11-29-05, 11:59 AM   #1
Djanee
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Parse / Merge for Saved Variables?

Does anyone know of a tool that can read, edit, write back out info in a SavedVariables file? My husband and I both have CT_Mapmod installed and it's great in marking landmarks and especially resource nodes as we gather. Only annoying part is that we either have to remember to send each marker to the other person one at a time (what we currently do for important stuff) or just live with the 2 increasingly divergent sets of data. I'd love to be able to read both files, maybe toss them into Access or something so I can return unique entries (no duplicates in file if a spot is already on both our maps), then write the merged result back out. It doesn't have to be completely automated...I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. I just can't find any tool that will read the file in a way that I could merge the info. Seems it would have to essentially de-normalize the data on read, then re-normalize when it writes it back out.

Thoughts, pointers?
11-29-05, 12:23 PM   #2
Gello
A Molten Giant
Try: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=4047

It's a "regedit" for saved variables. Really an incredible tool.
12-03-05, 11:32 AM   #3
Silversage
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Unfortunately, even a RegEdit-like tool cannot know enough to merge your two sets of data, because the format the data is stored in is dependent on the design of the specific addon.

Hmm. This raises an interesting possibility, however. Would it be possible to design a naming convention in our data structures so that a general-purpose addon would know enough to know what to trade back and forth when two people synced? (And could handle the comm traffic to do so.)

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Parse / Merge for Saved Variables?