08-01-09, 04:14 PM   #41
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
Dude! I'm hurt!
Then stop doing that!

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
08-01-09, 06:22 PM   #42
Evolution85
A Black Drake

Can we get this thread back on topic please.
08-02-09, 04:17 AM   #43
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Then stop doing that!
All I am saying is give peace a chance!

Originally Posted by Evolution85 View Post
Can we get this thread back on topic please.
If you could remind us all what the topic was, I'm sure Torhal and myself would be glad to argue over it for five or six pages.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
08-02-09, 06:17 AM   #44
Spookie455
Illiterate Spectre

Premium Member
Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
Summary for the slow/too lazy to read:
Any comparisons of a newly released MMO to the current version of WoW at the time will always be inaccurate, pointless and a waste of time as the time spent developing and feedback will never be equal.
In your opinion.
08-02-09, 04:40 PM   #45
jadakren
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Couple things :

Aion Beta / Your Preview Event
Just to remind everyone about how you felt by playing the North American Beta.

Servers are subpar, I hope this gets changed for much better servers with negotiated routing paths to said servers.
At the moment I highly suspect they are running all the servers on one machine.

Game Client isn't even version 1.2.

Chinese Retail (which is free to download with 5 free hours per region, thereafter you pay per hour) is on version 1.2 now.

Korea has version 1.5 on its ptr where there is significantly more content being made available.

Honestly, the beta has been a bit of a mess...beta testing a version that other regions have already moved on from seems a bit stupid.

But if you guys really want to test Aion i suggest you get the chinese/korean or japanese version and apply a language pack to play on the beefier servers over there. just be sure to pick a region where you get best latency.

People Comparing it to WoW
The fact that you are comparing it to WoW in the first place means you have some expectations of a few things :
1 - that it should appeal to the entirity of the current WoW population.
2 - that WoW is doing everything right.
3 - that the current state of WoW and why it attracts genetic throwbacks is something that Aion should aspire to.

I heartly disagree on all those points. Indeed. I would be worries if WoW did suddenly dry up and disappear while all its subscribers moved to aion.

I left WoW because of the general attitude of the playerbase, their inability to think further than loot, and the fact that 99% of the players always choose the easiest route with the focus on the destination rather than the journey.
08-02-09, 05:19 PM   #46
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by jadakren View Post
I left WoW because of the general attitude of the playerbase, their inability to think further than loot, and the fact that 99% of the players always choose the easiest route with the focus on the destination rather than the journey.
Might I suggest you ready yourself to leave a lot of games? People are just damned stupid. That's all there is to it. Okay, people aren't damned stupid, they just behave that way in the safety of internet anonymity with no real consequences of behaving as such. There isn't a game now, in the past, or in the future that will escape the retardation of the general population. If it's massive, it will be massively stupid by definition.

The only way I can tolerate Warcraft is to turn off all my public chat channels, yells, etc. I said it before and I'll say it again, the worst part of online games = gamers. Aion will have its fair share of morons too, wait and see. I also think most people don't even focus on the destination (or the journey), they focus on what the destination does to stroke their ego. Hell most people aren't even capable of focus, but I guess that's another topic.
08-02-09, 05:27 PM   #47
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

I can understand how some people can get to you, but I couldn't leave a game because other people are acting dumb. Yes, there are plenty of people that act in ways that many people don't enjoy, but that does not mean you have to acknowledge them. Your best bet is to simply ignore them. I don't really pay attention to it much and I have not come even close to thinking of leaving a game because of that. I find people along the way who act like me and are friendly, so I make friends with them. Later down the road, I end up joining guilds with them or something. I could not play the game without friends and there are people out there in the game that are nice and more like the type around here at WoWInterface. It's a shame that we as humans always acknowledge and talk/think about the bad things.
08-02-09, 08:26 PM   #48
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Spookie455 View Post
In your opinion.
I don't need people to tell me what my opinion is. I do a well enough job of that on my own.

I'm simply stating that it's hardly fair to make an attempt on something that's had YEARS of live changes to something that has had MONTHS of live changes. It's just plain biased.

