08-21-10, 12:24 PM   #3161
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
some updated shots
-snip-
Huge pixel fonts look just plain ugly IMO, pixel perfect or not.

08-21-10, 12:54 PM   #3162
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
latest and greatest

Last edited by Aftermathhqt : 08-21-10 at 12:59 PM.

08-21-10, 01:56 PM   #3163
d87
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by haylie View Post
This whole pixel stuff is starting to irk me.
i gotta add that it's like 50 pages already with the same stuff.

Flat textures, unreadable pixelfonts, square bartender or something in the middle, thin healthbars and 2px manabar above. the only difference is where they put obviously square minimap.
Half transparent 3D EYES in the healthbar as possbile addition, to identify enemies by catching their menacing gaze
+ gray/black rectangles for background maybe

*someone posts latest version of super minimalistic lightweight rectangular ui*
- Hey, everyone, look! I made my healthbar even more thin, applied square borders everywhere i possible could. Also, check out pixelfonts now even in quest log.
What'd you say?
- Awesome man, keep going. Your pallypower border is still not square enough!

http://www.wowuigallery.com/view/most-popular
There's only 1-2 without THAT FONT

At least stop posting your ui over and over with minor changes every day
That's very annoying if you actually want to see here something beside that same bunch of identical UIs

08-21-10, 02:05 PM   #3164
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
I'll agree with posting over and over, but usually people DO change stuff to their UIs when they post here.

Personally I only post if I've actually changed major stuff or done something unique.

08-21-10, 02:12 PM   #3165
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

I did change to my UI today, i finally fixed the castbar to appear "92ms"

08-21-10, 02:15 PM   #3166
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Let people post their minor updates if they want to, sometimes something you see as minor might be major for someone else. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I'm so wise it hurts my bwain sometimes.

08-21-10, 02:29 PM   #3167
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
Let people post their minor updates if they want to, sometimes something you see as minor might be major for someone else. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I'm so wise it hurts my bwain sometimes.
That's enough wisdom for one day, Wimpface. /cough

But yeah. Sometimes I see minor things, and I suddenly get inspired to overhaul an entire major part of my UI. It's happened before.

Saw someone putting their minimap at the bottom right, and that made a click in my brain which solved pretty much all of my UI layout problems.

08-21-10, 02:38 PM   #3168
Ulostthegame
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by d87 View Post
thin healthbars and 2px manabar above.
I have a 25px mana bar

08-21-10, 04:04 PM   #3169
treelet
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

That's very annoying if you actually want to see here something beside that same bunch of identical UIs
We can't all be as unique as you.

http://s.wowinterface.com/preview/pvw41667.jpg

08-21-10, 04:58 PM   #3170
Minerv
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by Game92 View Post
I did change to my UI today, i finally fixed the castbar to appear "92ms"
Why'd u want it there anyways when u got it in the top-right just under your Minimap?

08-21-10, 05:24 PM   #3171
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Minerv View Post
Why'd u want it there anyways when u got it in the top-right just under your Minimap?
Its like quartz safezone thingy

08-21-10, 06:21 PM   #3172
jasje
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

finished my v11 edit of tukui, here's a ss

it's up for DL on tukui.org

Tukui | Github

08-21-10, 06:47 PM   #3173
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Finally got one of my UIs to a state where I felt comfortable sharing it.

http://s.wowinterface.com/preview/pvw43061.jpg

08-21-10, 09:00 PM   #3174
d87
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Sometimes I see minor things, and I suddenly get inspired to overhaul an entire major part of my UI. It's happened before.
This is a legendary thread from 2005 that keeps history of interface and if people really want inspiration browsing it, then it would be better if they don't have to dig through tons of same stuff.

You've shown your ui, we got the general idea, you played the part, got feedback if needed. Now return when you'll have something new to show, and leave details to specific thread or compilation/ouf layout comments.
You don't have to remind everyone how great is your interface 3 times a week

As I see it

Last edited by d87 : 08-21-10 at 09:12 PM.

08-21-10, 09:39 PM   #3175
Falarin
A Cyclonian

All I'm going to say is it's your opinion d87, and others have their opinions. Don't try to force your view onto another person as it just makes you look bad. We saw your first post on the matter, some read it and replied, some didn't.
Just because you feel an entire thread should change to your liking, and possibly others, doesn't mean it has to. That one minor change could have a huge impact on another person, it might not help anyone at all. You will just never fully know unless someone comes out and replies saying specifically that one line of code inspired them to create a new UI. I am not arguing with you or even trying to sound mean. I am just saying people have their opinions and it is not right to force them on others.

