05-17-10, 09:37 AM   #1
alimjocox
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
legal addon?

So Buffet has been around and its awesome, then I found CreatureComforts as I started rolling a Hunter. And it seems to me that being able to change macros on the fly while your in game without actually typing it in urself is a little borderline illegal (gaming wise), I would imagine anyways. Considering you can put complex intelligence in the Lua, to change a couple of lines in a macro depending on situations going on.

to start of with I was thinking of making a buffet/ccomforts type of addon for Hunter Aspects, if I manage to get it to work awesome moving on to broader horizons which leads to ask would such addons be legal?
05-17-10, 10:15 AM   #2
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
It's not illegal. The Blizzard API allows you to perform certain actions based on events (though it's already limited, for example, pallypower can't smart-cast while in combat).

As a general rule of thumb, anything that you can do with addons is allowed, except when it allows for cross-faction communication (or otherwise breaks the rules, such as generating spam, etc).

When Blizzard doesn't want it to be possible for an addon to do something, they simply change the API so it won't work anymore.
05-17-10, 10:56 AM   #3
NitraMo
A Fallenroot Satyr
I assume you are thinking in the lines of a macro that you spam and it gets updated on the fly to do the things you want?
I think you are missing one restriction, macros can't be changed by scripts while in combat.
05-17-10, 11:57 AM   #4
alimjocox
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
no i knew that

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » legal addon?