11-26-10, 08:47 AM   #1
Speeddymon
A Murloc Raider
Ahn'Qiraj: The Fallen Kingdom - no minimap data

So in the Carbonite 'normal' map (not maximized, but the smaller version of the maximized one), I can zoom in to see the minimap version of any zone, or I can zoom out to see the world map version. When I went into the uninstanced portion of Ahn'Qiraj last night to get it explored, the part before the instance portals, between them and Silithus, I noticed that no matter how far I zoom in, I only ever see the world map view, never what I can see in the minimap.

I'm not near there now, but if needed I can go back over there and take some screenshots to show what I am talking about.

11-26-10, 09:21 AM   #2
Speeddymon
A Murloc Raider
The opposite happens in Gilneas right now. I can zoom in and see the minimap version of Gilneas, but when I zoom out, and then move my map, it shows me in the middle of nowhere. When I mouse over the map while in Gilneas, I can see the land but it is nondescript.

Edit: I just went into the Cathedral in Gilneas City; the map started appearing, but as I move my mouse over certain parts, it will go from nondescript to being the map of Gilneas to being the map of Gilneas City... With the big carbonite map open, if I have my mouse off the map, it shows me in the middle of nowhere, if I mouse over parts of Gilneas, it shows me the nondescript map, if I mouse over the water around Gilneas, it shows me the descriptive map, if I mouse over Gilneas City, it shows me Gilneas City and the rest of the descriptive Gilneas map.

Last edited by Speeddymon : 11-26-10 at 09:26 AM.

11-26-10, 10:20 AM   #3
Ratu
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Speeddymon View Post
So in the Carbonite 'normal' map (not maximized, but the smaller version of the maximized one), I can zoom in to see the minimap version of any zone, or I can zoom out to see the world map version. When I went into the uninstanced portion of Ahn'Qiraj last night to get it explored, the part before the instance portals, between them and Silithus, I noticed that no matter how far I zoom in, I only ever see the world map view, never what I can see in the minimap.

I'm not near there now, but if needed I can go back over there and take some screenshots to show what I am talking about.
Im in game now, and Im wanting to say that this is not a Carb issue as the world map for that zone has changed. I disabled carb. relogged back into the game and when you look at the map for that area, it isnt like it used to be. I like this new version of the world map, especially for that zone cause it looks like blizz merged the minimap data for that zone right into the world map getting rid of the need for a minimap version of that zone.

11-26-10, 02:14 PM   #4
Speeddymon
A Murloc Raider
I agree with you that it looks cool, however the map that is provided in the world map doesn't look the same as the minimap. The minimap looks like a bird's eye view of the actual terrain in-game, such that the tops of hills on the minimap look the same as they do in-game.

Take Dun Morogh for example, where there is snow on the ground in-game, the terrain on the minimap has snow, while on the world map it does not. In carbonite, you can tell that it's a drawing being shown instead of the data that the minimap shows. Facing the right after you first walk into the zone:

On the minimap, you can see there is a wall to the left of the doorway that you first walk through if you go that direction, if you walk over to that wall, you can see your direction arrow is facing that wall. If you look at the world map, it doesn't show that there is a wall there; it shows there is a gap in the wall.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Ahn'Qiraj: The Fallen Kingdom - no minimap data