11-09-13, 09:47 PM   #1
kearicb
A Defias Bandit
Exclamation Lags on quest objective update

First and foremost!! Thank you so much for keeping this addon alive. I took a break from the game starting in 2010 just before Mists was due to come out. I was so happy to see it still around!

I have installed the Beta because i was annoyed that the other one did not have a proper map for Timeless Isle.

i have noticed though that while working on quests and i complete a part of it, say its kill a mob, or gather an item. shortly after it lags and the game freezes for about a second. i tend to like doing raids and randoms, anyone knows that that second of hanging can be either the make or break moment of your instance.

I have removed the old carbonite and made a fresh install. It still happens.

Are there any suggestions to fixing this?

12-04-13, 12:02 PM   #2
kearicb
A Defias Bandit
I know you are a busy guy with a couple jobs and so forth. But will there be any updates on the module of the Addon? I really loved the quest tracker feature with the completion sounds. I hate bliz's quest tracker.

01-08-14, 09:13 AM   #3
Zucan
A Kobold Labourer
I wanted to add to this myself... I came to the forums this morning for exactly this issue. I have been playing around with my addons, disabling most of them and enabling selective ones to find out where my lag is. I finally pinned it down to the Carbonite Questing module. For me, however, I really only see the issue in Darkmoon Faire and on Timeless Isle. I think the problem exists in other places, but it isn't bad enough to really bother me.

For Darkmoon Faire, the worst dailies to do are the whack-a-mole, gun shoot, and the target tank games... Each one of those dailies causes an update to the objective count when a mole is whacked or a target is shot. On each update, I get a 1-3 second delay... even worse, I find that I end up missing other targets (since I usually am already in route to my next target) because I over or undershoot the next target.

If I disable the Carbonite Questing module (and only that module), lag completely disappears and I have smooth game play. Of course, I don't get objective updates as I work through the daily.

Can anyone else confirm this issue as well? I am using 5.4.0 Alpha 2.

Thanks!
Zucan

01-18-14, 12:36 AM   #4
eurolink
A Defias Bandit
Lag confirmed

Originally Posted by Zucan View Post
Can anyone else confirm this issue as well? I am using 5.4.0 Alpha 2.

Thanks!
Zucan
I can confirm I'm having this lag issue as well. I completely disabled Carbonite months ago and don't plan on using it again until there's an update to this lag issue. It's that annoying. Been using this addon for years and would love to see it functioning properly again.

01-23-14, 01:04 AM   #5
samnilla
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
My game does this also. Every time I open a mob up to loot it, I get a 1-3 second delay where my screen freezes. The game hasn't stopped though. By that I mean if something was walking past me or I have my fingers on the mouse to move me, once my game gives control back to me, things are where they probably would be as if that delay hadn't happened. So this delays happens very frequently. As much as I'm liking this addon, this is annoying enough that it is just about becoming a show stopper for me.

01-27-14, 03:34 PM   #6
samnilla
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I just finished a quest in Uldum called Gnomeliteration where you have to roll over 1000 gnomes with a fireball. My system usually runs around 30 fps but with the way carbonite was updating the quest as I was killing the gnomes, the framerate dropped down to a dismal 3-8 fps for a lot of the quest. Once I was done killing my gnomes for the quest, I could roll over as many as I wanted to and the framerate stayed stable.

02-22-14, 10:11 AM   #7
samnilla
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I can confirm also that by removing pettracker my game has improved significantly. There is still a very slight pause, but it is very insignificant and doesn't affect game play anymore. Thank you for this tip.

03-05-14, 05:38 AM   #8
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
So I beleive I have found the problem... Carbonite does a quick scan of every area for quest updates.. Pettracker has things it does everytime the map is updated which combined with the rapid map switching carbonite does, creates a small lag

I do set a variable when carbonite is about to do it's scan and unset it after which addons encountering this problem can check for, and in a quick test of adding it to pettracker it seems to be fixed

Can someone else who is having the problem try adding this to pettracker.lua on line 61 it should be right under
function Addon:WORLD_MAP_UPDATE()

Code:
	if Nx and Nx.Quest and Nx.Quest.WorldUpdate then
		return
	end

03-05-14, 09:23 AM   #9
Wrebel
A Defias Bandit
You, sir, are wonderful. Your fix works like a charm

03-05-14, 02:13 PM   #10
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Glad to hear it worked for you.. if other's also report it fixed the problem i'll take it to the creator of Pettracker so they can hopefully include it as a compatability thing between our addons.

03-07-14, 03:55 AM   #11
Sparkplug
A Cyclonian

Seems to work as far as I can tell. Thanks Rythal!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Lags on quest objective update