Make an accurate comparison then. Just-out-of-beta WoW to a just-out-of-beta released MMO. Sure, the new MMO will have bugs, but it sure as hell won't be nearly as bad as WoW at release.
08-02-09, 08:49 PM   #49
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
Just-out-of-beta WoW to a just-out-of-beta released MMO. Sure, the new MMO will have bugs, but it sure as hell won't be nearly as bad as WoW at release.
Actually, my criticism has nothing to do with pending release quality, bugs, or anything else. Conceptually speaking, if you like the Emo vs Fruity design of the game, more power to you. The game simply doesn't appeal to me the same as Warcraft did. Although, I must admit that I was hesitant to join some friends of mine in Warcraft when it was first released. Some real friends of mine were early adopters and played during beta. I got in myself around month number 3 or so and have been a subscriber ever since. My initial hesitation however was not a result of the game having bugs, etc. (everything from operating systems to automobiles have bugs after all), it was because I didn't really want to get into a game full of "nerd types who take it way too seriously". Turns out, I was right about having this hesitation the way people treat each other, etc. but the game trumps all the "human problems".

I wish Aion and its players well, I don't compare it to Warcraft expecting the same results, I just don't like the game design or the concept. I'm not emo or fruity enough to really connect with either side. I'm not saying you have to be either, just well, it isn't my thing.
08-02-09, 08:53 PM   #50
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Republic View Post
I just don't like the game design or the concept.
And that's all that matters when choosing what game to play.
08-03-09, 03:46 AM   #51
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Republic View Post
Might I suggest you ready yourself to leave a lot of games? People are just damned stupid. That's all there is to it. Okay, people aren't damned stupid, they just behave that way in the safety of internet anonymity with no real consequences of behaving as such. There isn't a game now, in the past, or in the future that will escape the retardation of the general population. If it's massive, it will be massively stupid by definition.
I played EQ for almost 4 years (long before Wow existed), and never ever did I see the type of rudeness in there that I do in WoW (mainly because the GM's actually played and interacted with players). The player base was a hell of a lot nicer. I've tried several beta versions of other games and even in those I didn't see the type of behavior that I see in WoW. People for the most part are just downright rude in WoW.
08-03-09, 04:33 AM   #52
Curumtiny
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
I played EQ for almost 4 years (long before Wow existed), and never ever did I see the type of rudeness in there that I do in WoW (mainly because the GM's actually played and interacted with players). The player base was a hell of a lot nicer. I've tried several beta versions of other games and even in those I didn't see the type of behavior that I see in WoW. People for the most part are just downright rude in WoW.
I think one of the major differences is also that in EQ you had to act and operate as a team in essence to get anything accomplished. Only about 2 classes in EQ could solo leveling all the way up to the highest level. Parties were needed to level your character to the highest level. At one time the Everquest raid were set up for 72 people content. The guild that I was in EQ back in the days of Planes of Power expansion had raid sizes of over 100 people. Where we had to have 1.5 raids on some of the nights.

I loved EQ for the 6 years I played it for different reasons then I love WoW. EQ was fun but it was also PAIN. I am just saying WoW is alot more based on the idea of solo play.
08-03-09, 05:11 AM   #53
Slakah
A Molten Giant

I've never encountered any of this behaviour and have found the majority of WoW players to be a lot nicer than say L4D players, maybe EU servers are a lot different to the US ones.
08-03-09, 05:24 AM   #54
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
I've never encountered any of this behaviour and have found the majority of WoW players to be a lot nicer than say L4D players, maybe EU servers are a lot different to the US ones.
I'm thinking they must be. I've played on a total of 3 US realms, and somewhere in the vicinity of 60% of players on all of them act like complete dicks (pardon my lanquage). Maybe I should switch to a EU server.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
08-03-09, 07:34 AM   #55
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Curumtiny View Post
I think one of the major differences is also that in EQ you had to act and operate as a team in essence to get anything accomplished. Only about 2 classes in EQ could solo leveling all the way up to the highest level. Parties were needed to level your character to the highest level. At one time the Everquest raid were set up for 72 people content. The guild that I was in EQ back in the days of Planes of Power expansion had raid sizes of over 100 people. Where we had to have 1.5 raids on some of the nights.

I loved EQ for the 6 years I played it for different reasons then I love WoW. EQ was fun but it was also PAIN. I am just saying WoW is alot more based on the idea of solo play.

