02-15-10, 12:52 PM   #1
Taeo
A Murloc Raider
Great place to browse/share UI's

So I'm sure nearly everyone that visits WoW forums like these is familiar with the typical "Post Your UI" threads. I used to go through threads like this all the time looking for ideas and inspiration but it's pretty tedious especially when half of them aren't that great anyways - no offense to anyone! Not only is it a pain for the people browsing but the person posting has to find a place to host their screenshots and figure out how to link it all up!

I figured there had to be a better way to do it - so I came up with one. Check out the site I just launched!

http://www.wowuigallery.com/

It's a community site for custom WoW UI enthusiasts. People can submit their UI (screenshots, addons used, and details like class and screen resolution) and have people comment and rate them! Looking for inspiration? Just browse through the categorized gallery or search to find exactly what you're looking for.

Give it a shot :-P
02-15-10, 02:19 PM   #2
Landrell
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Taeo, you have made my day sir! I really love this idea because it opens up the gallery perspective even more for people to view and comment on those UI's. I love seeing people's creativity and utilization take hold. So I hope this picks up off the ground and adds something positive to the community!

Fear my Aim, for it be True, Swfit, and Deadly!
02-15-10, 03:35 PM   #3
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

I know this is something that many people have had the idea of doing

I really like the site. I hope more authors submit their UIs there soon!

Great job.
02-15-10, 09:18 PM   #4
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

Very nice site. I've been looking forever for a site like that myself. And I totally agree, As a designer I love watching UI threads, but there are so few that are unique and so much useless posts I have to grind through to find them.

The site itself is very neat, clean and have every feature you could want, the sorting is really nice and the comments per UI is a great idea.

Good job!

Now we need to advertise the hell out of this site to make people upload here.

02-15-10, 09:59 PM   #5
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Awesome idea Uploading a couple interface screenshots I've made in the past.. and I guess I can add idea's I've had in the past too if its just for browsing.
02-15-10, 10:04 PM   #6
Taeo
A Murloc Raider
Thanks for the great feedback! I hope it catches on so help me spread the word!
02-15-10, 10:53 PM   #7
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
One thing that bugs me, it keep ssaying that I'm using too big of a file size.. and Im just uploading a screenshot :O
02-15-10, 10:56 PM   #8
Taeo
A Murloc Raider
Hmmm, I set the limit to 1mb. I figured that would be more than enough since I run 1920x1080 resolution and the largest screenshot I had was 477kb!

What resolution are you using?
02-15-10, 11:03 PM   #9
Taeo
A Murloc Raider
I've just upped it to 2mb
02-15-10, 11:23 PM   #10
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
I use 1440 x 900 but it kept saying i was surpassing the limit :O
02-16-10, 01:39 AM   #11
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

It happens for those of us that up the jpeg screenshot quality in wow

An idea would be to add a timer on the screens on the frontpage if people have uploaded more than one screenshot so it scrolls through them over time.

Oh and a Mass gallery viewer (forward-next) for every screenshot uploaded would be nice

Last edited by sacrife : 02-16-10 at 01:43 AM.
02-16-10, 02:02 AM   #12
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Some way to keep the dropdowns on the right open would be nice (persistent with cookies?).

I'd like to tell you that you can't (by standards at least) nest a div wihin an ul by the way (#sidebar .browse .browseHr). You could offcourse just try applying the class to a li and setting list-style: none inside; on it.

Last edited by ravagernl : 02-16-10 at 02:23 AM.
02-16-10, 02:36 AM   #13
sacrife
An Onyxian Warder

Just browsed 5 years worth of screenshots (oh my god the nostalgia :P). However I found all the UI's I've had over the years. 21 to be exact .
Should I just upload them as one compilation?
Bah, 6 is the limit ;(

Last edited by sacrife : 02-16-10 at 02:40 AM.
02-16-10, 03:05 AM   #14
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

I personally save all wow screenshots in-game in .TGA format with 10 quality(this can be set trough the console). This gives a bitmap representation of my UI. Big files.
02-16-10, 05:17 PM   #15
Taeo
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by mrruben5 View Post
Some way to keep the dropdowns on the right open would be nice (persistent with cookies?).

I'd like to tell you that you can't (by standards at least) nest a div wihin an ul by the way (#sidebar .browse .browseHr). You could offcourse just try applying the class to a li and setting list-style: none inside; on it.
I might try something like that. Thanks for the suggestion!

And I'm well aware I am blowing off quite a few standards. I do value web standards and follow them for the most part. At the same time I don't worry too much about it if I break a rule here and there. If it works, it works. If you'd like a good laugh, visit the site in IE6 :-P

This div in question is absolutely positioned over the bottom few pixels of the ul. It didn't occur to me to use an li but I suppose it would work just as well and avoid an abysmal W3C validation failure :-P Thanks.
02-16-10, 05:20 PM   #16
Taeo
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
I personally save all wow screenshots in-game in .TGA format with 10 quality(this can be set trough the console). This gives a bitmap representation of my UI. Big files.
My web host cringes at the thought!

On a serious note however I did legitimately underestimate the the file size that people would be uploading. I run a fairly high resolution (1920x1080) and my largest screenshots were 500kb at most. I am now having people trying to upload PNG's at 3mb. I've upped it to 2mb for now and will probably do some math tonight to see how high I can push it without killing my host :-(
02-16-10, 09:30 PM   #17
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Is there a way we can edit our posts, if I can edit something that I've submitted? Thanks in advance
02-17-10, 01:32 AM   #18
eddiemars
A Cyclonian

Awesome site indeed, great idea etc!

About the file size issue, I think it is a good idea to set a smallish limit. I know many people edit their screenshots to make them smaller and more compatible before posting them places, but even for those that directly upload them from their wow folder, I think if they are uploading a file bigger than 2mb they obviously then realize what they are doing since you'd have to change settings to even get a screenshot that large in the first place. I'd wager if they knew that then they also have some way to save the files smaller before posting them. If you let people run rampant with file sizes I think it will just make your site less pleasant to browse.
02-17-10, 10:27 AM   #19
Taryble
A Molten Giant

I used TweakWoW to set mine so that I have TGA screenshots as well - altho' I don't think they're quite at a 10 quality. However, I always convert images to JPG for uploading to websites, just so I'm not killing the 40% of americans who wanna see pretty UI's but don't have broadband access. ;-)

My JPG converter saves them with about 80% quality - they drop from 4-5 MB down to about 600k.
02-22-10, 03:06 PM   #20
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Oh boy, I just went through five years worth of screenshots. My, some of my early attempts look pretty bad. Then there was the "portal" view that healers in Classic experiance (not much to see except my Druid in Humaniod (Caster) form as this was preBC and before Tree of Life).

Anyway, I just did a big "dump" of some of my UI screenshots. Feel free to laugh at some of my pathetic attempts. I only wish I had not lost some of my screenshots.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Great place to browse/share UI's