06-02-07, 05:34 PM   #1
WeeBaby
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Question Going to try Cartographer

So I downloaded Cartographer and a bunch of the addons (fishing,Herb,Icon Gatherer pack, MetaMap icon pack,Import, noteshare,mining, quests,quests objectives,trainers) and I want to make sure I get it installed right and know the right way to use it. Is there a GUI or do I need to use slash commands? How do I mkae sure it stays updated? Is there other addons it conflicts with? How do I properly install and use the addons to it? Where is the AceUpdater and how do I use it? I know, you all have the right to virtually slap me around for all the questions. But I have a tendency to screw up mods I am not familiar with and want to make sure it goes smoothly. Thanks all!!

06-02-07, 06:16 PM   #2
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Wow lol...okay here goes. There are no slash commands for Cartographer. Everything is accessible from a button on the map when you've got it installed. To make sure everything is installed correctly make sure all the plugins go into the AddOns folder (AddOns/Cartographer_***). I don't believe it has too many conflicts, with my extensive list of addons I haven't had an error with cartographer in a long time and at least for a few patches.

The AceUpdater is here, but if you're not using a whole boatload of Ace addons or standalone libraries you'd be safe just to download updates once a week or after bug fixes from the SVN at http://files.wowace.com/. If you are using a lot of Ace addons and/or standalone libraries for them then I would suggest getting the updater. And to use the updater you just check off the addons you want to update and update them with externals. If you want to switch to standalone libraries I can explain how to do that if you like.

Here's a screenshot of Cartographer with the options list open so you can get a feel for what you're up against... =)

EDIT: spelling and whatnot

Last edited by GrissomXIX : 06-02-07 at 06:18 PM.
06-02-07, 09:27 PM   #3
WeeBaby
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Everything going smoothly, just one thing it seems I may need help with. How do I import the hundreds of notes I had with MetaMap onto Cart? When I did the install I cut all the MetaMap folders out and relocated them to another folder on my desktop in case I wanted to switch back. Next, I extracted all my Cartographer files into my addons folder. Started the game up, everything is working great! Then I realized "How do I get all the MetaMap stuff transfered over?" Now I am afraid to put the MetaMap stuff back in the Addons folder in fear I might screw something up. What MetaMap folder does Cart need? Is it safe to just put all the MetaMap folders back in my Addon folder and just disable the MetaMap stuff in the "Manage Addons" screen?

06-02-07, 10:18 PM   #4
Grizzly UK
A Black Drake

MetaMap stores the info for notes in it's own file (MetaMap.lua) which is located in your World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<YourAccountName>\SavedVariables folder. So long as that file exists you can re-install MetaMap and have all your notes displayed on the map. So really, all you need to know is whether Cartographer can import notes from MetaMap and how to import those notes if possible.
06-02-07, 10:32 PM   #5
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Try out Cartographer_Import ckknight added MetaMap support back in March so I'd assume that it will work, just be sure your "MetaMap.lua" is still in your "WTF\Account\<account name>\SavedVariables" folder. As mentioned Cartographer should only need the saved information in your SavedVariables folder since the AddOns folders only contain the files required to run the addon properly like scripts and events so you should be able to remove the MetaMap folder as long as you keep the saved variables file until it is imported.

Addition: Just installed Cartographer_Import to be able to fully answer your question and it would seem that it just imports automatically as I couldn't find any access to the import function through the map dropdown.

Last edited by GrissomXIX : 06-02-07 at 10:40 PM.
06-03-07, 12:36 AM   #6
WeeBaby
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Well I installed the Cartographer Import module and didn't see any of my MetaMap notes pop up I will survive without them I guess starting to like Cart so not going to get too upset about having to make all new notes. Also a question on Bongos2 Everytime I log in the minimap button for Bongos2 is there. I go into the menu uncheck the box to get rid of it and it goes away like I like. I log out and log back in it is there again! Is this some default thing that I can't change permently?

06-03-07, 10:55 AM   #7
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Sorry, but Bongos isn't something I use on a regular basis (bartender3) so I'm going to have to hand this question off to someone who can help you.
06-03-07, 11:32 AM   #8
Rosoaa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by WeeBaby
Well I installed the Cartographer Import module and didn't see any of my MetaMap notes pop up I will survive without them I guess starting to like Cart so not going to get too upset about having to make all new notes. Also a question on Bongos2 Everytime I log in the minimap button for Bongos2 is there. I go into the menu uncheck the box to get rid of it and it goes away like I like. I log out and log back in it is there again! Is this some default thing that I can't change permently?

You have to install the newest version. The past versions have had that bug, but just get the newest one here or curse.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Going to try Cartographer