problems like myself GRATZ to you! Take a bow and congratulate yourself. Now, step down of your high horse and realize there are some who struggle with this UI now and this does not make them inferior, like you are making them feel I am sure. If this UI had had an Absentee Author from the start and was not maintained and the community was forced to fix it themselves from the start I can GUARANTEE it would not have made it this far in fact it would have been swept aside long ago and no one would be talking about MazzleUI at all.
I'd actually agree with most of that. It is broken. I didn't even release version in closed beta that were as hard to get working as it seems to be nowadays. That said, I would hardly characterize it as a "failure" as you said. It's no more a failure than the original Discord Action Bars was a failure; it doesn't work well now, but it was great back when the Lozareth was spending his time on it. He's choosing not to now, but I'm thankful that he did at the time. Even though there is no credibly-maintained version, I would characterize DAB as a glowing success, not a failure.

Another thing to remember about this whole "broken" thing is that the nature of what makes MazzleUI unique is also what makes it brittle and hard to maintain. There are a billion UI's that come out and they don't try to do what it does. Is it because it's technically difficult? Nope. It isn't at all. It's just a work-intensive pain in the ass to make and test something that handles that many details and permutations of setups in a general way. It's also dependent on the data structures of other add-ons which makes it brittle. It's just the nature of this particular beast.

And, frankly, I'm pleased with the efforts people like Meio, Fryre, Detritus and others have made to keep it working. New people are still picking up the UI, which I think says it's still functioning. The ease of setup part is compromised, but the coherency aspect of it is still almost as good as it was. I suspect many of the add-ons are losing relevancy, but no matter...

Now the next thing I am about to say I am quite sure will not go over well at all.
Oddly enough the person we have to thank for the current state of the UI is the same person who was responsible for the success of the UI, Mazzle himself or herself (Who knows referred to as both on these boards). I am sure many of you will say many Pro-Mazzle things to this. Blah blah you should be happy you have it to start with: Blah blah it’s his (her) UI to do with what they wish etc etc. That is all a load of hogwash sorry.
I don't think what they say is hogwash. Thanks for saying that stuff, everybody else! I appreciate it.

There is absolutely no good reason to have struggled this long on the decision to continue the project or not, NONE. You either want to or you don’t its that simple.
I disagree. A person can want to do something but have reasons why they can't or shouldn't. (For example, they could want to do it, but they're not sure if they have time. They could want to do it but then the people who said they'd make web sites for it all flaked out. Etc. etc.) It really shouldn't be all that difficult to imagine how someone can face pros and cons in a decision. It's really pretty common.

And you simply saying there is no possible reason is an absolutely content-free statement. I have reasons. You may not like them or have a hard time believing them, but they exist nonetheless. (btw, you probably should have ended with "END OF STORY" or "PERIOD", people who make content-free diatribes love to do that. That was a pretty good "it's simple as that", though.)

If you want to then do so or at the very least let people know your intentions. If you do not then do the responsible thing find someone to carry it on (I am quite sure there are more than a few willing authors to turn it over to). DO NOT just string people along and continue to troll the forums to be witty and snappy and sarcastic and DELETE posts like you have so many of mine.
If you don't want to play in a moderated forum with rules, don't. There are plenty out there where any kiddie can say whatever they want. WoWInterface isn't one of them. As a result, WoWInterface doesn't devolve into a cesspool like some of those other places do from time to time.

(But thank you for saying I'm witty and snappy.)

You are completely insulting the rather huge fan base that has followed the development of the mod for a long time. You are in essence telling them THEY DON’T MATTER. It doesn’t matter in Mazzle's eyes how hard it is for you to configure or use the UI. It doesn’t matter to Mazzle if the project goes on or not! He or she is no longer concerned about your ease of play or anything really.
Most of the add-ons I used, I did not write. As such, I enjoyed the benefits of the generosity of other authors, just as you may have enjoyed the benefits of my efforts. If they quit and completely disappeared without saying a word, like many of them actually did over the years, they would owe me nothing. I'd say thanks for letting me play with your cool toys and good luck. It was fun while it was lasted. (like DAB)

I would NOT think that their choice to not continue was a statement about how much they cared about me. That's just retarded. Only a person with a bloated sense of self-entitlement, who thinks the world revolves around them, would come to that conclusion.

