08-29-08, 04:10 PM   #41
Drazzii
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by TomWolf View Post
FarscapeGrl: Not sure you are allowed to submit someone elses work. Atleast not if he has entered in the competition himself. Other then that, it's a question many gnomes have asked themselves. **
I thought I would just point out that I'm the "hubby" and I let her know of the contest and she wanted me to draw the comic for her. As I've already got a couple myself (and possibly more on the way!) I have no problem with her entering it and takin' the credit. It was all her idea, I just did the line art.
08-29-08, 04:45 PM   #42
Silh
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Silh: I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you are an addon author stuck in lua... good idea and all coders and UI freaks will recognise themselves. ****
Yeeeep! Though it was only 3am when I hit that bug, not 4am as I drew it .

Thanks for the comments.

The comics about addons obscuring your view particularly tickle me, since I've always had a battle between more info and good visibility...
08-29-08, 06:12 PM   #43
Iolanthe
An Aku'mai Servant

Iolanthe: Good one. I enjoyed this both idea wise and graphics. Liked how you used the loading background mixed with penciltype graphics. ****
Thanks! I actually had it sketched and inked, then had a bout of insanity after scanning, and re-'inked' it in adobe illustrator. It actually came out pretty well for a brief insanity idea. I'm very glad you liked!
08-29-08, 09:57 PM   #44
Sylvann
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Screenshots are okay
wish i read this thread before making mine :-/ pasting some text bubbles over a screenshot woulda been a lot easier then actually drawing something and using our own work like the original post said :-/

Oh well, shame on me for not doing more research (reading this thread) best of luck to everyone!
08-29-08, 10:03 PM   #45
Sylvann
A Murloc Raider
Sylvann: Loved the idea behind this. That's how I felt when I got to try the beta. The art leaves some to wish for though. **
Yeah, i thought the idea was good too, i took a long hot bath to come up with an idea and thats what i wound up at. The artwork isnt the best, gogo ms paint! Ive never really been good artistically but after weeks of waiting for a beta key i figured i'd be more proactive and give it a shot. Anywho, it may be lacking artistically, but its my best

Yours is pretty good, i liked how accurately captured maidens room instead of using a direct SS copy like others did. ... also "sod it" isnt that an aussie or british term? think i heard it on "Balls of steel" an aussie show.
08-30-08, 12:07 AM   #46
celebi23
A Murloc Raider
celebi23: Even though I enjoyed the comic it fails to follow the rules of the competition. It doesn't have anything to do with UI or addons. + (*** is the rating I'd give outside of the competition)
Thanks for the reminder. I had a layer in Photoshop with some text in it that I had deselected by accident (huge pic, never noticed it when previewing it). Fixed version up now
08-30-08, 01:44 AM   #47
Howlsatmoonlight
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Sylvann View Post
pasting some text bubbles over a screenshot woulda been a lot easier then actually drawing something and using our own work like the original post said :-/
I agree with Dimencia, screenshot modding is an art unto itself. My entry composed of screenshots actually took much longer, and a lot more effort than my first entry, which was drawn in Paint Shop Pro. Ever try running around WoW taking 10-20 screenshots just to edit them together to create a goblin computer, powered by a rat?

I have seen several excellent entries, be they hand drawn, CGI, or a compilation of screenshots. Just because an entry is comprised of edited screenshots, don't immediately assume that no work went into it.
08-30-08, 08:03 AM   #48
Sylvann
A Murloc Raider
i wasnt exactly complaining about people with the SS version arts, i was simply uninformed and suprised that it was an accepted form, and wished i had known it sooner to participate in such a form, and i wasnt saying what you folks did with it wasnt work filled, but how i would have used ss art wouldnt have.

Last edited by Sylvann : 08-30-08 at 08:07 AM.
08-31-08, 09:25 AM   #49
TomWolf
A Fallenroot Satyr
I thought I'd leave comments on the last entries as well.

Bouvi: Best entry from you. *** (perhaps a fourth * as well) You save the strained link to addons with the "hellfire" part.

Duugu: I take it this is satire of some sort. Good art, personally didn't find the joke funny...might have just not gotten it though. **

Chauronity: This is called kissing up big time. *

Eberict: Not quite cartoony enough for my taste in a cartoon competition but I do like the humor since I've seen it happen as well. Not quite the last second like that but we went for loot for a guildmate and did the instance 7 times that night just for him...about 10 sec before the boss went down the 7th time he went offline, the boss dropped what he needed and we waited for 20 min before giving up. Five minutes later he came back online. **

Drazzii: Nice art, nice punchline. The "over the shoulder" set up is getting old but that's not your fault =) ****

TS_CTMod: Had this idea as well. I like it. Something with the flow doesn't feel quite right. The part where he stands naked and says "Uh oh" gives away the joke to early...kinda takes away from the punchline effekt. Like telling a joke "One tomatoe said to the other 'Come on, catch up' after they crossed the streat and the other tomatoe got hit by a car."

Zirconium176: This entry feels a bit lazy to be honest. Omen is not known to save anyone, I would like a build up before a comment like that, the art is not terrible good, no protagonist visible. Sorry, just doesn't do it for me. -

chauronity: Not a great fan of the "let's promote wowinterface and get a key" theme that many entries have but you had a pretty funny punch there. ***

Drazzii: Not for me. I think that the idea of "if only I had an addon I could have..." is good enough. I miss some personality in the characters or something to make the comic stand out a bit though. *

lockman: Another "if only..." comic. You have great art in yours and get some extra points for that. The language isn't great in the speech bubbles though wich stops this comic from being great. ***

--------------------------
Edit: Removed a comment I made in error.

