02-17-08, 10:36 PM   #41
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
<-- just left

02-21-08, 01:58 PM   #42
notadamnthng
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
its like going to baskin robins you get a free tast test on what ice cream and flavor you want then you pay for your choice that you make nothing wrong with that and besides your not paing for the program you just paying for the subscription to their website and in turn you get the full version at least that was my understanding of things ???

02-22-08, 01:32 AM   #43
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Basically you had the right idea. Get your free sample (in this case a sample that doesnt get used up) and buy in to it if you like it. Though you are in fact paying for a full version of the mod. Yes you get access to the site in the process but your money goes to development and support.

That being said While i may disagree with the spirit of this whole notion i will say that to each her/his own. It just puts more pressure/incentive on the creators to churn out a quality product.

Hopefully they do and people get their monies worth. In the end people want their dollar value (and in most cases would like to see more than the value) and if they dont get it the developers at carbon will have to either up the quality or lose the customer.

In the end the decision to pay or not is personal. If what is available here does what it claims with no nag screens offering the full service or some limited time trial then i say let it be.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

04-15-08, 08:45 AM   #44
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Flarin View Post
I for one support this type of model. I am willing to pay for excellent mods that are updated.
I would never pay for a WoW addon. At least, not for Carbonite Quest. The map appears to work well, but the Carbonite addons look... it's just awful.

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
I feel obligated to point out two things:
Lua is not an acronym; it is a Portugese word that means "moon." (Sorry, Lua's on a "Write Lua Right" campaign and I'm pitching in )
Are you portuguese or are you a dedicated searcher?

04-15-08, 08:59 AM   #45
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by anova View Post
I have tried the demo version of this mod, and I think it is remarkable and shows great promise. The developers are responsive, and I support them making money off their work (although if all mods followed the same business model it would get prohibitively expensive quickly...)

What bothers me about the mod it that once you install it it is a bit of a bully. The demo version quite purposefully breaks several other popular mods (gatherer, lightheaded, atlas), and they will not work in conjunction with Carbonite unless you pay for it. Now certainly many mods out there do not work together, but as far as I know this is never done ON PURPOSE. They have the ability to make it work, but they don't - not for free. To my mind, this can only be viewed as competitive, mercenary, and community-breaking. Certainly it is the choice of the consumer as to what they buy, but I can see the point that this mod does not play well with others and is not in the spirit of community development.

I think the business model is worth a try, but I do feel like the mod is approaching things in the wrong way, and ought to work with the community, not against it. Additional features for a fee sounds fine, but breaking other mods on purpose just doesn't sit well with me.

I normally don't reply to a post like that unless I feel passionately about the issue. The mudslinging at Carbonite is a topic that I feel passionately about... and when I get passionate about something I normally end up getting in trouble. So, I will try my best to choose my words wisely.

Your cold hard proof of this is..... where??? I'm not interested in LUA errors or Bugsack errors. I want the cold hard proof that the creators made Carbonite so that it would break those addons on purpose.

Somehow I think you either didn't install something correctly, or you are experiencing innocent bugs with one or a few of the mods.

In the meantime I'm going to wait for your proof.

04-15-08, 09:14 AM   #46
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by jaliborc View Post
Are you portuguese or are you a dedicated searcher?
Neither. I can't speak for shirik, but what he said, and you quoted, that was one of the first things I read on the first lua website I visted. http://www.lua.org/about.html

edit: and I agree with Silenia
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-15-08, 10:10 AM   #47
bspaans
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Your cold hard proof of this is..... where??? I'm not interested in LUA errors or Bugsack errors. I want the cold hard proof that the creators made Carbonite so that it would break those addons on purpose.
that's pretty much impossible, since they obscure the code....

Personly i got nothing against the addon being on this site, but it should be clear in the addon info that it is a limited version, and that the code is obsured so people can make their own choice based on that...

04-15-08, 12:37 PM   #48
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by bspaans View Post
that's pretty much impossible, since they obscure the code....

Personly i got nothing against the addon being on this site, but it should be clear in the addon info that it is a limited version, and that the code is obsured so people can make their own choice based on that...

Unless Anova, or anyone else for that matter, can prove his/her claim that the programmers coded the software to break the mods in question on purpose, I can and will do nothing else but consider it as a false accusation from someone who did not install the addons properly, or has not updated the addons to their latest versions.

By the way... I moved my Interface and WTF folders to my desktop, deleted my Cache folder, installed the latest versions of all of the mods in question (Gatherer, Lightheaded, Atlas, and Carbonite Quest) and have been playing since the servers came back up. Not a single error in Bugsack and all the mods are working as they should be. I have no other mods installed accept those he/she mentioned with the acception of Bugsack.

I refuse to debate the rest as it's a dead horse and not worth discussion.

04-15-08, 06:20 PM   #49
Llivavin
A Black Drake
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Unless Anova, or anyone else for that matter, can prove his/her claim that the programmers coded the software to break the mods in question on purpose, I can and will do nothing else but consider it as a false accusation from someone who did not install the addons properly, or has not updated the addons to their latest versions.

By the way... I moved my Interface and WTF folders to my desktop, deleted my Cache folder, installed the latest versions of all of the mods in question (Gatherer, Lightheaded, Atlas, and Carbonite Quest) and have been playing since the servers came back up. Not a single error in Bugsack and all the mods are working as they should be. I have no other mods installed accept those he/she mentioned with the acception of Bugsack.

I refuse to debate the rest as it's a dead horse and not worth discussion.
i would assume you paid for it. and this guy said that he has the demo version.

btw, it's not hard to install an addon it's just a drag and drop so seeing as anova has had his acount since 2007 i would assume he can install addons right.

but we shall see.

edit:

i do know for a fact that it does make opening up cartogropher a pain in the ass. - which they fixed-

No it doesn't break lightheaded or anyother questing addon i have

final result anova is a noob.

Last edited by Llivavin : 04-15-08 at 06:31 PM.

04-15-08, 07:51 PM   #50
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
So this is a pretty much dead discussion, but I feel like some of this needs saying:

Originally Posted by Tweeker View Post
Since the admins have permitted this ::

A lot more people are going to be doing this for money, and more than likely the very same people that used to do it for pride and generosity.
No they won't, and even if they do they better hope like hell it's an amazing addon otherwise they just made a major time sink in a failing business. Bottom line is you have to make sure you offer constant support and updates as well as producing an outstanding addon that can rival the free addons.

Your addon better NEVER be broken and NEVER be behind in patch fixes. You also better hope I, and everyone else that is going to pay for this addon, can download it (or it's updates) whenever I need to, even on major patch releases because THAT is what you are paying for, not the source code.

Finally, it costs $5.99 for for 6 months to get the full version, which doesn't offer anything except enchantments to the free version. I realize that's a HUGE money sink on anyone who has the $15/m to pay for a video game and all.

Last edited by septor : 04-15-08 at 07:54 PM.

04-15-08, 08:00 PM   #51
Broh
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Tweeker View Post
<-- just left
Don't let the door hit you in the keester...

your negativity on comments and posts just drags people down.

sorry you cannot see that for yourself.

Cordially,

Broh

04-15-08, 08:51 PM   #52
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Alright, alright. That's enough of this. This topic (which had been silent and finished for nearly two months) is now locked. Nothing new is coming out of it. Sorry, folks.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Carbonite Quest