01-17-11, 11:06 AM   #1
3ICE
A Murloc Raider

How to get special accents like O umlaut to show up? (Topic has 2 images ~300kb.)

<-- For question one.
<-- Two.

Hi,

Question one: I don't know how to get the two Hungarumlauts (Hungarian umlauts) to work in an addon: őŐ and űŰ. They are double acute accented letters, which everything seems to hate. Their capital versions even show up as "?" in chat if sent by an addon. (Lowercase works fine as you can see above.)

Question two: Binding keys to these letters works fine, but they don't show up properly in the keybinding interface and are not highlighted in red either.

More info (and addon used) here: wowinterface.com/comment/324098

Thanks.

01-17-11, 01:10 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Does your font support that character?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-08-11, 08:45 AM   #3
hankthetank
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
1) Are you saving your code in UTF-8?
2) Try using multi-byte encoded strings. To pick up one of your examples: Go to this site. Look up the UTF-8 code for Ő, "LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH TILDE" that is (under "Latin-1 Supplement"). Convert the hexadecimal value (c3 95) to decimal numbers (195 149). Now you can write \195\149 instead (as in print("L\195\149L")). If the character still doesn't show up your font doesn't support that character set.

Last edited by hankthetank : 02-08-11 at 08:52 AM.
02-14-11, 02:41 AM   #4
Akkorian
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
In your screenshot, it looks like you’re using the default Friz Quadrata font that comes with WoW, which doesn’t support the Ő, ő, Ű, and ű characters, so I think Seerah’s explanation is probably right.
02-14-11, 10:26 AM   #5
3ICE
A Murloc Raider

Solved.

Thank you for solving my problem.

Sadly, my wow subscription has already ended, but I will remember these pieces of information for the next time I get access to wow and addon development.

--3ICE

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » How to get special accents like O umlaut to show up? (Topic has 2 images ~300kb.)