View Poll Results: Do you think devs will reply to this
yes 7 26.92%
no 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

09-08-12, 09:30 AM   #1
ced_1973
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Copyright really

Ok... just fyi.. as per the Carbonite homepage the copyright was good thru 2011. They have not been updating this addon only putting bandaids on it. And Honestly I doubt they ever put in for a Copyright on this anyways seeing that U.S. Copyright fees are outrageous. If you want to continue to give money to someone for doing nothing go ahead. I think you would be off giving it to a charity vise getting ripped off by someone that is just tanking your money and running.

This was a great addon prior to blizzard tell them they can't charge a fee for this. And they have done much of nothing for a long time... Look at the home page.. Happy new year.. Bandaid given in Map.. And wait no DMF map...

Keep up with the fan updates because the authors haven't even given a hint in the forums about if they are still or around.

And the hearsay a dev said something that didn't come from the dev in the forum is just a troll comment IMO.

09-08-12, 11:49 AM   #2
sixsixtysix
A Defias Bandit
you do know that you no longer have to pay for a copyright fee, right? that was done away with decades ago, and copyrights are now inherent upon creation.

09-08-12, 11:54 AM   #3
ced_1973
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by sixsixtysix View Post
you do know that you no longer have to pay for a copyright fee, right? that was done away with decades ago, and copyrights are now inherent upon creation.
Guess you haven't read copyright law have you?

09-08-12, 01:13 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ced_1973 View Post
Guess you haven't read copyright law have you?
Could you please quote the relevant law, and give the sections for the law that you are quoting.

If what has been posted before is incorrect, as far as a released work being protected under copyright law as an "intellectual property" by the author(s) and not having to actually be registered with the copyright office, I'm quite sure that EVERYONE would be ....interested.... in seeing the actual law that says this.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

09-08-12, 01:50 PM   #5
mccompunerd
A Fallenroot Satyr
They actually own the copyright without paying anything. However if they want to sue someone based on copyright they have to register with the Copyright office.
This is per the US Copyright Office's FAQ
Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?
Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation. Finally, if registration occurs within 5 years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration” and Circular 38b, Highlights of Copyright Amendments Contained in the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), on non-U.S. works.

Also worth noting that it is only $35 to register for a copyright online.

09-08-12, 02:04 PM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yeah. Truly outrageous fee's.

I was looking more at this:
Who Can Claim Copyright?
Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created
in fixed form. The copyright in the work of authorship
immediately becomes the property of the author who created
the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights
through the author can rightfully claim copyright.
Which is not an actual law, but can be read, in its' entirety, here: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf

It's a link to a circular on the U.S. Copyright Office website.

I actually tried reading through the law, but apparently "legalese" and I reside in different dimensions. Hence, asking for the relevant parts of the law.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

09-08-12, 05:10 PM   #7
Darkelf
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by ced_1973 View Post
Ok... just fyi.. as per the Carbonite homepage the copyright was good thru 2011. They have not been updating this addon only putting bandaids on it. And Honestly I doubt they ever put in for a Copyright on this anyways seeing that U.S. Copyright fees are outrageous. If you want to continue to give money to someone for doing nothing go ahead. I think you would be off giving it to a charity vise getting ripped off by someone that is just tanking your money and running.

This was a great addon prior to blizzard tell them they can't charge a fee for this. And they have done much of nothing for a long time... Look at the home page.. Happy new year.. Bandaid given in Map.. And wait no DMF map...

Keep up with the fan updates because the authors haven't even given a hint in the forums about if they are still or around.

And the hearsay a dev said something that didn't come from the dev in the forum is just a troll comment IMO.
not sure where you got 2011 but your wrong -
CARBONITE
Copyright 2007-2012 Carbon Based Creations, LLC
CARBONITE(tm) is a registered trademark of Carbon Based Creations, LLC.

says that in CarboniteLiscenceAgreement.txt found in the Carbonite addon folder

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Copyright really