And this is one of the things that I think WoW is horrible at. Until hitting 80, there is little incentive to team up. In fact, depending on your class, you level slower if you grab a team and go questing. I think that is just so very wrong and against the whole point of an MMO. (yes I still play it anyway *sigh*)
08-03-09, 08:15 AM   #56
Slakah
A Molten Giant

And this is one of the things that I think WoW is horrible at. Until hitting 80, there is little incentive to team up. In fact, depending on your class, you level slower if you grab a team and go questing. I think that is just so very wrong and against the whole point of an MMO. (yes I still play it anyway *sigh*)
I've not played from 1 to 70 since wrath so I don't know how much changed, but when I was able to find a group in 70-80 content and quickly finish of many of the group quests I found the rewards to be much greater and the experience gain wasn't too shabby either, making groups quests a requirement imo is a bad idea, as often when I played I found the areas to be devoid of all life and thus even when I wanted to very hard find a group.
08-03-09, 10:27 AM   #57
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
I've not played from 1 to 70 since wrath so I don't know how much changed, but when I was able to find a group in 70-80 content and quickly finish of many of the group quests I found the rewards to be much greater and the experience gain wasn't too shabby either, making groups quests a requirement imo is a bad idea, as often when I played I found the areas to be devoid of all life and thus even when I wanted to very hard find a group.

Yes, but you can't level from 70-80 just doing group quests. Most of the time you're stuck wandering Northrend alone. I do grant you, Northrend does have more group quests than the 1-70 range did, but most of them are still solo. If you decide to hang with friends and do the solo quests as a group you level (much) slower, and (in my experience) begin to run out of quests before you're high enough to move to the next area.

I'm not necessarily saying that group quests should be required, but I often feel like I'm being penalized for spending most of my time playing with friends. To me that's just wrong.

Personally I like the CoH solution, where mission difficulty and xp rewards scale with the size of your team (yes I am aware there would be problems implementing this in WoW, just noting that this a solution that seems to work quite well).
08-03-09, 02:03 PM   #58
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
If you decide to hang with friends and do the solo quests as a group you level (much) slower, and (in my experience) begin to run out of quests before you're high enough to move to the next area.
Not completely true. I hit 76 with my now main toon (rogue) running solo and got stuck grinding for a while because I finished borean, dragonblight, zul'drak grizzly and basin and wasn't quite geared/level enough for peaks/icecrown. I could've done Fjord, but the xp was hardly worth the time.
08-04-09, 12:06 PM   #59
nytekat
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Amen... I played EQ for 7 years. And after playing Aion over the last weekend I've found myself missing EQ terribly. I miss the ppl(and the need for ppl). For me it's seeming like on WoW I'm spending $15 a month for a single player game with other coming into the towns.
Aion was nice but I didn't see any dungeons/instance type place that made EQ so awesome. Maybe in the newer versions of Aion there is more content... more places to kill stuff. But for now I can't get my husband to want to play it
08-07-09, 09:10 AM   #60
jadakren
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by nytekat View Post
Amen... I played EQ for 7 years. And after playing Aion over the last weekend I've found myself missing EQ terribly. I miss the ppl(and the need for ppl). For me it's seeming like on WoW I'm spending $15 a month for a single player game with other coming into the towns.
Aion was nice but I didn't see any dungeons/instance type place that made EQ so awesome. Maybe in the newer versions of Aion there is more content... more places to kill stuff. But for now I can't get my husband to want to play it
Remember the elite troll templte out in hinterlands? when you needed a full group to get Hexx?

Well in the lvl10-20 zones for both races is a similar type of thing each having about three or four named bosses you can take down.

And when you reach the 20-30 zones for both factions, there is again even more of this type of thing.
The 20-30 zone is also going to be your first experience with rift raiders, other players from the enemy faction invading your factions lands via rifts in space.

Finally when you reach about 28-30 you do some attunement for the Fire Temple, which is (i think) your first instanced dungeon.

After that there is yet another area 30-45 with some more dungeons and rift raiding.

But also, ever since you hit 25, there is the abyss. Think a/v but the size of a continent and with a cpu controlled third faction that serves to balance the tide.

As I understand it so far, when either faction begins to control one or more fortresses in the abyss, a Dreadgion (i think its called) emerges from null-space.
http://www.aionsource.com/forum/gene...c-carrier.html

More info on the 1.5 patch here :
http://www.aionsource.com/forum/gene...ow-balaur.html

Last edited by jadakren : 08-07-09 at 09:25 AM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Aion: The Tower of Eternity