10-16-07, 11:00 AM   #1
snerie
A Murloc Raider
Wow addons settings aren't saved after quitting wow

Hello,

A few days ago i decided to install the new PTR patch so i could test out some new stuff, all went fine for that evening everything worked etc etc.
However the next day i logged on my warrior (normal server) and i found that ALL my addons where reset to their default position (Used Mazzlui then) , so i figured it's prolly the new ptr patch that did this so i set everything back to where i had it and thought the problem was over.
But when wow crashed (alt + tab ftw) and i logged back on ALL my addons where back to there default setting again. So after a whole night of trying to fix it i decided to give up and just delete the Entire wow game + maps etc and start over with a fresh installation.
So i installed wow + bc and patched it as usual.
Logged on my warrior (without addons) and saw that everything worked fine.
But when i used some addon's again (Bartender 3 / X-perl) and set everthing it still didn't safe the positions of the bars and such.

Does anybody have a clue on what is causing this ?

Best regards <
Ceb
10-16-07, 12:10 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Not sure why everything was reset after installing the PTR - it's in its own directory. Did you perchance copy over your Interface and WTF folders to the PTR folder (World of Warcraft\WoWTest) but accidentally move your WTF instead of copy it?

Anyway, your settings weren't saved when the game crashed because it crashed instead of closing properly. Settings are only saved on log out or reload.

Since you've started over completely from scratch, make sure that your WTF folder is not write-protected now.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-16-07, 12:31 PM   #3
snerie
A Murloc Raider
Well my WTF = read -only atm.
And it's still not saving my settings ><.

Now on another forum i was ment to do this :

Happened to me once, just had to use the .bak files (like delete all LUA files in the WTF/Account/<ACCOUNTNAME>/SavedVariables and rename the .bak to .lua - worked for me.

If not delete the SavedVariables folder and the one for your character and reconfigure

But i don't even have .Bak files in my WTF folder or subfolders, Only .LUA files .
10-16-07, 02:07 PM   #4
Lywellyn
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by snerie
Well my WTF = read -only atm.
And it's still not saving my settings ><.
Uh....you just answered your own question o_O If a folder is read-only, programs (such as WoW) cannot write to that folder. Meaning WoW cannot write (save) your settings if your SavedVariables folder is also read-only!
10-16-07, 02:54 PM   #5
snerie
A Murloc Raider
well i changed that about 30 minutes ago , and it still won't save them.
+ i asked a few guildies and they have the WTF read-only aswell

Edit*

I tried changing the Savedvariables to Not read-only but everytime i try to set it it goes back to read only. Doesn't matter which file i pick it goes onto read-only everytsingle time

Last edited by snerie : 10-16-07 at 03:14 PM.
10-16-07, 05:41 PM   #6
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question: which Operating System are you running?
10-16-07, 06:38 PM   #7
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Kaomie
Question: which Operating System are you running?
I smell Vista...

10-17-07, 09:11 AM   #8
snerie
A Murloc Raider
nope i just use windows xp 64bit with latest patches and upgrades.
10-17-07, 09:21 AM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Are you running as administrator or do you have limited privileges on your account?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-17-07, 04:08 PM   #10
Lywellyn
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Well I learned something I thought I would share with everyone here.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Wow addons settings aren't saved after quitting wow