KiraDouji: To confusing, good idea. **

Hanakabo17: Can't read it so I can't comment. -

chauronity: Nice idea, funny graphics. A bit to confusing, took me a while to get the punchline since I had to read all that text wich wasn't totally obvious. Perhaps have that text somewhere earlier? **

THUNDER_CHILD: Good idea but feels very rushed. Something that goes for many of these late entries. *

Arathius: Would have liked to see more. Not quite funny enough for a 1 square comic in my humble opinion. **

AcidRain: Good idea but could use some more work to get the flow right. A bit to obvious in the text eg. "not even mods can make you..." **

Drazzii: Very unclear image. Takes to long to see what the image is of wich takes away from the punchline effect. +

celebi23: I'm a big fan of murlocs so outside of the scope of the competition your murloc comics get ****

Undel: This is a great entry through and through, in my opinion totally worth a win. *****

Vryce00: Great art, good idea. I do miss something to make the punshline a bit more clear. Good entry none the less ***½

Guillotine: Wasn't for me. One or two good jokes in there though.

Psychophan7: Again a comic wich feels like sarcasm against players using addons in a competition on an addon site. So, not fan of the theme but other then that it's a good comic. ***

MoongazeMods: Interesting idea, good enough character art. I really like the "was it good for you too?" smoke at the end. ***

Now, good luck to all the entries. I promice I won't begrudge anyone winning, even if I don't agree =) I'll be happy for any and every one of those who wins. This is a great community =)

Tomwolf

Last edited by TomWolf : 08-31-08 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Bad statement by me =)
08-31-08, 09:41 AM   #50
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I belive that entries after this point are to later to be considered but that's not up to me. Personally, after the competition at curse, I hope that wowinterface sticks to the rules they set up. Less people feeling they lost unfairly. That said I'm fine either way. One entry after this point is good enough for me to be totally fine with some rule bending.
Would you mind explaining to me what on earth you are talking about?

The rule you are referring to:
Submission deadline is 11:59pm pacific, Fri, 29 Aug, 2008.
The timestamp of me closing the thread:
12:02 AM
So the reason why the rest of the entries shouldn't be allowed is ... ?
08-31-08, 09:53 AM   #51
TomWolf
A Fallenroot Satyr
I'm sorry Cairenn, I was wrong. I thought I had my forum time stamps changed to pacific but I didn't. =) I'm very glad I was wrong as well =) Thanks for pointing my error out for me =) Shouldn't have dobted you. My original post is now edited.

Last edited by TomWolf : 08-31-08 at 09:57 AM.
08-31-08, 10:13 AM   #52
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
*Grins at TomWolf*
08-31-08, 11:07 AM   #53
Arathius
A Fallenroot Satyr
Arathius: Would have liked to see more. Not quite funny enough for a 1 square comic in my humble opinion. **
I agree, as I said in the post it wasn't anything like I wanted it to be, it was supposed to be at least a 2 square comic with at least one other character, I guess I just put too much time into trying to make it look better than the last one.
08-31-08, 11:34 AM   #54
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Psychophan7: Again a comic wich feels like sarcasm against players using addons in a competition on an addon site. So, not fan of the theme but other then that it's a good comic. ***
There were originally supposed to be two more panels that would have made it about someone UI heavy and the other using no addons, but I ran out of space (I thought I had room for 4 rows, but it was only 3!) and time.
08-31-08, 11:44 AM   #55
LittleWhiteDove
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Thumbs up

Cheers and congratulations

I have just re-read every one of the comics for about the 15th time. I think it is fantastic - the number of people who took the time to enter the contest. I wish you could all win and I am very, very glad that I do not have to make the choice.

Congratulations to all of you. I think you are all winners
08-31-08, 02:29 PM   #56
Vryce00
A Defias Bandit
TomWolf,

Thanks for the comments. I agree that my comic could have use another panel. In fact I had one but it didn't make it in. I was told about the contest around 3pm and between work and having to borrow a comp with a working version of photoshop I was luck to make the deadline at all. I had planned on a third panel of Illidan with the cat rubbing against his leg. I wasn't at all happy with the way it turned out and scrapped it. I might see if I can clean it up and re-post it for grins later.
09-01-08, 01:38 AM   #57
Undel
A Murloc Raider

Thanks TomWolf. I'm glad that you enjoyed the comic
09-01-08, 05:46 AM   #58
Bouvi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

The WoWI staff will pick our favourite 20 over the weekend and post our decision on Monday, 1 September, 2008.
The excitement builds! Good job and good luck to everyone.
09-01-08, 08:10 AM   #59
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Bouvi View Post
The excitement builds! Good job and good luck to everyone.
This .
09-01-08, 08:14 AM   #60
TomWolf
A Fallenroot Satyr
I've gone through the list and it's nervewrecking...I find 25 entries that I personally think deserves a win, 15 that stands out a bit extra and 3 wich I can't see not winning...I don't envy this decision.

Last edited by TomWolf : 09-01-08 at 08:18 AM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WoWInterface Comic Contest Discussion Thread