06-07-07, 06:02 PM   #1
celticwulfe
A Kobold Labourer
Map Updater

I am a recent convert from another online game.. and there was a great add on.. call EQ2updater. You ran it before you started the game... as a matter of fact, it booted you into the game.. the map was great because it had most all POI's and NPC's... it was a great add on... is there one similar to this for WoW? I cannot get to the site during work.. so if anyone knows of one, could you respond to me at [email protected].

Thanks...

Wulfe
06-07-07, 06:14 PM   #2
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
nope, no 3rd party executables allowed.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
06-08-07, 01:30 AM   #3
Lywellyn
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Then how is Alla's WoWReader possible? It's a "third party executable" as well.

You would run the EQ2Map Updater program prior to the game, and it would update files that would take advantage of EQ2's UI customization system (somewhat similar to WoW's Addon system). Sony employees themselves were even using it, and they had the same "no third party applications" policy that WoW does.

I would imagine that this could be very doable. Run a WoWMap Updater prior to starting the game, it would update files to your WoW Addons directory, then in game, it would use the WoWMap Addon to display points of interest and stuff like that. Since Addons can interact with files in the Addons directory, I would think that this would be entirely possible.
06-08-07, 03:59 AM   #4
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

This isn't 100% what you were looking for, but the WowAceUpdater will install the newest (often beta, so sometimes they have a few bugs) version of whatever addons you have installed that are also in the wowace site. It won't work on Mac, won't run the WoW executable for you after the update, and won't put it's own POI's on the world map. Might I recomend Cartographer (which it will update!) or MetaMap for all your fancy map goodness.
http://www.wowace.com/wiki/WinAceUpdater

hope that helps a little. I remember seeing some kind of auto updater on the ui.worldofwar.net site too, but I'm a little leery of anything from there.
06-08-07, 05:04 AM   #5
mulesh
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
MobMap is what you are looking for. It does not create a map but only adds a searchable database that marks your game map. It does have a windows application for updating the addon and database (almost exactly like EQ2Updater).

You can get the complete package here:
http://www.mobmap.de/index.php

And if you want to know more about it first:
http://ui.worldofwar.net/ui.php?id=4137

Last edited by mulesh : 06-08-07 at 05:07 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Map Updater