07-27-05, 10:20 AM   #1
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Silly Question (Cosmos with other Mods)

I have a large Addons folder with mods I've put together. basically building my own custom GUI like so many other do. I had initially started with Insomniax but soon got tired of this error or that error if I changed something or added something I thought I'd like.

So, anyhow. I was thinking of installing Cosmos basically for the thottbot/tloc function and was wondering if this would screw up my GUI?

Any ideas because I'm pretty lost as to how Mods work with each other. Not to mention Cosmos seems to have this aura of mystery around it. lol

Thanks

07-27-05, 11:21 AM   #2
Gello
A Molten Giant
If you decide to use cosmos, I would back up your SavedVariables and any addons you may not be able to grab again right away.

Cosmos has a "clean install" option (some say is on by default, others say it's off by default--my own test some time ago found it was on by default) to delete mods that are not a part of cosmos. This not only deletes the addons but any data you accumulated in them.
07-27-05, 11:50 AM   #3
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

Before I add any mod I always do a backup of my interface, wtf, and even the wdb directories. Good advice though.

After reading through the readme and taking a look at the files in the zip. I think I'll just avoid it. It's way to much trouble to go through for one simple function.

I don't think I'll try to combine it with my current setup.

07-27-05, 12:06 PM   #4
aretziel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
what function in cosmos do you look for?

and my own opinion about cosmos is thatīs the evil of UI mods =)

--edit--
sorry, haha, I read your post but something was lost in translation
darn I need some sleep =)
07-27-05, 12:27 PM   #5
Random
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
If you're looking for something that can save your data to a website or somthing, character picture, items, etc... then try WoWReader.

As for maps, check out CT_Map and MasterMod. (you need Master as a dependacy).

But if you just want a simple loc there are plenty of those out there too. Titan Bar has one, plus you can add any other information you want to it via plug-ins, I'd check that one out too
07-27-05, 01:06 PM   #6
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

Ya, I've got a Titan Bar full of goodies and CT and about 30 other mods. Loc is one of them.
Perhaps I just misread and/or misunderstand what /tloc does. The function seemed to be more than just a loc number displayed somewhere. I gathered (and I could be completely baked) that when you typed /tloc then coordinates. The /tloc funtion would then display on the minimap an arrow or something of that nature for you to follow.
Mainly, I wanted this because I was trying to put together something for a friend who gets disturbingly lost a lot and even with the Map and loc functions (when they use them) can be lost for sometimes hours, I kid you not.
I myself, very rarely get lost because I'm constantly using the Titan Bar loc, with my maps and I always have a browser open for instant info gathering.

07-27-05, 01:19 PM   #7
Remelio

Its been ages since I used cosmos, but I believe your description of the /tloc command is accurate, or at least there is some way to get it to do that. I'm not sure of any other mod that duplicates that offhand though.
07-27-05, 01:40 PM   #8
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

I've been digging through Curse-Gaming, here, Worldofwar.net, and WoW Guru and I can't find anything that matches the /tloc function.

I'm going to try and find the description of the /tloc function again and maybe I'll put a request in the request forum. Maybe someone will try to tackle it.

I hate that I have such a hard time with Programming languages or I'd give it a try.

Maybe someday there will be a Lua/XML for total morons and I can learn it finally! hehe

07-27-05, 01:47 PM   #9
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

Ok, I found the description that made me think it was more than it was.
I also found a more accurate description of it on the thottbot.com site.

The /tloc command reports your current coordinates in the same units used on the Thottbot WoW site. The numbers update as you walk around, and display beneath the minimap. This can be quite helpful when locating a specific NPC in town.
So, it's nothing special.

So I guess that leaves me with the question of "is there a way to make a loc function guide you to a specific loc?"

I'll have to think about that a frame the question for the Request forums.

Thanks to you who answered my questions.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Silly Question (Cosmos with other Mods)