Last edited by Falarin : 08-21-10 at 09:43 PM.

08-21-10, 11:52 PM   #3176
maurdr
A Cliff Giant

Flat textures, unreadable pixelfonts, square bartender or something in the middle, thin healthbars and 2px manabar above. the only difference is where they put obviously square minimap.
Half transparent 3D EYES in the healthbar as possbile addition, to identify enemies by catching their menacing gaze
+ gray/black rectangles for background maybe

*someone posts latest version of super minimalistic lightweight rectangular ui*
- Hey, everyone, look! I made my healthbar even more thin, applied square borders everywhere i possible could. Also, check out pixelfonts now even in quest log.
What'd you say?
- Awesome man, keep going. Your pallypower border is still not square enough!

http://www.wowuigallery.com/view/most-popular
There's only 1-2 without THAT FONT

the reason they are posting there UI is because they have something they want to show off or they might want a little CC on it. its the same basic principle of when we were all kids didnt you want your mom to put your A+ tests on the fridge and brag to all her friends about how smart you were.

I personally think this thread needs to stay exactly how it is.

08-22-10, 01:02 AM   #3177
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

To be honest I follow this thread very closely. I'm always looking for new ideas and concepts to tinker with.
While I fully encourage people to show their ideas (where else am I going to ste... err borrow from) I freely admit that half the time I cant tell the difference from one update to another without scrolling back a few pages and opening both screens.

If nothing else I would encourage more people (as there are some that do this already) to post side by side shots to show the differences in updates. Since as stated it is often rather difficult to tell the difference from one update to another and therefore not always easy to offer CC. Thumbnails wouldn't be a bad idea for this or links as many have done.

I doesn't matter to me that many of the UI's look similar. If everyone I knew only wanted one flavor of ice cream who am I to judge? Trends change. Not that long ago graphic intensive UI's were all the rage. Someone hits a home run with a concept and others try it and improve upon it.

Having a current trend just makes other types stand out that much more. I personally don't see this as a bad thing.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 08-22-10 at 01:04 AM. Reason: The mummies made me do it.

08-22-10, 02:16 AM   #3178
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
That's enough wisdom for one day, Wimpface. /cough
Okay. Haleth, son of Hamas.
Saw LotR on TV last night, not the first time obviously, but I instantly knew where your name came from.

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
But yeah. Sometimes I see minor things, and I suddenly get inspired to overhaul an entire major part of my UI. It's happened before.

Saw someone putting their minimap at the bottom right, and that made a click in my brain which solved pretty much all of my UI layout problems.
What you said here, minor updates can be a big deal. This thread is perfect the way it is.

08-22-10, 05:01 AM   #3179
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

-snip-
While I do see where you're coming from, that's not exactly what I meant. My quote was a response to the whole "let's skin the main menu and GM frame and everything else we can" thing. Personally I feel that's a bit much. Unit frames, panels and actionbars are one thing, but how far can you go before you turn the game into World of Pixelcraft?

Now regarding what you said, this pixel font + flat texture combination is just a passing trend. Most of the people posting nowadays (myself included) would have probably never used a pixel font 1 or 2 years ago, for example. Trends come and go. I remember the old Ace days when every UI consisted of a black viewport at the bottom of the screen where people crammed all their UI. Then someone bought a widescreen and said, "Hey, I don't need a viewport anymore" then ace alternatives came along and so on.

The game changes, our computers get faster, our monitors get bigger, the addons we use get better. Before you know it, this pixel thing will have passed as well, some new trend will rise and people will again be whining that UIs look the same.

Last edited by haylie : 08-22-10 at 05:05 AM.

08-22-10, 05:09 AM   #3180
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Originally Posted by haylie View Post
While I do see where you're coming from, that's not exactly what I meant. My quote was a response to the whole "let's skin the main menu and GM frame and everything else we can" thing. Personally I feel that's a bit much. Unit frames, panels and actionbars are one thing, but how far can you go before you turn the game into World of Pixelcraft?
I disagree. It adds to the overall synergy of the UI (in my case at least, where my addon windows are also in the same style).

People were just excited about the easy way to do this rather than the only alternative being Skinner. I guess in 1-2 pages the subject will have changed already.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Screen Shots of your UI...