09-25-16, 10:46 AM   #1
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
"You aren't in a party" message in chat window

It was reported to me that users of AutoBar would see this message in chat when looting while in a group. I checked and I don't see it when I'm in a guild party, but when I PUG the Direbrew event I do see it. I'm not sure what the difference is.

The real issue is that I have no idea what is triggering this. When you loot stuff, AutoBar looks through your bags when it gets the BAG_UPDATE and BAG_UPDATE_DELAYED events, but otherwise doesn't do anything loot-related. I added some extra debugging and the "You aren't in a party" gets printed before any of the BAG_* events reach my addon.

I am baffled. I know this isn't a lot to go on, but I'm hoping someone has seen something like this before and can point me in the right direction.

Knowing why it happens in the PUG situation, but not in a "normal" party might give a hint as to where to look.
09-25-16, 10:55 AM   #2
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by MuffinManKen View Post
Knowing why it happens in the PUG situation, but not in a "normal" party might give a hint as to where to look.
"Instance group" vs. "home/regular group". There is some degree of distinction between the two in certain APIs. If not explicitly specified, should default to the relevant type, though. Sounds like you're trying to do something and explicitly specify the home group.
09-25-16, 11:20 AM   #3
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Can you point out any API functions where you need to specify this difference?
09-25-16, 11:50 AM   #4
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Okay, thank you for that hint. I searched for every single API call in the "Party" section of the API and finally found that one of the libraries that AutoBar uses (*mumble*AceEvent-2*mumble*) has this line:

Code:
if GetNumGroupMembers() > 0 then SendAddonMessage("LOOT_OPENED", "", "RAID") end
I was almost hoping it'd be a problem directly in AutoBar since that would be easier to address. Oh well, at least now I know where the problem is. Thank you!
09-25-16, 03:37 PM   #5
gmarco
An Onyxian Warder

Hi,

I use something like this to send in the correct group.

Lua Code:
  1. -- find the right GROUP, thanks to Dridzt code in the posts: [url]http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48320[/url]
  3. if IsInGroup(LE_PARTY_CATEGORY_INSTANCE) then
  4.        autopsy_chn = "INSTANCE_CHAT"
  5. elseif IsInRaid() then
  6.         autopsy_chn = "RAID"
  7. elseif IsInGroup() then
  8.         autopsy_chn = "PARTY"
  9. else
  10.         autopsy_chn = "SELF"
  11. end
09-25-16, 03:40 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Oof - Autobar still uses some Ace2 stuff?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-25-16, 06:40 PM   #7
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Oof - Autobar still uses some Ace2 stuff?
Yeah. I am intimidated by the amount of work involved in tearing it out. It would be easier if the various Ace2 bits didn't have so many dependencies on each other. I need to graph it out and attack the leaves, but there's so much other work that needs to be done that it's hard to prioritize "fixing" something that currently works.
09-25-16, 06:43 PM   #8
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by gmarco View Post
Hi,
I use something like this to send in the correct group.
Thanks for the code snippet, but since this is a shared library, I can't really edit my version.
09-25-16, 07:54 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

... it's hard to prioritize "fixing" something that currently works.
Ace2 was deprecated in Wrath of the Lich King, and hasn't been updated since the beginning of Catalysm, over 6 years ago. If you're the owner of an addon that's still using Ace2, updating it to not use Ace2 should be your #1 priority.

About the only part of Ace2 that doesn't have a (more or less) drop-in replacement is AceOO, so you can save that for last, but even that doesn't require a lot of work to replace. If you run into difficulty, feel free to post specific questions. You can also look at the changes I made in Grid while converting from Ace2 to Ace3:

https://github.com/Phanx/Grid/commit...6d55ce3d8390e5
09-26-16, 03:08 PM   #10
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Ace2 was deprecated in Wrath of the Lich King, and hasn't been updated since the beginning of Catalysm, over 6 years ago. If you're the owner of an addon that's still using Ace2, updating it to not use Ace2 should be your #1 priority.

About the only part of Ace2 that doesn't have a (more or less) drop-in replacement is AceOO, so you can save that for last, but even that doesn't require a lot of work to replace. If you run into difficulty, feel free to post specific questions. You can also look at the changes I made in Grid while converting from Ace2 to Ace3:

https://github.com/Phanx/Grid/commit...6d55ce3d8390e5
Thank you for this, I will look through it. I also need to spend some time going over the documentation for the various Ace modules. I didn't write AutoBar originally, so I need to understand why these modules are even being used. I mean, if you're doing fairly basic handling of events, is the Event module really needed? If you're not doing complicate profile handling, does the DB module add any value?
09-26-16, 09:32 PM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

... if you're doing fairly basic handling of events, is the Event module really needed?
No. Same goes for AceLocale and (for the most part) AceTimer. You can just register events directly on the frame you already have, you can use a simple metatable for AceLocale-style localization, and for timers, you have lots of options (OnUpdate script, animations, or C_Timer functions).

If you're not doing complicate profile handling, does the DB module add any value?
If you're supporting profiles at all, it's worth using. And if you're already using AceDB-2.0 you might as well just use AceDB-3.0. Otherwise, you'll have to either write your own migration code to convert the DB structure, or lose all your users' settings.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » "You aren't in a party" message in chat window