If they were they would have done the responsible thing for the UI and the community and left gracefully while insuring the project would continue. But instead they have done the selfish thing and shunned your begging and pleading for at least some news or answers and not offered to step aside but I think is intentionally killing the project out of personal feelings. This is a horrible example of an author badly abusing their fans imho.
*boggle* Yep, I take great joy in abusing fans. All the countless hours I spent was just an alley-oop for this final chapter of joyous abuse. Woohoo!

(btw, I don't take donations any more. Please just send me bottles of your tears.)

All I want is the project to continue under a RESPONSIBLE author which Mazzle has ceased to be. I am sure someone would be willing if Mazzle would just step up to the plate and do what is needed.
Yes, the problem here is that I am standing in the way of a slew of authors who want to take over this extremely time-intensive project. They were going to make something similar from scratch before, but I blocked them from doing that too. Right, right.

By the way, even if there were people who wanted to fully take it over, I would have no issue with reserving the right to keep control of it. That's the right any one of us gets when make something. The fact that you like to use it doesn't grant you any entitlement.

P.S. I fully expect this to be censored as Mazzle has done on MULTIPLE occasions to my posts. If you happen feel the same way or at least understand I would encourage you say so. It’s harder censor a whole community one person.
Well, on this you are finally correct. I totally took out all the prepositions from the last two sentences. I found them offensive in their kinky word-relating ways.

Last edited by Mazzlefizz : 11-02-07 at 11:58 PM.
11-03-07, 12:14 AM   #18
Morpheusdead
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz

Yes, the problem here is that I am standing in the way of a slew of authors who want to take over this extremely time-intensive project. They were going to make something similar from scratch before, but I blocked them from doing that too. Right, right.
Have you ever asked if anyone wanted to? Or for that matter even hinted you would allow it? I can answer that it's NO.

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz

By the way, even if there were people who wanted to fully take it over, I would have no issue with reserving the right to keep control of it. That's the right any one of us gets when make something. The fact that you like to use it doesn't grant you any entitlement.
Talk about a sense of entitlement. What is the purpose of maintaining a strangle hold on this UI? You don't want to maintain it but you don't want anyone else to either. I mean WTH. And maintain control of it WHY????? You have shown you don't care this is just your ego here, LET IT GO. This is why no one has taken it over and Fan updated it we can all tell you would throw a fit. You need to just offer it up to someone to take over and walk away you obviously don't care about the community. You don't even play the game anymore, how exactly is it going to hurt you to just hand it over and walk away? A good example is when meio offered to make the patch why in the hell didn't you let him access the main file to update it properly instead of making an optional patch? I mean why do you have to maintain control of something you could care less about at this point? Is it just your ego?
11-03-07, 01:07 AM   #19
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Thumbs down

This is just so much drama it is not even funny anymore

Are we still talking about a game user interface, or are we discussing the meanings of life and society?
11-03-07, 01:13 AM   #20
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I've addressed all your points, and now you're just throwing out a bunch of angry conjecture. You don't know anything about who I talked to what I talked about, or really anything for matter. Your opinions are completely uninformed and hold little weight. I think you're just ranting because you can't have what you want.

Talk about a sense of entitlement.
No, that's not a sense of entitlement. It's called actual entitlement. A (false) sense of entitlement is your repeated suggestion that I have some sort of responsibility or obligation to you.

While I'm sure you'll always find something to rant about, I suggest you just go switch to another UI from someone who shares your development philosophy.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Ease of Use